Psychiatry Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tyler, TX = Redneck central. An absolute ****-hole.

ok, well i was just trying to be nice, but yeah, you're right

Members don't see this ad.

Lucrative 100% Outpatient Opportunity in Psychiatry"

Practice at a Glance:
Employed Opportunity, 100% Outpatient
175k Salary + Productivity Incentives
Sign On Bonus, Car Allowance, and Loan Repayment
Comprehensive Benefits Include Health and Paid Malpractice
Will Assist in Training for Subutex Detox
Paid CME
No Call

Charming Lake Charles Area:
Short Drive to the Gulf Coast
Outdoor Enthusiasts Enjoy Abundant Hunting, Fishing, Boating, Golf & Water Ski Year Round
The "Festival Capital of Louisiana": More than 75 Fairs, Festivals and Special Events Each Year
Southern Food and Comfort
Close to Houston Metro Area
Low Crime Rate
Lakeside Real Estate Available
Great Place to Raise a Family

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to school in NYC. I've personally seen rates at $375 for initial 90min evals and then $250-300 for a 50 minute session. If you've somehow carved out a niche treating upper east siders and your office is on 5th avenue, you can double these.

For these fees, you must be available to your patients 24/7. I personally know one who told a hypomanic patient, "if you can't sleep after taking these benzos (don't remember what amount it was), call me no matter what time it is." Don't know if thats standard of care or not, but these patients seem to be getting an awesome level of care.

For these fees, you must be available to your patients 24/7. I personally know one who told a hypomanic patient, "if you can't sleep after taking these benzos (don't remember what amount it was), call me no matter what time it is." Don't know if thats standard of care or not, but these patients seem to be getting an awesome level of care.

Well, standard of care?:rolleyes: I guess the purpose is to keep them coming forever for those $250 sessions, and that probabaly explains these "dependence inducing techniques" used for these neurotics.

Well, standard of care?:rolleyes: I guess the purpose is to keep them coming forever for those $250 sessions, and that probabaly explains these "dependence inducing techniques" used for these neurotics.

Nothing says fun like hooking a patient on a benzo and then treating them in between when they feel anxious.

Well, we have no details about the case, but it's perfectly reasonable to prescribe a short-term benzodiazepine in the context of sleep disturbance in hypomania.

I have different opinions on the "call me no matter what time it is" stuff. Namely, that I don't do that...but again, a dose of ativan for sleep induction might be better than an sleep-deprivation switch to a full-blown manic episode. The former is easier to treat. ;)

Well, we have no details about the case, but it's perfectly reasonable to prescribe a short-term benzodiazepine in the context of sleep disturbance in hypomania.

I have different opinions on the "call me no matter what time it is" stuff. Namely, that I don't do that...but again, a dose of ativan for sleep induction might be better than an sleep-deprivation switch to a full-blown manic episode. The former is easier to treat. ;)

You are right. Medication is perfectly fine with me if it is a real manic patient. In fact, I think controlling sleep is the most important thing in these patients. I, too, have a problem with dependence(in a psychological sense) enabling stuff like "call me no matter what time it is." Will he talk him into sleep over the phone?:rolleyes: It will better serve the patient if he calls 911 or someone takes him to a hospital if he is really is starting to have mania.

You are right. Medication is perfectly fine with me if it is a real manic patient. In fact, I think controlling sleep is the most important thing in these patients. I, too, have a problem with dependence(in a psychological sense) enabling stuff like "call me no matter what time it is." Will he talk him into sleep over the phone?:rolleyes: It will better serve the patient if he calls 911 or someone takes him to a hospital if he is really is starting to have mania.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yes, I feel that I'm hypersensitive to enabling and fostering dependence as I finish residency...since I've seen so much of it. I've also seen psychiatrists milk dependence for cash, which is disgusting. As a result of this, I might even admit that I kick the babies out of the tree nest early at times.

Dependence is as pathological and crippling, in my opinion, as its opposite.

I go to school in NYC. I've personally seen rates at $375 for initial 90min evals and then $250-300 for a 50 minute session. If you've somehow carved out a niche treating upper east siders and your office is on 5th avenue, you can double these.

Unfortunately, being available to your pts 24/7 for emergency is standard of care for all specialities including family medicine (although I am always amazed by how many doctors don't return their pages once they are outpt).

The $250-300 per hour fee supposedly pays for all these 24/7 concierge service. If you want to discourage unnecessary phone calls (most of them are for med refills by pts who don't want to come in or lose their paper prescriptions), you can charge additional $50 per pharmacy call-in.

Any new job postings? I'm also wondering how these productivity increases work? Do most jobs pay extra for overtime and/or call?

Here is something I got in my email today. I am not interested in this location, so I am posting it here if anyone else is.

