Psych/Soc section usage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aet818

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering how med schools are using the psych/soc section in terms of applicant review. Like is it used like the writing section on the old MCAT where some schools didn't even know what a score of "s" meant or is it strictly reviewed like the other core sections. I am only asking cause I cannot seem to find any data on this and my Kaplan teacher doesn't know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was just wondering how med schools are using the psych/soc section in terms of applicant review. Like is it used like the writing section on the old MCAT where some schools didn't even know what a score of "s" meant or is it strictly reviewed like the other core sections. I am only asking cause I cannot seem to find any data on this and my Kaplan teacher doesn't know.

Why would it be viewed like the old writing sections? Its another heavily standardized test lol... The material has been provided in review books, khan academy, etc for over a year now.

Why would it be viewed like the old writing sections? Its another heavily standardized test lol... The material has been provided in review books, khan academy, etc for over a year now.

The material might be out there but there's no data that I have found on how the school's are using it. Most medical schools still don't require psychology or soc so why would they look more strictly at a section that is not required for admissions. Also I have read some articles that show that the section is very confusing to understand for admissions committees. That is why I am asking. Granted writing courses have always been required but were mostly ignored on the old MCAT. So do you see the dilemma I'm sort of having?