About the ads

Psy.D programs for CBT?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by psydprospect, Jun 1, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. psydprospect

psydprospect

Pre-Psychology

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am currently looking at Psy.D programs, but am having trouble finding many that have a CBT emphasis (most seem to be oriented towards psychodynamic). Is anyone able to recommend good CBT Psy.D programs and/or any resources that can give me further direction? Thanks!
  2. clinpsych

clinpsych New Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    PCOM (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine) and LaSalle University both have CBT oriented programs.
  3. mcvcm92

mcvcm92

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    University of Hartford & LIU - CW Post have a good amount of CBT emphasis.
  4. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The vast majority of Psy.D. programs (as well as Ph.D. programs) will have a strong emphasis on CBT training, so you most likely found the couple/handful of Psy.D. programs that emphasize psychodynamic training.
  5. Doctor Eliza

Doctor Eliza

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wouldn't get too hung up on this one issue. Most quality grad programs will give you grounding in a variety of schools of thought. This is a good thing. You may think CBT (or whatever) is the way to go before you start your training, but once you get out there doing therapy, you might change your mind. Studies suggest that the vast majority of clinicians describe themselves as eclectic.

:luck:
    Dr. E
  6. futurepsydoc

futurepsydoc

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Rutgers has strong CBT and Psychodynamic Training.
  7. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've met some great CBT-oriented faculty from LaSalle and Rutgers.
  8. ClinPsychEnthus

ClinPsychEnthus Psy.D. candidate, VA intern

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In terms of Philly-area schools, PCOM is actually almost strictly CBT, whereas Widener, Rutgers, and LaSalle have some emphasis in CBT.

I'd say that, though I personally am integrative in my style of therapy, I am mainly anchored to CBT. I find it helpful to have a primary form of conceptualizing, while having the training and capability to have flexibility, tailor to clients, and incorporate other ESTs, like ACT, DBT, etc. For me, primary CBT training was the way to go, and I've been really happy about that decision.