Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necodaak8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently researching various careers and one of the careers I have been investigating is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. A few of my questions regarding the field are as follows: What is the job market like? Will it be easy to find a job? Can they establish a private practice? If so, how often do it occur in this career path? How are Psychiatric Np's different than MD's/DO's in terms of job function and responsibility? I understand the differences in degrees etc etc but I would like to know about the everyday grind on he job.

After reading the last few posts regarding PhD's in psychology I decided to not go into the field and find an alternate route. Currently I am considering psychiatric NP, MD/DO psychiatry (a little shakey about this route), and DPM. All input would be great appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently researching various careers and one of the careers I have been investigating is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. A few of my questions regarding the field are as follows: What is the job market like? Will it be easy to find a job? Can they establish a private practice? If so, how often do it occur in this career path? How are Psychiatric Np's different than MD's/DO's in terms of job function and responsibility? I understand the differences in degrees etc etc but I would like to know about the everyday grind on he job.

After reading the last few posts regarding PhD's in psychology I decided to not go into the field and find an alternate route. Currently I am considering psychiatric NP, MD/DO psychiatry (a little shakey about this route), and DPM. All input would be great appreciated!

You have to be a nurse first. Here's the Pearson Report which should help: http://webnp.net/ajnp08.html

Psych NPs are in demand. I've seen salaries up to $130,000. Some states (see the report) allow independent practice. Jobs may differ in roles and responsibilities as compared to what MD's/DO's do.

Deleted...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Deleted...

Last edited:

A psych. NP would be the best return of investment. Salaried positions for psych NP's dwarf that of a psychologist (100-130k vs. 60-80k) and in 12 states you could practice independently. You can do therapy and meds - though just because you are licensed to do therapy doesn't mean you will be trained effectively to do it :)

The only con is that you will be a NURSE.

Personally, I'd do MD/DO. Self-disclosure: I'm a PhD psychologist.

A psych. NP would be the best return of investment. Salaried positions for psych NP's dwarf that of a psychologist (100-130k vs. 60-80k) and in 12 states you could practice independently. You can do therapy and meds - though just because you are licensed to do therapy doesn't mean you will be trained effectively to do it :)

Why would you pick MD/DO over the NP route?

Why would you pick MD/DO over the NP route?

More opportunities (better pay, can practice in any state, other countries etc), and the prestige/credibility factor. Of course, the costs (time, emotional and financial) are significantly greater.

The salary range for psych NPs varies greatly depending on the state. The >100,000K salaries are in the independent practice states where NPs can essentially function as physicians. In other states, starting salaries are much more comparable to psychologists' pay; I've seen starting ranges from $55,000 - $85,000.

Psych NPs can legally do therapy, but most do not receive adequate training in it and some receive no training at all, and no agency or hospital will hire a psych NP to do therapy.

The return on investment for psych NPs is considerable - larger than medical school and certainly greater than a doctorate in psychology.

The return on investment for psych NPs is considerable - larger than medical school.

Really? Now that sounds like a rather biased statement unsupported by fact. If you think you're going to be independently practicing and seeing the best patients at the best clinics and hospitals as an NP in any field, I believe you are likely mistaken.

independent practice states where NPs can essentially function as physicians.

Nobody who isn't a physician can "essentially function as a physician." You mid-levels manufacture this in your own heads. Patients don't believe it. Other healthcare providers don't believe it. Pull up the Mayo website and show me how many NPs are practicing independently there in any specialty. The only places mid-levels "essentially function as a physician" are places physicians don't want to function. How do all of you anti-doctor people wind up on the "Student Doctor Network?" They really need to rename this thing to something else.

