Psy.D./Ph.D. Acceptance Thread (2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, one in the Bronx and one in the middle of nowhere in Texas... lol, quite a decision! I know someone who goes to TT for School Psych and he loves it for what it's worth! Very curious what you decide.
Yes absolutely! I am back to almost deciding on Texas Tech though! Ultimately it is a clinical psychology program and that's what I've wanted all along. I can deal with the "middle of nowhere" and seek out stuff to do. If anything, I'll be too busy to play anyway! The students I met there really liked it too :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes absolutely! I am back to almost deciding on Texas Tech though! Ultimately it is a clinical psychology program and that's what I've wanted all along. I can deal with the "middle of nowhere" and seek out stuff to do. If anything, I'll be too busy to play anyway! The students I met there really liked it too :)
Oh go with TT! The BBQ and TexMex alone is probably worth it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my supervisor graduated from TT Clinical program and many of their graduates acquire academic psychology faculty positions at major universities. He worked with Dr. Greene when he was a student at TT.

One of my supervisor graduated from TT Clinical program and many of their graduates acquire academic psychology faculty positions at major universities. He worked with Dr. Greene when he was a student at TT.
Thank you!! That's awesome to know!!!

School: Yeshiva
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): PsyD
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Clinical
Funding (optional): 10,000 plus 10,000 loan
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- please advise! #3 on my NYC list, but I loved it when I visited.

School: City College, Grad Center
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): PhD
Funding (optional): full
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- really high on my list. Would love to hear others' thoughts.

School: Long Island University, BK
Funding (optional): 50%
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- tied for #1 if I stay in NYC.

School: Adelphi
Funding (optional): 10,000
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- #2 on my NYC list

School: George Washington
Funding (optional): none
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Did not answer but declining based on other choices.

Also think I have a great shot at DU and Wright.

Anyone have any advice? Im leaning towards a program that will have the best clinical training and assessment, and not too much research/dissertation headaches. I do have a good idea on a topic I might like to look into and would like a place where I can have the option to do that as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm having insufferable doubt about the schools I was accepted into, and can't make a decision! I've been holding onto two offers for about a month. Both are very well-regarded schools, but something feels off about both. Or perhaps it's just my anxiety. Anyone is/been in a similar situation? What have you done?

I'm having insufferable doubt about the schools I was accepted into, and can't make a decision! I've been holding onto two offers for about a month. Both are very well-regarded schools, but something feels off about both. Or perhaps it's just my anxiety. Anyone is/been in a similar situation? What have you done?

Just a friendly reminder, from the policy on this: "Do not hold more than two offers for more than one week unless there is specific information (e.g., a visit is scheduled, funding decisions) you are waiting to receive from the program. Difficulty making up one’s mind is not considered an adequate excuse to limit the options available to other applicants."

Reactions: 11 users
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- please advise! #3 on my NYC list, but I loved it when I visited.

Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- really high on my list. Would love to hear others' thoughts.

Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- tied for #1 if I stay in NYC.

Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet- #2 on my NYC list

Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Did not answer but declining based on other choices.

Anyone have any advice? Im leaning towards a program that will have the best clinical training and assessment, and not too much research/dissertation headaches. I do have a good idea on a topic I might like to look into and would like a place where I can have the option to do that as well.

My god, don't hold onto so many offers!!! I don't know why you wouldn't choose City College, the only program offering full funding. It may not seem like a big deal now, but you'll be thankful when you finish and don't have ridiculous loans. Especially since you're considering programs in NY and CA. Rent is painfully high.

Reactions: 13 users
if money really isn't a concern for you, just pick the program you liked the most and let someone who needs the funding take your spot at city college? if you don't want much research, the psyd at yeshiva or gw or the phd at liu (if you want the phd over psyd for some reason) are probably your best bet (pending du and wright).

I have officially accepted the offer from Texas Tech Clinical Psychology!!! This is one of the biggest decisions in my life and I'm so happy about it!

Wishing you guys the best with the rest of this process! :) If it helps at all, one factor that weighed a lot for me was how comfortable I will be working with the professor and the lab for the next few years, as I anticipate I will be heavily involved in research. I absolutely adored the people there, especially my POI and the lab, and that really did it for me.

Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone heard from the University of Detrioit-Mercy post interview? I saw a posting on tgc yesterday and am super anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question is for those of you who had to take years off after undergrad to strengthen your resumes...and ended up being successful this round of applying:

So I have a strong feeling I'm going to end up having to take another year off. I got an offer from a phd program that is not funded and just isn't for me and am waitlisted at 1 program (just got removed from one today).

I graduated spring 2014 and worked as a case manager and research assistant part-time each. My gpa is good..my gre scores can be improved. The big question is..should I just do masters then reapply in 2 years OR be a project coordinator at my current lab and reapply in a year (really 8-9 mos)?

Project coordinator….as that will be viewed as more directly useful. An MA/MS should really be reserved for ppl with GPA problems, ppl coming from a different field, or…that is about it.

Reactions: 3 users
This question is for those of you who had to take years off after undergrad to strengthen your resumes...and ended up being successful this round of applying:

So I have a strong feeling I'm going to end up having to take another year off. I got an offer from a phd program that is not funded and just isn't for me and am waitlisted at 1 program (just got removed from one today).

I graduated spring 2014 and worked as a case manager and research assistant part-time each. My gpa is good..my gre scores can be improved. The big question is..should I just do masters then reapply in 2 years OR be a project coordinator at my current lab and reapply in a year (really 8-9 mos)?

I earned my BS in 2012 and this was my first year applying. I applied to 12 schools and got two interviews - One interview lead to an offer (fully funded and good match rate) and the other interview (at my top choice) lead to 'top tier alternate' status, so I'm still holding out for good news there as well.

I thought about applying during my senior year of UG, but I decided to take some time off, and I feel like the last 2.5 years of working full time has really helped me focus my interests. I was able to go into each interview with a really concise narrative of what I've done since graduation, what I want to do in graduate school, and what I want to do after I earn my PhD. I also had really concrete examples of things that I've done as a post-bacc that I'm excited to continue doing in graduate school (e.g. assessment/testing). I spent a lot of my interviews talking about how I've exhausted the opportunities available to me as a researcher with a BS in psych and how I'm excited to take my training to the next level. I also really focused on how important I think it is for clinicians to be engaged in research and for researchers to be active clinicians, and how that rationale led me to pursue a PhD in clinical psych rather than a PhD in experimental psych or pursuing an MA to become a mid level provider.

Looking back on 2012 me vs. 2015 me, I feel 100% more confident in myself as a researcher and aspiring clinician. I got the distinct impression that the faculty were more impressed with my work experience than they were with my educational background, and I just don't think my UG research experience (honors thesis, working as an RA in several labs, posters, etc.) would have cut it if I had applied with the 2012 cohort.

I feel like I've been a more productive researcher working in a lab for the last 2 years than I would have been in an MA program. I could be way off, but I think that some professors were impressed that I had done so much with only a bachelor's degree rather than a masters degree. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it was the the vibe that I got from some of the faculty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Feeling absolutely awful for declining a really nice and helpful professor..... anyone else feeling the guilt?
On another note, withdrew my application from 2 programs. Best of luck everyone! The process is almost over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted admittance at University of Akron and feeling absolutely awful for declining a really nice and helpful professor..... anyone else feeling the guilt?

Really hit it off with my POI at one school (who was the POI of the head of my current program a decade or so ago, not to mention being a national name in the fields of ed and neuropsych), but their funding was a mess and it was in a very expensive area, so I had to turn it down. She was incredibly personable and I would have loved to work with her for the next few years, but practicality won the day (and I'm still very excited about the program I will be attending!).

I earned my BS in 2012 and this was my first year applying. I applied to 12 schools and got two interviews - One interview lead to an offer (fully funded and good match rate) and the other interview (at my top choice) lead to 'top tier alternate' status, so I'm still holding out for good news there as well.

I thought about applying during my senior year of UG, but I decided to take some time off, and I feel like the last 2.5 years of working full time has really helped me focus my interests. I was able to go into each interview with a really concise narrative of what I've done since graduation, what I want to do in graduate school, and what I want to do after I earn my PhD. I also had really concrete examples of things that I've done as a post-bacc that I'm excited to continue doing in graduate school (e.g. assessment/testing). I spent a lot of my interviews talking about how I've exhausted the opportunities available to me as a researcher with a BS in psych and how I'm excited to take my training to the next level. I also really focused on how important I think it is for clinicians to be engaged in research and for researchers to be active clinicians, and how that rationale led me to pursue a PhD in clinical psych rather than a PhD in experimental psych or pursuing an MA to become a mid level provider.

