Psych residency... step 2 needed??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an osteopathic medical student and I took only comlex level I last year (ended up with 475)
I signed up for USMLE step 2 and I just took NBME form 6 and got a score of 212.
I took NBME form 4 about 2 weeks ago and got 230, but it was self-paced so I decided to not count that score (or -20 points at least...)
I realized the passing score has been raised to 209 for step 2 starting this month and i'm feeling very uneasy about this test....
I have my step 2 in 4 days and i'm debating whether or not to cancel it.
I guess my options are

1) risk failing step 2 but just take it on 7/22 for the sake of applying early (not feeling confident at all after that 212 on NBME 6)
2) just not take step 2 at all and apply with only COMLEX score
3) postpone step 2 to August and apply late to MD programs (or apply early and then report step 2 score when it gets released... if that is possible. I'm not even sure if it's worth the wait, considering that I will be doing my rotations through August and won't have that much time to study)

Any feedback on your experience would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

The NBMEs have a very sensitive curve. I took two back to back and had a 25 pt difference. I wouldnt let one lower score freak you out if the trend is good with the trend including qbanks. You dont need step 2 for psych but if youll do close to average or better it will help

Reactions: 1 user
The NBMEs have a very sensitive curve. I took two back to back and had a 25 pt difference. I wouldnt let one lower score freak you out if the trend is good with the trend including qbanks. You dont need step 2 for psych but if youll do close to average or better it will help

thanks for your input. It's somewhat reassuring that psych programs dont absolutely require step 2..... I have postponed my step 2 to August (might end up just not taking it.... the scores will be released late in October anyways, which would be too late anyways) I'll take UWSA maybe 1 week before the schedule step 2 and if I score 220+ then i will take the exam... if not, oh well i'll just apply with COMLEX score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched into a well-regarded allo psych program with only COMLEX (no USMLE 1 or 2). I will say there are some places that will look for either a USMLE 1 or 2 score, but most places will take COMLEX. The worst thing you can do for your application is take the USMLE and fail it. If you think there's any possibility of that, I'd suggest you not take it.

No matter what you decide to do, just make absolutely sure you take COMLEX Level 2 soon. The fact that I took it early was brought up at the majority of the programs where I interviewed. Several made no secret of the fact that they don't rank a candidate without a Step 2 score.

Last edited:
I matched into a well-regarded allo psych program with only COMLEX (no USMLE 1 or 2). I will say there are some places that will look for either a USMLE 1 or 2 score, but most places will take COMLEX. The worst thing you can do for your application is take the USMLE and fail it. If you think there's any possibility of that, I'd suggest you not take it.

No matter what you decide to do, just make absolutely sure you take COMLEX Level 2 soon. The fact that I took it early was brought up at the majority of the programs where I interviewed. Several made no secret of the fact that they don't rank a candidate without a Step 2 score.

I am taking comlex level 2 on 7/28. So, I should apply to programs as soon as my COMLEX level 2 gets released, is this correct?
and could you please tell me which programs don't rank a candidate without a step 2 score? I guess i should not bother applying to those programs if I end up not taking step 2.
Also, how do you search for "good" programs that are not going to close down in middle of your training?
thank you so much for your input.

I am taking comlex level 2 on 7/28. So, I should apply to programs as soon as my COMLEX level 2 gets released, is this correct?
and could you please tell me which programs don't rank a candidate without a step 2 score? I guess i should not bother applying to those programs if I end up not taking step 2.
Also, how do you search for "good" programs that are not going to close down in middle of your training?
thank you so much for your input.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant that programs won't rank a candidate without a Step OR LEVEL 2 score. On the interview trail, I met several people who were planning to take their Step or Level 2 in December or January and some programs said flat-out that they won't rank candidates without that score back. The fact that you're taking Level 2 on July 28th is great!

As for applying, apply on the first day. Don't wait for your Level 2 score to come back. I took my Level 2 in August, applied to programs on the day ERAS opened (actually submitted it the following day) and got my score back soon after that. By the end of the first week of ERAS being open, I already had my first two interviews. The next week, I got a few more. DO NOT wait for your Level 2 score to come back. Just apply. If the score isn't back, some programs may wait to offer an interview, but some will offer anyway. And as soon as your score comes back, you'll get even more interviews.

As to your last question, there are no guarantees, but it's not common for psych programs to just close down. My rule of thumb is to try to target well-established programs at an academic center, preferably with other residency programs. If you check the psych forum, you can do a search and get feedback on practically any program in the country to get a better sense of how it's run, how well-established it is, etc.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant that programs won't rank a candidate without a Step OR LEVEL 2 score. On the interview trail, I met several people who were planning to take their Step or Level 2 in December or January and some programs said flat-out that they won't rank candidates without that score back. The fact that you're taking Level 2 on July 28th is great!

As for applying, apply on the first day. Don't wait for your Level 2 score to come back. I took my Level 2 in August, applied to programs on the day ERAS opened (actually submitted it the following day) and got my score back soon after that. By the end of the first week of ERAS being open, I already had my first two interviews. The next week, I got a few more. DO NOT wait for your Level 2 score to come back. Just apply. If the score isn't back, some programs may wait to offer an interview, but some will offer anyway. And as soon as your score comes back, you'll get even more interviews.

As to your last question, there are no guarantees, but it's not common for psych programs to just close down. My rule of thumb is to try to target well-established programs at an academic center, preferably with other residency programs. If you check the psych forum, you can do a search and get feedback on practically any program in the country to get a better sense of how it's run, how well-established it is, etc.

thank you for your insight! I was confused about this whole applying/waiting for scores to come back and your tip helped greatly. Concerning AOA residencies, should I apply early to those programs as well, and by early how early?
I know that AOA can download applicant's apps starting in July 15th but my app is nowhere complete, not to mention that some of my 3rd year attendings didn't even fax out my LoR or my evaluations yet.......

You should apply as early as you can. I only applied to one AOA program and that was in September. I got an interview, so it worked there. I don't know what timeline the others operate under though.

You should apply as early as you can. I only applied to one AOA program and that was in September. I got an interview, so it worked there. I don't know what timeline the others operate under though.

Thank you for your tip. My level 1 score is not stellar (475) and i figured I might wait until I get my level II score back (late August I guess...) but i will complete all parts asap...

Don't take USMLE Step 1 or 2 if you'll fail it. BUT, taking it (2 would be easier than 1) and doing above average would open a lot of doors at ACGME psych residencies, in my opinion.