psych intern year- count for prelim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triathlondoc12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I have a question: I am currently on a radiology rotation and have just matched into another specialty (Psych). I am happy with my match but just can't help but wonder if I should have discovered this amazing specialty sooner. (no fault but my own of course and school scheduling of electives). My question is this: how would I go about re-applying into a radiology position next year or in the future in case I decide I am not in love with my chosen specialty? I don't believe my intern year will count as I only have 4 IM months and 2 Neuro and 6 months psych, so I would assume I'd have to re-do intern year and match to an advanced spot also? I know this is difficult seeing as my intern year is not covering what would normally be easier to slide into a PGY-2 spot or so... any guidance from anyone on how best to approach this scenario? thanks so much and congrats to those who matched!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it can count, PDs have wiggle room and maybe they could front vacation time too. If you want it and independently prepare on your own u could start rads correct. Do an away rotation or get close with ur rads dept

Especially rads, its not like a surg prelim yr and u dont have clinic hrs to log pgy2 on

If you are considering switching specialties starting PGY 2 please let me know because I am considering switching specialty myself from IM-Psy to categorical Psych. If you leave it might create an open spot which might help my situation.