Psy.D./Ph.D. Acceptance Thread (2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Reno?

Members don't see this ad.

2 weeks isn't that long, and keep in mind - it's still very early! The program may have another (later) interview day or the faculty might not meet for another week after the last interview date. If they aren't done interviewing or haven't met altogether as faculty, then they won't be giving updates to applicants. There can be other reasons too - like figuring out funding, waiting to see who accepts spots in other labs, etc.

Anecdotal experience - I had my acceptance email ready to send to Program A, but I hadn't heard back yet from Program B (which I really liked). I assumed I was waitlisted or declined. I called Program B's DCT that day...and a few hours later, I was offered a spot. Turns out, they had just been waiting to finalize funding. So contacting the DCT (or POI) is OK, but I would probably wait longer to do so (unless you are holding spots from other places).

Thanks BuckeyeAlum! Do you remember how long you waited for to hear back from Program B? Now I'm onto my third week of waiting...

School: Florida International
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Ph.D.
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Clinical Psychology
Funding (optional): Fully funded
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Waiting on news from 4 other schools post-interview, but it's in my top 2!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to prepare myself (and *hopefully* I'll need this advice), but what are you all saying when you get the call offering admissions? Are you accepting on the spot if it's your top choice? If it's not my top choice I will obviously want to wait until hearing back from there but I'm not sure about whether or not people immediately say yes.

Just to prepare myself (and *hopefully* I'll need this advice), but what are you all saying when you get the call offering admissions? Are you accepting on the spot if it's your top choice? If it's not my top choice I will obviously want to wait until hearing back from there but I'm not sure about whether or not people immediately say yes.

I just interviewed at clinical Ph.D program that urged all applicants to rank their top picks ahead of time and hold one offer at a time, as a courtesy for everyone involved in the process (from applicants on waiting lists to programs hoping to recruit the best students possible).

For example, if you received an offer from your 4th choice school, but then you received an offer from your 2nd choice, you should drop your 4th choice offer as soon as possible. While waiting to hear from your 1st choice school, you can hold on to your 2nd choice school's offer until you find out whether or not you'll get an offer from your 1st choice

Reactions: 1 users
I just interviewed at clinical Ph.D program that urged all applicants to rank their top picks ahead of time and hold one offer at a time, as a courtesy for everyone involved in the process (from applicants on waiting lists to programs hoping to recruit the best students possible).

For example, if you received an offer from your 4th choice school, but then you received an offer from your 2nd choice, you should drop your 4th choice offer as soon as possible. While waiting to hear from your 1st choice school, you can hold on to your 2nd choice school's offer until you find out whether or not you'll get an offer from your 1st choice

Sorry, I think I may not have phrased my question correctly. If it's your top choice school are you accepting on the spot or asking to take some time and review the formal written offer? Thanks!

Express excitement, and let them know that you'll make a decision after reviewing the formal offer - Schools aren't supposed to pressure you to make a decision to accept or decline, but they may remind you to not hold more than 2 offers at once

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, I think I may not have phrased my question correctly. If it's your top choice school are you accepting on the spot or asking to take some time and review the formal written offer? Thanks!

Opps, sorry that I misread your question. At that point in the process, you now have the upper-hand so I would definitely request a brief period to review and consider their funding offer before fully committing. It's courteous and a smart strategy even when applied to situations outside the application process, like looking for a full-time job

School: Nova
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Ph.D
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Clinical
Funding (optional): Unknown at this point
Track (optional): Forensics
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet but will soon.

Of those that have been accepted to Nova's PhD program, has anyone heard from their mentor?

Feeling very upset and in the dark about things. I received a very nice email from my POI stating that I am her first alternate on her wait list (posts on TGC only refer to their high alternate status) and that she continues to believe I am an good fit for the program. She said it was a very difficult decision as to which person the first offer went out to and asked if I have accepted or have any other offers. For those of you who have been through this before, does this sound like a generic email sent? Would she be talking about being first on the wait list on the entire program or just for her lab? Another poster on TGC commented that their POI said the department was being stingy about extending interviews, does this mean that some POI could potentially fund more than one student? This is my top choice and really the only program I want to accept at so really trying to be realistic about my chances of an acceptance offer. Anyone have any wait list stories?