FYI, PhDs are the original "doctors" so maybe all of you so-called doctors should rename your site.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I definitely did not intend for this post to become a war zone. Sorry! However, RGMSU no need to be confrontational. While the comments made might be incorrect you can respond in a much more calm manner. Out of all the forums on here I actually find that the psych forum communicates the most effectively so lets try and keep it that way. On to the essence of the original post. I have been considering a PhD in clinical Psychology for a lot time; however, recent posts on here and talking to several people in the field I have come to realize the major shortcomings after acquiring the PhD and it is truly unfortunate. As a result, I am looking into other options and recently want information regarding a Psychiatric NP degree. Therefore, if anyone has more information about the field that would be greatly appreciated. The Mental health system in general seems to be so confusing. I graduated college with a BS in Biology and then right after got an MS in biology but got a job as a Mental Health counselor in a psych ward. There are MFT's, SW's PsyD, PhD's, MD/DO's, Psych NP's, and at my hospital RN's that act as NP's and pretty much run the unit, MHC's, Psych techs, etc etc. Some make way less than they should, other fields are in direct competition with the other, fight for prescription rights etc etc. It gets very complicated for myself. So, as of right now I am just going to focus on information regarding the Psych NP and see if that might be a good fit for myself. Thank you everyone for your time and feedback.

Being a nurse is a pro, considering that you can get a job just about anywhere.

You'll learn therapy but certainly not to the level of a psychologist, who are the tops in therapy...and who are paid squat for that honor.

FYI, PhDs are the original "doctors" so maybe all of you so-called doctors should rename your site.

Did I say anything about PhDs? Don't think so. We were talking about NPs "practicing as physicians." They're not - they're practicing as nurse practitioners, which is what their name suggests. Didn't say one damn thing about any PhD. Oh, and when you decide to have a PhD do your heart surgery instead of a "so-called doctor" let me know huh?

Being a nurse is a pro, considering that you can get a job just about anywhere.

You'll learn therapy but certainly not to the level of a psychologist, who are the tops in therapy...and who are paid squat for that honor.

As usual, you're posts are about the only ones around here that make much sense. Bravo. Why be a psychologist and fight for prescription rights when you can have them through other established means? Makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Ok, I definitely did not intend for this post to become a war zone. Sorry! However, RGMSU no need to be confrontational. While the comments made might be incorrect you can respond in a much more calm manner. Out of all the forums on here I actually find that the psych forum communicates the most effectively so lets try and keep it that way. On to the essence of the original post. I have been considering a PhD in clinical Psychology for a lot time; however, recent posts on here and talking to several people in the field I have come to realize the major shortcomings after acquiring the PhD and it is truly unfortunate. As a result, I am looking into other options and recently want information regarding a Psychiatric NP degree. Therefore, if anyone has more information about the field that would be greatly appreciated. The Mental health system in general seems to be so confusing. I graduated college with a BS in Biology and then right after got an MS in biology but got a job as a Mental Health counselor in a psych ward. There are MFT's, SW's PsyD, PhD's, MD/DO's, Psych NP's, and at my hospital RN's that act as NP's and pretty much run the unit, MHC's, Psych techs, etc etc. Some make way less than they should, other fields are in direct competition with the other, fight for prescription rights etc etc. It gets very complicated for myself. So, as of right now I am just going to focus on information regarding the Psych NP and see if that might be a good fit for myself. Thank you everyone for your time and feedback.

I'm not trying to be confrontational. All I'm trying to do is cut through the bull and give you the truth instead of all the bull floating around on here. The people running the show in mental healthcare and making the major bank are the psychiatrists. Anybody who tells you any different is lying. Again, I'm still waiting for someone to show me a nationally renowned mid-level in psychiatry. There are plenty of nationally-renowned psychiatrists. If you want to be at the top of the profession and rule the roost, become a psychiatrist. If you can't or don't want to, fine. I'm just tired of hearing people say that mid-levels are "practicing as physicians." No, they're not. They're practicing as mid-levels. Show me one physician who would adopt the title NP and relinquish the title MD and I'll recant everything I've said. How many NPs would like to be called an MD tomorrow and drop the title NP? Enough said.