Looking back on 2012 me vs. 2015 me, I feel 100% more confident in myself as a researcher and aspiring clinician. I got the distinct impression that the faculty were more impressed with my work experience than they were with my educational background, and I just don't think my UG research experience (honors thesis, working as an RA in several labs, posters, etc.) would have cut it if I had applied with the 2012 cohort.

I feel like I've been a more productive researcher working in a lab for the last 2 years than I would have been in an MA program. I could be way off, but I think that some professors were impressed that I had done so much with only a bachelor's degree rather than a masters degree. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it was the the vibe that I got from some of the faculty.
Thanks so much for your response! This was really helpful!

if money really isn't a concern for you, just pick the program you liked the most and let someone who needs the funding take your spot at city college? if you don't want much research, the psyd at yeshiva or gw or the phd at liu (if you want the phd over psyd for some reason) are probably your best bet (pending du and wright).

Take the funded program.

@bostongal109 is right, it is not a good idea to hang onto offers for that long, but I know this can be a difficult decision.

I had a friend who was in a similar situation two years ago. She didn't get a good feeling about the school that accepted her for a Ph.D., so she declined the offer rather than go to a place she wasn't getting a good feeling about. She did research for the next year and then re-applied. She was accepted into a program that she absolutely loves, and now she is soooo happy!

It just depends on the person though. If you think you could be happy enough for the next 5-7 years at one of those schools, then accept an offer. If not, just continue to strengthen your CV and then reapply in the next round for a program/mentor/school that you will be over-the-moon about. Hope this helps. And for the sake of the people on the wait list, I hope you make a decision soon :)

School: Roosevelt University
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Psy.D
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Clinical Psychology
Funding (optional): Unknown at this point
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet but I probably will

Congratulations! I applied for the MA program. I'm glad you got in. this just ups my anxiety to hear back from them though :(

School: University of Texas at Austin
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Ph.D.
Funding (optional):
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Likely, but not official yet

School: University of Texas at Austin
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Ph.D.
Funding (optional):
Track (optional):
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Likely, but not official yet

So jealous! What a great school. Congrats!!

School: Idaho State University
Degree: Ph.D.
Program: Clinical
Funding:
Track:
Did you accept this offer:

Well I was rejected from my top choice school :( but received two other offers. And now I can't decide what to do. Now I'm *that* obnoxious person holding on to two offers. I won't hold on to them both for more than a week though! I've nagged too many people about doing that, ha. Decisions Decisions. Wish I got in to my top choice and this wasn't an issue...

Good luck bostongal! All you need is one and you have two :) best of luck in your decision!

Track (optional):

Track (optional):

Track (optional):

Track (optional):

Track (optional):

If money is not an object keep your #1 - and let go of the rest. Seriously.

Accepted into my top choice program (Florida State) for clinical psych, and could not be more excited!

I was accepted to both St. John's (PsyD) and Fordham's (PhD) School Psych Programs. I am having a super tough time deciding. Funding at SJU seems to be better, but I am not sure exactly how much they would give at the moment. Any insights?

Accepted off the wait list at UDM

I was accepted to both St. John's (PsyD) and Fordham's (PhD) School Psych Programs. I am having a super tough time deciding. Funding at SJU seems to be better, but I am not sure exactly how much they would give at the moment. Any insights?

I just posted about this EXACT same problem on the "Help me decide" thread. We probably met at interviews! So torn. Have you decided yet?

Very glad to hear that it worked for you psycho1391, it must feel awesome to have an offer! 473912, I am guessing UDM stands for the University of Detroit-Mercy.

I just posted about this EXACT same problem on the "Help me decide" thread. We probably met at interviews! So torn. Have you decided yet?

@schoolpsychnerd -- Thanks for posting this, I didn't realize there was already a discsussion there! I replied to you on that thread.

School: Roosevelt University
Degree (Psy.D., Ph.D., Ed.D): Psy.D
Program (Counseling, Clinical, School): Clinical Psychology
Funding (optional): Small scholarship
Did you accept the offer, if not, where did you accept?: Not yet. Have more interviews, but right now it's a top choice.

Did you end up choosing Roosevelt's PsyD program?

upload_2017-6-28_9-35-3.jpeg