School: University of Denver
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Counseling
Funding (optional): Half graduate assistantship plus scholarship
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet but most likely will.

Last edited:
Feeling very upset and in the dark about things. I received a very nice email from my POI stating that I am her first alternate on her wait list (posts on TGC only refer to their high alternate status) and that she continues to believe I am an good fit for the program. She said it was a very difficult decision as to which person the first offer went out to and asked if I have accepted or have any other offers. For those of you who have been through this before, does this sound like a generic email sent? Would she be talking about being first on the wait list on the entire program or just for her lab? Another poster on TGC commented that their POI said the department was being stingy about extending interviews, does this mean that some POI could potentially fund more than one student? This is my top choice and really the only program I want to accept at so really trying to be realistic about my chances of an acceptance offer. Anyone have any wait list stories?
It sounds like it's a genuine email. The program that was "stingy with approving offers" I assume you are referring to Miami in OH... I saw that too but considering it seems that multiple people received that line with their waitlist notification, I think that was a generic response to individuals who simply were not given initial offers. It might lighten the blow for some because they will think 'oh, I'm a top pick but maybe the program is having difficulty finding funding for me.' Unfortunately, reality is that programs simply do not have the funding to accept every student who is a great fit.

So in your case, it was probably a really tough decision for the POI, but the other person had just a slight edge over you or whatever, and they received the initial offer, but there is still a chance for you. The POI really likes you! They just don't have funding secured for you so can't extend an offer at this time.

I'm waitlisted at my top choice too. But I remain hopeful. My POI has initiated contact with me twice since interviews and most recently asked if I had accepted anywhere else. So I would like to believe that I am worthy of a position in the program, there just isn't enough funding and I wasn't first choice.

Last edited:
Yes, if people ask if you have accepted any other offers that is a good sign. That means they want you and they want to see if you are available should the first offer decline/other spots open up. Don't give up hope just because you don't get the first offer! I didn't get it but ended up at my top choice due to my advisor deciding to take more than one student. Also, I got later offers from other programs because people had declined their spots. This process can take weeks. It is very demoralizing to not get first offer, but try to keep your hopes up, especially with a promising email like that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks FLpsychstudent and joygirl22 for your kind and uplifting words, as I wish you all the best! Joygirl22, I really hope that you are accepted into your program!! As far as my POI goes, it scares me a little that she thinks she will know more in a week. Granted, the individual who was offered the spot first technically has until April 15. What is the process usually like as far as making decisions? I am aware these things drag out for long periods of time, but was wondering if this is a bad sign I will know so soon (i.e. the person may need a week to think it through and will accept). I guess it is sort of a good sign that the individual did not accept immediately or within a day or two, as I would have. I anticipated not hearing for a long while if the person was going to reject, but maybe my reasoning is backwards. What do you all think?

School: East Carolina University
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Clinical Health
Funding (optional): $14500-15000/9 months, health insurance, tuition waiver
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Yes!

School: American University
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Waiting to hear back from one other school where I interviewed very recently, but should be able to accept/reject within the next two weeks

Edit: received a rejection from the one other program I was waiting for, so I will be accepting the offer from AU. Very excited, especially since this was my second year going through the application process :) good luck all!

Last edited:
School: Roosevelt University
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Psy.D
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet but I probably will

Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet but I probably will

To Roosevelt poster, was this a mass email?

To Roosevelt poster, was this a mass email?
I'm guessing that a group of applicants who came for the interview probably received this email although the content was addressed to me with the first few sentences somewhat individualized. It was from the program director who was also my POI.

Funding (optional): Small scholarship
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet. Have more interviews, but right now it's a top choice.

Reactions: 3 users
School: Nova
Track (optional): Forensics
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet but will soon.