Really? Now that sounds like a rather biased statement unsupported by fact. If you think you're going to be independently practicing and seeing the best patients at the best clinics and hospitals as an NP in any field, I believe you are likely mistaken.

By return on investment, I meant the cost:compensation ratio. CMHCs in my city pay PMHNPs 2/3 of what psychiatrists earn - NPs start at ~125K and psychiatrists start at ~185K. So, you do the math; 2 years post-baccalaureate training for the NP and ~ $35K educational cost vs. 8 years postbac for the psychiatrist and ~ $200K educational cost. I'm not implying that they're equal, but the cost/benefit ratio is clearly in the NP's favor.

And, as a psychologist & NP, I practice completely independently in the CMHC where I work 1 day/week, I'm an attending with full privileges at a private residential treatment center where I work 1-2 days/week, and I function entirely autonomously in my private practice including prescribing and managing meds.

I'm not a physician, do not purport to be one, and have never allowed anyone to think I'm one. I am more than happy and satisfied being a psychologist and PMHNP.

Why not combine the two? Get a PN and a masters so that you can become a licensed professional counselor (LPC).

YOu get the best of both worlds - counseling skills and the salary of PN, ability to write meds, etc. You can even go into private mental health practice that way (and charge more than you could with only a lpc). your 4 years of school will still be less than most phds, too. of course, that is assuming you can skip the rn/bsn degrees. just a thought......

I'm merely a minor pawn/grunt/peed upon, so rarely privy to the kinds of deliberations the higher ups have about patient care/the status of the industry/etc. But -- what the heck is a "best" patient?

I'm merely a minor pawn/grunt/peed upon, so rarely privy to the kinds of deliberations the higher ups have about patient care/the status of the industry/etc. But -- what the heck is a "best" patient?

There are certain socio-economic standards that many would find desirable for the majority of your patient base. I'm also referring to attracting the most interesting cases, if that's what you're looking for. I'm talking about private, for-profit medicine here.

Cash-paying, bring you food, etc....:D

Not interested in food from my patients - who knows what they might try to spike my brownies with? I will take the cash-paying ones though.

Not interested in food from my patients - who knows what they might try to spike my brownies with? I will take the cash-paying ones though.
They probably trust you too, as trust is very much a two-way street.

There used to be openings for adversarial psychologists at Guantanamo Bay but I hear those opportunities (using the methods of psychology to increase suicidality in prisoners) are moving stateside.

Okay, easy everyone.

I think what RGMSU is trying to say is that there IS a big difference in being a physician and "functioning as a physician." He/she is absolutely right in that physicians have much more rigor, depth, and length in their training that do Nurse Practitioners. It needs to be understood that there is a much greater "turf" war in medicine between MDs/DOs, NP, DNPs, PAs, and so forth. People in medicine, particularly MDs/DOs, are now partially on the defensive in order to preserve their well deserved specialty. It shouldn't be that way, they shouldn't have to defend, but they are forced to nonetheless. There is a misconception that mid-level providers can perform the same duties that a MD/DO can. They cannot...although you will certainly find anecdotal information to support that they can. Besides, I have seen RGMSU's previous posts and he/she is quite supportive of psychology.

Yes, there are drawbacks to being a PhD psychologist. The primary reason is that we are one of the very few kinds of PhDs that are involved in clinical/medical work in a hospital, etc. As a result, our pay is not what it should be given the fact that we take 11 years to licensure, far longer than any other profession. Most PhDs such as chemistry, biology, etc are separated from a medical clinic and therefore, have limited interactions with the hierarchies of the medical world.

Psychology folks often interact more easily as there is an easier separation of duties between an LPC and a PhD (although certainly overlap). In general, we all understand that there is room for each of us to learn from one another.