Dear Dr. TheWowEffect,

I don't know exactly what qualities you are seeking in your next practice, but I wanted to let you know of an opportunity that I represent. If you are not looking at the moment, but know of someone who is, please feel free to share my contact information.

First year total compensation of over $336,000!
No Call!
Enjoy a great quality of life schedule
Busy practice with lucrative earnings potential and unlimited upward growth.
Outstanding quality of life and big city culture in a family friendly, historic southern community
A short distance from three major metropolitan areas

Whenever you get a couple of minutes, give me a call and we can go over some of the more detailed information. If this is not what you're looking for, please let me know what qualities you are seeking in your future practice.

Sincerely,
Trevor Smithee

Search Consultant

Timeline Recruiting

2103 Burlington, Suite 900

Columbia, MO 65202

877 884-6354 Toll Free

573 814-5352 Office

573 473-2178 Cell

573 214-2827 Fax

[email protected]

I've been getting so many, I haven't even been posting them.

When I have more time, I should put a few paragraphs together on how the recruiter process works. I have a lot of experience with that now...
:scared:

When I have more time, I should put a few paragraphs together on how the recruiter process works. I have a lot of experience with that now...
:scared:

I'd definitely appreciate a summary of the process. I'm hoping to stay in the area in which I'm training when I'm done, so I'm wondering if the recruiter route is something I'd need/want to explore at all.

Based on the fact that I'm still getting messages from recruiters for a previous fellow on my work voicemail (which clearly states "Dr. So-and-So's voicemail", not "Dr. Such-and-Such" who they're calling for), I am a bit reluctant to go this route, for fear of being hounded.

anymore job postings..i would love to hear about some more opportunities...thanks

As most of you know, I'm in New York City. I've decided to move to Florida after my fellowship this year for a variety of reasons. A good friend of mine who didn't do a fellowship and thus got a head start moved to Florida the minute he graduated.

I searched the APA rag, and some online sites, but was received a call from my friend that he's in this sweet job in a very desirable coastal location making over $200k for 40hr week, reasonable call, and great support staff to do most of the scutty stuff. Does mostly outpatient, with some mornings on inpatient.

He told me he found the job through a recruiter, and gave me the website to post my stuff.

I did it that night.

My phone literally all day the following day. By the time I came home from moonlighting at night the following day, and had checked my emails and had time to listen to voicemails, I had over 20 emails and around 10 voicemails from various recruiters.

In a nutshell:

There is a society called the National Association of Physician Recruiters (NAPR). They have a lot of companies that have recruiters. Virtually all are comission-based. Meaning, if they place you, they get money from the hospital or agency that 'hired' them. Once you place your CV online, recruiters will contact you either by phone or email. Many will only contact you if they have a position that may be genuinelly interesting to you, based upon what you stated on the initial general recruiting website (there are lots of them like mdjobsitecom), such as geographic location, type of practice, etc. Others will contact you with "opportunities" that have nothing to do with your interest. Looking for an adult-only job in a private practice in California? You'll get emails and calls for jobs for a Spanish-speaking immigration child-psychiatry public clinic in West Virginia.

This part is important. You should know that recruiting firms that belong to the above organization operate on a "code of ethics" as one recruiter told me. So, if you are not getting along with a particular recruiter who posited a nice-looking job for you, and you allowed them to send your CV to a specific hospital, and then they don't get back to you, or don't return your call, you can't just get another recruiter to do the same legwork for you. Oftentimes, they do the work in contacting the hospital hiring administrator and "sell" you. In other words, if another recruiter gave your name to a hospital, you are forced to work with only that recruiter to see the job through, or reject it.

I've also discovered that there are ways around this. i.e. contacting the hospital yourself directly. Also, if you find that your resume has been given to a hospital without your permission, you are able to use another recruiter and the latter will likely file some sort of complaint against the former recruiter.

More hints:
Many of the same jobs that exist on the recruiting websites are available at the corresponding hospital website. So if you don't want to use a recruiter, you absolutely don't have to. You can simply contact the hospital directly.

There is a rumor that by using a recruiter, you'll be offered a lower salary because the hospitals pay big bucks to recruiting firms to list the job. Because of this, you'll see these sort of anti-recruiting recruiting websites asking you to pay anywhere from $1000 to $4000 to have them find a job for you. For obvious reasons, this is hard to swing as either a resident or fellow straight out of training. I asked some recruiters, and even a hospital administrator about this, and basically got impression that the recruiting budget is static, and that your salary has nothing to do with where they found you. Generally speaking, however, every recruiter that has contacted me through phone, and 95% of those through email, require no fee. The hospital or facility pays them to find you instead.

