PSYCH/SOC TPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malek Ayoub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Do you guys take notes while reading TPR PSYCH/SOC? And how long does it take to read the entire book?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can finish it in one day if you want. But then again, I got my first degree in psych so I didn't have to sit there and digest all of the information and try to remember it.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated with a degree in psychology so a lot of these theories and disorders have been pummeled in my head but I still take light notes only because it's been ~2 years since I took an introductory psychology class.

I'm doing the kaplan book and making flash cards for all the terms. It feels like it's taking forever. By the time I'm done it will prob have been about a week on the one book. It is easy reading but a b*tch to memorize all the ridiculous names for common sense ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
The book is concise enough to not need to take notes imo and I have no background in psychology or sociology. I memorized the whole thing and went through it 2 more times over the course of the few months leading to my mcat and these stuff gets into your head pretty easily after the first review. The problem is how they apply so you have to do passages to see what you're getting wrong/missing. I ended up knowing ~95% of the terms I saw on the PS section on the real mcat.

Ok I had to come back to vent. The bolded phrase I just got to was "recognition primed decision model." All that means is intuition. Seriously??

The book is concise enough to not need to take notes imo and I have no background in psychology or sociology. I memorized the whole thing and went through it 2 more times over the course of the few months leading to my mcat and these stuff gets into your head pretty easily after the first review. The problem is how they apply so you have to do passages to see what you're getting wrong/missing. I ended up knowing ~95% of the terms I saw on the PS section on the real mcat.
Yeah I am thinking of doing the same thing. I will be taking my mcat on may 6th. I took many psych courses in college but it is not the same as taking the mcat! Do you remember how long did it take you to go over the book once with memorization? and any general advice would be appreciate it. Thanks

Yeah I am thinking of doing the same thing. I will be taking my mcat on may 6th. I took many psych courses in college but it is not the same as taking the mcat! Do you remember how long did it take you to go over the book once with memorization? and any general advice would be appreciate it. Thanks
The first time I spent 2 full days on the book. The way I did that was reading everything that was on the book, you really have to read everything because this book is basically like the EK of PS since it's so condensed that there's no room for skipping much of anything. Right after the reading I went to the glossary and try to recall all the terms and see what I missed. I did the same thing for the later reviews except I no longer need to spend that much time on it. I note down anything that I tend to forget and google the term in depth to make sure I really got it the week before the mcat.

I will say though that it's not enough to do just TPR. I recommend you also watch the khan academy PS videos, this time you do need notes. Although khan academy can sometimes be "too detailed" imo, I did see a few terms on the mcat that came from khan academy where they're not found on the TPR book.

I also note down any new terms that I see from full lengths and make sure I know them.