I work in a hospital and I hear the snide comments from the nurses about the physicians and I also hear the comments from PhDs that MDs/DOs are trade school doctors with on the job training. I also hear the MDs/DOs say that PhDs aren't "real doctors." Of course, I also hear surgeons say that the other physicians aren't real doctors, especially psychiatrists. Rude...uninformed...stupid...all of it. I often don't interact with those people as they seem to have the title to support their ego, rather than to use the title to help their patients. Besides...I have too much damn work to do.

So...to the original OP. If you want to work in psychology/psychiatry, yet still get the flavor of medicine as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner...go for it. You will certainly find a job that pays well. However, don't forget the rumblings that go on that will certainly influence your career.

That's exactly what I meant. It's "he" for anybody who's interested. And, yes, I am supportive of both NPs and psychologists.

That's exactly what I meant. It's "he" for anybody who's interested. And, yes, I am supportive of both NPs and psychologists.

What about shamans? :D

"Not interested in food from my patients - who knows what they might try to spike my brownies with? I will take the cash-paying ones though. "

Gee,thanks, says your patient who may have just found you on this site..(schmuck)

Except for the administrator or director of many BH programs....who are Ph.Ds.

Psychiatrists indeed rule the roost in many programs, many state MHRS regulations require this.

Okay, easy everyone.

I think what RGMSU is trying to say is that there IS a big difference in being a physician and "functioning as a physician." He/she is absolutely right in that physicians have much more rigor, depth, and length in their training that do Nurse Practitioners. It needs to be understood that there is a much greater "turf" war in medicine between MDs/DOs, NP, DNPs, PAs, and so forth. People in medicine, particularly MDs/DOs, are now partially on the defensive in order to preserve their well deserved specialty. It shouldn't be that way, they shouldn't have to defend, but they are forced to nonetheless. There is a misconception that mid-level providers can perform the same duties that a MD/DO can. They cannot...although you will certainly find anecdotal information to support that they can. Besides, I have seen RGMSU's previous posts and he/she is quite supportive of psychology.

Yes, there are drawbacks to being a PhD psychologist. The primary reason is that we are one of the very few kinds of PhDs that are involved in clinical/medical work in a hospital, etc. As a result, our pay is not what it should be given the fact that we take 11 years to licensure, far longer than any other profession. Most PhDs such as chemistry, biology, etc are separated from a medical clinic and therefore, have limited interactions with the hierarchies of the medical world.

Psychology folks often interact more easily as there is an easier separation of duties between an LPC and a PhD (although certainly overlap). In general, we all understand that there is room for each of us to learn from one another.

I work in a hospital and I hear the snide comments from the nurses about the physicians and I also hear the comments from PhDs that MDs/DOs are trade school doctors with on the job training. I also hear the MDs/DOs say that PhDs aren't "real doctors." Of course, I also hear surgeons say that the other physicians aren't real doctors, especially psychiatrists. Rude...uninformed...stupid...all of it. I often don't interact with those people as they seem to have the title to support their ego, rather than to use the title to help their patients. Besides...I have too much damn work to do.

So...to the original OP. If you want to work in psychology/psychiatry, yet still get the flavor of medicine as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner...go for it. You will certainly find a job that pays well. However, don't forget the rumblings that go on that will certainly influence your career.

:thumbup:

Psychiatrists indeed rule the roost in many programs, many state MHRS regulations require this.

It truly does vary from state to state, and potentially even from county to county within a state.

Also, I don't think RGMSU is at all off-base here. Saying that an NP/PA can meet the job requirements of an MD/DO would be akin to making the argument that, for example, a master's level school counsellor can function in the role of a neuropsychologist in test administration and interpretation (a point which I've heard has been argued in the forensic arena).

The physician shortage in many areas is just forcing many mid-level medical practitioners to take on greater responsibility, which in turn is possibly swaying some public (and professional) opinion on the matter. Thus, MD/DO's, as previously mentioned, really are seemingly in an unfortunate "turf war" at the moment.

From what I've heard, a similar (albeit smaller-scale) situation popped up in Louisiana with the proposal of prescription privileges for psychologists.

