Psy.D programs for CBT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydprospect

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking at Psy.D programs, but am having trouble finding many that have a CBT emphasis (most seem to be oriented towards psychodynamic). Is anyone able to recommend good CBT Psy.D programs and/or any resources that can give me further direction? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine) and LaSalle University both have CBT oriented programs.

University of Hartford & LIU - CW Post have a good amount of CBT emphasis.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vast majority of Psy.D. programs (as well as Ph.D. programs) will have a strong emphasis on CBT training, so you most likely found the couple/handful of Psy.D. programs that emphasize psychodynamic training.

I wouldn't get too hung up on this one issue. Most quality grad programs will give you grounding in a variety of schools of thought. This is a good thing. You may think CBT (or whatever) is the way to go before you start your training, but once you get out there doing therapy, you might change your mind. Studies suggest that the vast majority of clinicians describe themselves as eclectic.

:luck:
Dr. E

Rutgers has strong CBT and Psychodynamic Training.

In terms of Philly-area schools, PCOM is actually almost strictly CBT, whereas Widener, Rutgers, and LaSalle have some emphasis in CBT.

I'd say that, though I personally am integrative in my style of therapy, I am mainly anchored to CBT. I find it helpful to have a primary form of conceptualizing, while having the training and capability to have flexibility, tailor to clients, and incorporate other ESTs, like ACT, DBT, etc. For me, primary CBT training was the way to go, and I've been really happy about that decision.