If you sign-up with the actual website for the NAPR, you're able to search and get details on jobs that the recruiters conceivably have access to. The jobs have codes assigned to them. I'm not sure if you can then get the hosptial contact info directly from there or not. I haven't tried it yet, and I'm slightly reluctant to sign up there.

Keep in mind also that you can cold-call hospitals in areas in which you want to work - especially in psychiatry. I've known a few friends that have done this in locations throughout the country. It seems that more often than not, psychiatry departments are expanding (as opposed to many other medical specialty depts), have a retiring doc, a moving doc, or simply need more docs. So if you know that you absolutely want to work in Phoenix Arizona, feel free to get the list via google of the places in the area with psych departments, and call them. You might be surprised at the results.

You'll notice that most of what I've been talking about thus far has dealt with inpatient psychiatry. It seems in my search of the southeast U.S. (can't speak too much to the other areas), that the trend is going to a mix...they'll have you do some of both, or may even offer to setup a local private practice for you - either with a zero interest loan payable over two years, or will front the cash with no payback on a contract option. This comes down to personal preference, naturally. Coming out of fellowship and having basically no connections to Florida, for me, I'm more inclined to do at least a year of one of these 50:50 setups (inpatient : outpatient) until I decide what I want later. This keeps me out of contracts, with the ability to move if, say, I find I dislike the city more than I anticipated.

Some say that the best jobs aren't privy to recruiters - that you have to know someone to get the high-end medical director job or posh private clinic gig with the high salary and so on. There probably is some truth to this. However, you'll also notice that there are some high-end jobs in the psychiatry newspapers...so who knows. I can say from experience in my residency that anticipated openings are often filled before they even hit the papers, so there is at least some truth to this.

Some recruiters will ask a sort of pre-screen question set. These questions consist of personal preferences such as:
  1. Geographic location
  2. Requested salary
  3. Limit to assigned call
  4. Inpatient/outpatient preference
  5. Criteria that would qualify a position as the "perfect" job

The call question was always hard for me to answer, since my understanding of call, coming out of residency, is very different than "real world" call. The former, as we know, can consist of all-night extravaganzas with the ER stacked 5-10+ deep in psych patients waiting to be seen or admitted, coupled with the requisite physical pains, vomiting, chest pains, random nonsense complaints, and discharge demands at 2am. When I've asked about call in most of the Florida facilities, it appears to vary as well. Some seem busy (not quite as bad as residency), and some places simply have you carry a beeper and dictate admit orders to nurse practitioners, residents, PAs or the like, rarely requiring you to even see the patient. Your milage will vary greatly depending on the state, culture of the facility, and type of place you're looking at. So to answer how often I was willing to take call, I could only respond by saying that "it depended on what calls consists of."

When all goes well, you'll agree to have the recruiter send your CV to the facility. At that point, they'll look it over, and let the recruiter know if they're in turn interested in you. If they are, they'll contact the recruiter, and basically have them tell you they're interested. The recruiter will then ask for you permission to have a hospital administrator or even doctor call you to discuss job details. If they do, you can consider this a sort of "pre-interview." And if that goes well, they may offer a formal phone interview or to fly you up/down/laterally/whatever to meet you in person. Things would proceed naturally from there as you might expect for any job opportunity.

The good:
  • Recruiters have access to jobs that you may not find easily on the internet or through newspapers.
  • They do a good deal of legwork for you, contacting the hospital, getting specific job info, and if requested, will even send relocation packages to you with useful info such as real-estate listings, local magazines, maps, and things like that (local schools, restaurants, etc).
  • Recruiters, if you show interest, can ask a facility to fund a visit if you ask (if it's not offered already, which it often is). They'll (the hospital) pay for air fare, lodging, rental car, etc.

The bad:
  • The phone calls and emails can get overwhelming - especially considering many or most of the leads you won't want to pursue.
  • Many recruiters will push the same jobs. So you'll say no to a particular job that may seem at first glance to be desirable, but you'll be hounded with that job by 10 different recruiting firms.
  • You'll need to keep a notebook of who contacts you, who you agree to have send your CV, and to where. Avoid the somewhat embarrising scenario where, two months after you showed some interest in a facility, get contacted by a recruiter and get excited about a job, only to find that you forgot that you had a different recruiter send your CV to that place months ago. You just wasted a lot of your time, and the recruiter's time.

The bottom line from my perspective is that recruiters can provide a valuable service, though you'll have to put up with a few months of tons of emails and phone calls. Some people get annoyed with this, but I see it more as a positive thing. Better to be turning down tons of jobs than to struggle to find one at all - especially in this climate.

If I think of more later, I'll post it. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

"mdjobsitecom"

So I guess DO's can't use this service?

Curious if anyone update this post with some of the latest offers.