Last edited:
I think there is a small career opportunities for psychiatric nurse. I recommend Pediatric nurse because there are more children in need of nurse’s attention.

While pediatric nurses are indeed invaluable, I'm not sure what information you've used to determine that children are more "in need of nurse's attention" than mental health patients, at least as things currently stand.

Also, this thread is primarily discussing obtaining a psychiatric NP degree/licensure in addition to becoming licensed in clinical psychology as a way to prescribe psychiatric medications, rather than discussing nursing more generally as an entire field (other than anecdotal experiences posted by those of us with RN mothers, which are generally always entertaining).

Hello all,

Like the originator of this post, I am working toward a psychology degree. I am an NP with a doctorate in nursing practice and am working toward a PhD in Psychology. My experience is in surgical private practice of sorts...contracting with surgical groups as assistant surgeon, with a specialty in cardio-thoracic surgery. I did my residency at Johns Hopkins and have practiced in Nevada for over 10 years.

My question is in regards to private practice once I get the PhD. Will I need to align with an MD or DO in order to prescribe? Can I prescribe?

My question is in regards to private practice once I get the PhD. Will I need to align with an MD or DO in order to prescribe? Can I prescribe?

It is always best to check with your state licensing board. A number of states allow for independent practice (without physician oversight), while others require the NP consult/review cases with a supervising physician. The Ph.D. has nothing to do with the NP licensing.

I am a student in a Doctor of Nursing Practice program in Child and Family Psychiatry in Arizona. I specifically chose nursing as I prefer the nursing model of delivery of care to the medical model.

Psychiatric NP's marketability, autonomy, and financial compensation in comparison to other health care professionals in the same field is dependent upon many factors. The biggest factor is usually the location in which you choose to practice as there are varying laws that govern the PsyNP scope of practice that are regulated at both the federal and state level.

Some states afford their PsyNP's parity among other healthcare professionals while in other states the profession is greatly restricted.

For example in my case upon graduation and becoming board certified I am allowed to practice independently to include owning my own private practice with full prescribing privileges (schedule I-V). Physician collaboration is at my discretion. However, if you are an employee then the organization you work for may have other policies in place that govern this relationship despite state laws and the requirements may be different depending on the organization.

In my personal experience I recently completed a clinical internship with a psychiatric NP who was in private practice who bills $180 for a 1 hour psychiatric evaluation and $85 for a 15 minute medication management visit which seems to be the typical rate here in AZ for NP's. The hours are set by her and she works 4 days a week and she shares call with another NP in the practice with her. In a typical day she will see 15-20 clients. Most clients are medication management. Collection rates are 85-90% of billed services (you do the math...she is doing quite well for herself).

There is a shortage of psychiatric providers in AZ (and contrary to popular belief it is not just in the areas physicians do not wish to work...I live in Scottsdale and my prospects are quite good) and upon credentialing with various insurance carriers it is very likely for one to obtain a full practice within 4-6 months. However, credentialing usually takes 1-2 years depending on the insurance carrier...so employment or establishing a cash only practice may be necessary initially or you may just wish to be an employee and become credentialed through your organization.

So, I would look at the state laws in which you choose to practice, the level of autonomy that is important to you, personal importance of professional parity, and your personal philosophy in regards to delivery of care and then decide if the medical model or the nursing model is the best fit. I prefer the nursing model of health care delivery to the medical model and professional parity and autonomy is extremely important to me so being a doctorally prepared PsyNP in Arizona is a great fit for me. If I lived in say Alabama though it would be an entirely different story...I would either have to move or settle for being educated in the medical model of health care delivery.

Feel free to contact me regarding the differences in the medical and nursing model...it is too much to go into here. I would never give up my NP designation for an MD designation. And, I do not consider myself a mid-level practitioner. I am a mental health care provider and upon completion of my coursework and clinical experiences will have over 10 years of formal education under my belt and be over $200K in debt. I am not a physician nor do I wish to be. I only wish to provide high level quality care within my scope of practice while partnering with my clients in a way that acknowledges individual preferences while also serving my profession in a way that encourages inter-disciplinary collaboration and the efficient integration of evidenced based practice.

