PSA: replace apostrophes with new apostrophes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBrown90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone filling out secondaries:

I spent an immense amount of time on a secondary for one of my top choice schools and had several people proof-read for typos. After I was satisfied, I copy+pasted the plain text of each essay to the boxes on the secondary, re-read each essay, and submitted. Then, the screen with my final, completed secondary came up, and I saw as every single apostrophe was replaced with a question mark.

So the moral of the story is, replace all apostrophes with new apostrophes.

Thank-you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
same thing happened to me, luckily i still got an interview invite

adcoms can be generous

Type them into a txt file and copy paste from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this wake forest by any chance? The dean of admissions came out on the thread and said they knew about the problem and it won't affect anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Was this wake forest by any chance? The dean of admissions came out on the thread and said they knew about the problem and it won't affect anything.

It was. Thank you for letting me know!

same thing happened to me, luckily i still got an interview invite

adcoms can be generous

I made a very small grammatical error on my ACMAS that I didn't catch until I had submitted everything (including secondaries). It doesn't make the sentence grammatically incorrect, just awkward and makes it sound as if I'm FOB.

Still got 4 interviews and counting.

So yea, adcoms seem to be very forgiving.

I made a very small grammatical error on my ACMAS that I didn't catch until I had submitted everything (including secondaries). It doesn't make the sentence grammatically incorrect, just awkward and makes it sound as if I'm FOB.

Still got 4 interviews and counting.

So yea, adcoms seem to be very forgiving.

I rearry want to go to your school. Sorry saw FOB and immediately thought of this haha.

This is very likely an error in the school's system and not an error on your part. My school's system does the same. No effect on your application, "replacing" the apostrophes won't do anything.