Of those that have been accepted to Nova's PhD program, has anyone heard from their mentor?

Yep me!

School: Nova Southeastern University
Funding (optional): None >_< --- pretty sure......
Track (optional): Child
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, but will soon!

School: Northern Illinois University
Funding (optional):
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Still have a few more interviews to attend

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to y'all so far and good luck to everyone still waiting.

Reactions: 4 users

School: Ole Miss

Funding (optional): Tuition waiver plus 10,000 or 17,500 stipend
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, im done with interviews but I am torn between it and Louisville. I have a hard decision to make in the next few days...

Reactions: 6 users
School: Wayne State University
Funding (optional): Not sure yet but fully funded with a stipend.
Track (optional): Neuropsychology
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, but probably will soon

School: Ole Miss.
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): .Ph.D..
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): .Clinical Psychology.
Funding (optional): Tuition waiver plus 10,000 or 17,500 stipend.
Track (optional):.
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, im done with interviews but I am torn between it and Louisville. I have a hard decision to make in the next few days....

I'm also incredibly torn between two offers so I commiserate. Good luck making a decision. This is honestly the hardest and most unpleasant part of the process to date (I'd rather take the GRE again even, ha.)

Yep me!

School: Nova Southeastern University
Funding (optional): None >_< --- pretty sure......
Track (optional): Child
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, but will soon!

Congratulations!

The only reason I think there is finding is based on what Dr. Lewis said at the end of the interview day. He said "we have only financially allocated 10 spots." Also, a few current PsyD students I know said the program is funded. I guess we will see.

Congratulations!

The only reason I think there is finding is based on what Dr. Lewis said at the end of the interview day. He said "we have only financially allocated 10 spots." Also, a few current PsyD students I know said the program is funded. I guess we will see.

I was told that there is absolutely no funding available. I heard that they "experimented" with tuition remittance a few years ago, but it didn't work out. My official acceptance letter did not come with any offer of financial assistance.

I was told that there is absolutely no funding available. I heard that they "experimented" with tuition remittance a few years ago, but it didn't work out. My official acceptance letter did not come with any offer of financial assistance.

Yeah mine didn't either-

School: Binghamton University
Funding (optional): fully funded via TAship
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?:
Offered admission 2/16; finally made my decision to decline today.

School: University of Arizona
Funding (optional): fully funded via TAship/RAship
Track (optional):
Offered admission 2/16; finally made my decision to accept today.

This was a heartbreaking process of choosing because both POIs were an amazing match both in terms of interests and personality fit, and both BU and U of A are really strong PCSAS programs... but I feel like I made the right decision. It feels good to finally have this settled!

Reactions: 9 users
School: University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Funding (optional): fully funded for 4-5 years
I did, because its the bee's knees. BUT until I receive and sign the formal contract or whatever I'm staying on two wait-lists (which haven't had any movement so I'm not hurting anyone else)

Congratulations everyone! This process is almost over! Yaaay

School:
Fordham University
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): PhD
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Applied Developmental
Funding (optional): stipend + full tuition scholarship
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Tied 1st. Plan on making the decision in the next 2 weeks after consulting with current professors/advisors.

School: Texas Tech
Funding (optional): stipend + partial remission + fellowship
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: See above. It's hard to make the decision!!

School: Baylor University
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): PsyD
Funding (optional): Full + Scholarship
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Yes! : ) (turned down four others after interviews)

Reactions: 5 users
School: Hofstra
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Ph. D.
Funding (optional): Roughiy $21k total tuition remittance
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Still waiting to hear back from one program, but I'm likely to accept!

School: Eastern Michigan University
Funding (optional): Fully funded for 4 years (only 3 for me because I am completing a terminal masters here)
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Tied with below, ended up declining.

School:
University of Nevada-Reno
Funding (optional): Full funding for the first 1-2 years, after that no promises, but you're basically funded as long as you're doing paid externships in the area
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Yes.

This was an agonizing decision, but the training at Reno is out of this world. I'm super excited!