But, my guess is that Mr. A & M might perceive my intentions as trying to "mess with Texas"...its all good! ;-)

typically NP's are not trained in therapy (although that may depend on certain programs) but an emphasis on CBT and Motivational Interviewing are usually addressed due to their accepted efficacy in application across many mental health issues.

typically NP's are not trained in therapy (although that may depend on certain programs) but an emphasis on CBT and Motivational Interviewing are usually addressed due to their accepted efficacy in application across many mental health issues.

You can always get excellent training in psychotherapy by doing intensive workshops with experts. They are relatively affordable compared to doctoral training in clinical psychology.

Why not combine the two? Get a PN and a masters so that you can become a licensed professional counselor (LPC).

YOu get the best of both worlds - counseling skills and the salary of PN, ability to write meds, etc. You can even go into private mental health practice that way (and charge more than you could with only a lpc). your 4 years of school will still be less than most phds, too. of course, that is assuming you can skip the rn/bsn degrees. just a thought......

This sounds like a good idea. What do others think?

For example in my case upon graduation and becoming board certified I am allowed to practice independently to include owning my own private practice with full prescribing privileges (schedule I-V). Physician collaboration is at my discretion. However, if you are an employee then the organization you work for may have other policies in place that govern this relationship despite state laws and the requirements may be different depending on the organization.

Schedule I? Can I get an appt with you?:D

You can always get excellent training in psychotherapy by doing intensive workshops with experts. They are relatively affordable compared to doctoral training in clinical psychology.
Thank you for the information regarding obtaining additional skills in therapy. I know many PsyNP's who wish to also provide therapy in their practices. I wish to be a purely medication management provider but also recognize that even in that capacity proficiency in therapeutic communication is important.

Schedule I? Can I get an appt with you?:D
Well...they did just pass the medical marijuana law here in AZ....alas I am still just a lowly student and without a DEA #...sorry...that should read II-V ;-)

I think there is a small career opportunities for psychiatric nurse. I recommend Pediatric nurse because there are more children in need of nurse’s attention.
This depends a lot on geographical location...and in my area there is a severe shortage of psychiatric NP's who specialize in treating children...

Nobody who isn't a physician can "essentially function as a physician." You mid-levels manufacture this in your own heads. Patients don't believe it. Other healthcare providers don't believe it. Pull up the Mayo website and show me how many NPs are practicing independently there in any specialty. The only places mid-levels "essentially function as a physician" are places physicians don't want to function. How do all of you anti-doctor people wind up on the "Student Doctor Network?" They really need to rename this thing to something else.
There are many overlaps in PsyNP's scope of practice and Psychiatrist's scope of practice. This varies based on geographical location and state laws regulating NP scope of practice. In AZ as a board certified PsyNP with a DEA # I will be able to assess, diagnose, treat, prescribe (including controlled substances), order diagnostic tests, interpret diagnostic tests, refer to other health care providers, and utilize critical analysis of research in the implementation of evidenced based practice independently under my own license...the only limitation I may face is in obtaining full hospital privileges but based on my personal practice interests I do not see this as an issue.

Perhaps the biggest difference between doctorally prepared NP's and physicians is in the theoretical constructs that embody the delivery of care and the nursing emphasis on client advocacy and health maintenance through the dissemination of health information/education and the importance of public health. Nursing has always been about prevention and maintenance (primary and secondary levels of care) while medicine has always been about restoration (tertiary level of care).

NP's and physicians should be able to operate in tandem along this continuum in sincere collaboration in the best interest of the client to provide the best standard of care based on the best evidence taking into account the personal values and beliefs of the client in a way that enables them to experience their best quality of life. Quite honestly...everything else is just ego noise and interferes with the delivery of quality care. Blah, blah, blah, I'm a doctor, blah, blah, blah, your just an NP who couldn't make it as a doctor. Yeah, No.

i thought np was a 2year masters degree? is it more than that?

