Psych GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can take the psych GRE in late September and have the scores ready to send with my applications due at the end of this year? The ETS website says scores will be ready to send by 11/7 (i think), and the earliest my applications are due is around thanksgiving. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless something has changed, the subject tests are only offered on select dates each year. I believe it is usually once in the spring, once in the summer, and once in the fall (typically mid-October).

https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/centers_dates/

I took the same approach as you, briarcliff, in taking the psych subject test. I took the test in the fall for that same application cycle. If I remember correctly, my test was in October(?) and I had no problems meeting the earliest application of December 1st. It should be noted that I compulsively checked the ETS website for my scores (once or twice a day until I saw that they were posted).

Looks like they're now using the DSM-5 too: https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/psychology

Thanks everyone! I had never planned on taking the psych GRE until recently ($150 + $27 to send scores to each school - That's $555 to send scores to 15 schools), but after I went through my list of schools, I found that there were many more than I had originally anticipated that either require the Psych GRE or strongly recommend it.

The whole process seems a little backwards to me and kind of like a scam - Why should people with undergraduate psychology degrees, published research specific to our areas of interest, and years of relevant work experience have to pay hundreds of dollars to take a test that proves we have a basic understanding of our field's core concepts? I could understand school's requiring people without undergrad psych degrees to take it to prove general competence, but it seems a little silly (insulting?) to require all applicants to take it. I've heard of people who have never taken the Psych GRE being admitted to schools that require the subject test, but I'm not prepared to take that risk, so I guess it's time to bite the bullet and register!