Psychiatric practice in Oregon vs. Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priorities2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be relocating to attend a psych NP program in the fall and am choosing between UT-Austin and OHSU. I was hoping that some people in this forum may be able to shed some light on the differences in psychiatric practice environment between these two states. I'm sure there are big differences and would love to hear more about them from anyone who has knowledge about practicing psychiatry in these locations. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From an NP perspective, Oregon recently passed a bill which requires equal reimbursement among all independent providers that can bill for services. I imagine given your position that would be advantageous.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, think about what you're saying. Now consider your audience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, think about what you're saying. Now consider your audience.

This could indeed get contentious pretty fast. OP, it might be better to find a forum for psychiatric NPs and see what they think. Things vary from state to state for NPs, including supervision rules and whatnot. I know NPs can practice entirely independently in Oregon, and yes, there was that parity law. There's not actual salary parity, though, and I'm not sure how that plays out. No clue about Texas.

I think I changed my mind and am now deciding between Yale and OHSU. Any thoughts?

Here's a thought: You're posting in the wrong forum.