QUOTE=Karen Shelton;11356427]There are many overlaps in PsyNP's scope of practice and Psychiatrist's scope of practice. This varies based on geographical location and state laws regulating NP scope of practice. In AZ as a board certified PsyNP with a DEA # I will be able to assess, diagnose, treat, prescribe (including controlled substances), order diagnostic tests, interpret diagnostic tests, refer to other health care providers, and utilize critical analysis of research in the implementation of evidenced based practice independently under my own license...the only limitation I may face is in obtaining full hospital privileges but based on my personal practice interests I do not see this as an issue.

Perhaps the biggest difference between doctorally prepared NP's and physicians is in the theoretical constructs that embody the delivery of care and the nursing emphasis on client advocacy and health maintenance through the dissemination of health information/education and the importance of public health. Nursing has always been about prevention and maintenance (primary and secondary levels of care) while medicine has always been about restoration (tertiary level of care).

NP's and physicians should be able to operate in tandem along this continuum in sincere collaboration in the best interest of the client to provide the best standard of care based on the best evidence taking into account the personal values and beliefs of the client in a way that enables them to experience their best quality of life. Quite honestly...everything else is just ego noise and interferes with the delivery of quality care. Blah, blah, blah, I'm a doctor, blah, blah, blah, your just an NP who couldn't make it as a doctor. Yeah, No.[/QUOTE]

It is a 2-year master's program - Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree, unless you are doing a DNP program. Arizona State is one of the schools that has transitioned to a DNP only curriculum and no longer offers the MSN degree. But, there is no difference in scope of practice between the two from a legal perspective. At this point, the DNP does not add anything to NP practice except the controversial "Doctor" title.

QUOTE=Karen Shelton;11356427]There are many overlaps in PsyNP's scope of practice and Psychiatrist's scope of practice. This varies based on geographical location and state laws regulating NP scope of practice. In AZ as a board certified PsyNP with a DEA # I will be able to assess, diagnose, treat, prescribe (including controlled substances), order diagnostic tests, interpret diagnostic tests, refer to other health care providers, and utilize critical analysis of research in the implementation of evidenced based practice independently under my own license...the only limitation I may face is in obtaining full hospital privileges but based on my personal practice interests I do not see this as an issue.

NP's and physicians should be able to operate in tandem along this continuum in sincere collaboration in the best interest of the client to provide the best standard of care based on the best evidence taking into account the personal values and beliefs of the client in a way that enables them to experience their best quality of life. Quite honestly...everything else is just ego noise and interferes with the delivery of quality care. Blah, blah, blah, I'm a doctor, blah, blah, blah, your just an NP who couldn't make it as a doctor. Yeah, No.
[/QUOTE]

While the current level to practice as an NP is the MSN there is a push to change that to the DNP by 2015 by the ANCC. My guess is this will eventually be the standard even if it doesn't happen by the projected date...this has been the case within many professions that originally did not require the doctorate as the terminal degree...nursing should be no different (although I may catch some flack for that from other nurses).

Last edited:
Wow this has to be the most ignorant post in the thread.

The English language has been calling physicians colloquially as "doctors" since at least the 1300s, well before the existence of the PhD and even the MD.

Most physicians in the United Kingdom have a bachelors degree (MBBS), but are still called doctors by the British people. The American colonialists were calling physicians "doctors" well before the founding of the USA and before a doctorate degree was even given to physicians.

The original English usage of the word doctor referred to a priest or physician and had nothing to do with their degree. This traditional English usage is completely different with that of calling someone with a doctorate degree a Doctor, and is far more deeply rooted into the psyche of the English language. When you teach your toddler the word doctor for the first time, the picture in the book is most certainly a physician and not a PhD.