School: Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Program: Counseling Psychology
Degree: phD
Funding: Tuition waiver and stipend included in offer

I will be accepting!

School: University of Akron
Funding (optional): Full funding
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Received a call from POI with the good news. Waiting for the official notice to come.

School: Widener
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, waiting to hear from two other programs

School: Colorado State University
Funding: Fully funded
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Accepted. Anyone else headed to Fort Collins?

School: Wayne State University
Funding (optional): Not sure yet but fully funded with a stipend.
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet, but probably will soon

If you don't mind me asking, who is your POI?

School: Florida Institute of Technology (FIT)
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Psy.D.
Funding (optional): lol nope
Track (optional): Integrated Behavioral Health
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: not yet but I probably will!

School: George Washington University
Funding (optional): N/A
Track (optional): Child/Adolescent Track
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Most likely declining, but still making my final decisions. Also waiting for updated info on accreditation status

So I was informed exactly a week ago by the DCT of my top choice that I was placed on the wait-list but that I am rather high on it. I emailed him back saying the program was still my top choice for several reasons but mainly because my research interests are aligned with that of my POI. While my POI was cc'ed in those emails, I never really emailed her directly. I really would like to maintain contact with her throughout this waiting process because she would be able to give me a better idea of what my chances are..I am also considering reapplying to work with her next year in case this does not work out so emailing her may help me establish a relationship with her and improve my chances next year. What are your thoughts? How long should I wait before I email her? Your advice and opinions are very much needed!

So I was informed exactly a week ago by the DCT of my top choice that I was placed on the wait-list but that I am rather high on it. I emailed him back saying the program was still my top choice for several reasons but mainly because my research interests are aligned with that of my POI. While my POI was cc'ed in those emails, I never really emailed her directly. I really would like to maintain contact with her throughout this waiting process because she would be able to give me a better idea of what my chances are..I am also considering reapplying to work with her next year in case this does not work out so emailing her may help me establish a relationship with her and improve my chances next year. What are your thoughts? How long should I wait before I email her? Your advice and opinions are very much needed!

I was recently accepted to the program that was my top choice off of the wait-list. When I was notified by an admin assistant that I am on the wait-list, I emailed back inquiring my status emphasizing my interest in the program. The assistant forwarded my inquiry to my POI, and my POI emailed me that I was high on the wait-list. I did not communicate since then, and about 3-4weeks later I got an acceptance letter. So I think you did great by showing your interest, but you also don't want to be pushy. So I would say just wait until you hear back.

I'm so glad to be able to post in this thread!

School: Pacific University
Funding (optional):
Track (optional): Adult/Generalist
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: As soon as I could, I did!

Due to location and program specifics, this was my first choice. I didn't get child track or forensic track, which were my first two choices, but I'm hoping to do as much as I can to learn about profiling, testing, and trait analysis. So, hopefully I can go that route. Yay!

Funding (optional): Small scholarship
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet. Have more interviews, but right now it's a top choice.

I'm very curious about Roosevelt. I was thinking about applying there. Could you tell me about it? Was there something specifically interesting about it that drew you to it?

Congratulations everyone! This process is almost over! Yaaay

School:
Fordham University
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Applied Developmental
Funding (optional): stipend + full tuition scholarship
Track (optional):
Tied 1st. Plan on making the decision in the next 2 weeks after consulting with current professors/advisors.

School: Texas Tech
Funding (optional): stipend + partial remission + fellowship
Track (optional):
See above. It's hard to make the decision!!

Wow, one in the Bronx and one in the middle of nowhere in Texas... lol, quite a decision! I know someone who goes to TT for School Psych and he loves it for what it's worth! Very curious what you decide.

Just received my email from Spalding PsyD with my admissions decision!

Anyone else?

This morning I officially accepted the offer from UIUC's clinical and community psychology PhD program! I am SO excited to have a decision made, and I wish those of you still in this process peace and clarity regarding your options. :biglove:

Reactions: 15 users

I'm sure it was a complete coincidence this was during the program re-acred. process w. APA….