Psychiatry..Low invites..IMG..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DamaPsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm an MS4 at a carribean school, solely interested in psych..zero red flags, 240 on step 1, 254 on step2, passed Cs 1st attempt, solid personal statement, 3 solid LORs, research experience, 1 publication in a top journal in psych, dont need a visa. Applied to 90 programs (crazy i know but i wanted to be safe since im an IMG) and all i got is 4 interviews so far. How worried should I be? Tbh i expected with my application to be drowning in invitations so Im very disappointed and worried.

Thought?

Members don't see this ad.

I also graduated from a carribean school, but had much lower scores than you and repeated step 1 and 2. I had 10 total psych IVs last year, applied t0 160 programs, and ended up matching at my #4 spot. I still beleive its too early because the majority of my IV invites were in December for January interview dates.

PM me if you'd like.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all,
I'm an MS4 at a carribean school, solely interested in psych..zero red flags, 240 on step 1, 254 on step2, passed Cs 1st attempt, solid personal statement, 3 solid LORs, research experience, 1 publication in a top journal in psych, dont need a visa. Applied to 90 programs (crazy i know but i wanted to be safe since im an IMG) and all i got is 4 interviews so far. How worried should I be? Tbh i expected with my application to be drowning in invitations so Im very disappointed and worried.

Thought?
I had very similar stats and CV, slightly better USMLE. Also applied to tons of programs, which is smart for an IMG. I didn't get any invites in 2009 until November, then I was very busy interviewing. U.S. grads just get invited first to most programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also graduated from a carribean school, but had much lower scores than you and repeated step 1 and 2. I had 10 total psych IVs last year, applied t0 160 programs, and ended up matching at my #4 spot. I still beleive its too early because the majority of my IV invites were in December for January interview dates.

PM me if you'd like.

Wow, majority in december? Im relieved to hear that. I feel like if i get 7 invites i'll feel safe. Thanks for replying

I had very similar stats and CV, slightly better USMLE. I didn't get any invites in 2009 until November. U.S. grads justbget invited first to most programs.

Im glad to hear that, but i keep hearing that psych is crazy competitive this year which is why im worried.

Honestly there are a lot of Amgs who have <5 interviews right now so if anything you're doing well relative to the season. Things are likely to be much tougher on imgs and fmgs this year it looks like. Good luck!

Honestly there are a lot of Amgs who have <5 interviews right now so if anything you're doing well relative to the season. Things are likely to be much tougher on imgs and fmgs this year it looks like. Good luck!
:( </3. Thank you! Good luck to you too.

Big 3 Carib?

With 4 interviews, you're doing well. I got my first one today though board scores are way lower than yours.

Reactions: 1 users
Big 3 Carib?

With 4 interviews, you're doing well. I got my first one today though board scores are way lower than yours.
No a practically unknown, new school.
Congrats on the interview!

Im glad to hear that, but i keep hearing that psych is crazy competitive this year which is why im worried.
2009 was a very competitive year. There were only 11 unfilled spots after the Match in Psychiatry that year, and five of those were in Puerto Rico. IMGs do the most of their interviewing in December and January. You'll get some invites.

I'm in the same boat as you Dama (albeit much lower Step scores and IMG from a European school). I've only heard from two programs post-10/1, which is a bit disheartening. You have stellar stats so I wouldn't worry, invites are just slowly trickling out.

We're just going to have to be super patient....The process is taxing though...

I'm in the same boat as you Dama (albeit much lower Step scores and IMG from a European school). I've only heard from two programs post-10/1, which is a bit disheartening. You have stellar stats so I wouldn't worry, invites are just slowly trickling out.

We're just going to have to be super patient....The process is taxing though...

Patience is not my best quality :D
Hope they start trickling faster for you.

Hey all,

Thought?
You probably have much better stats than most AMGs applying for psychiatry. I am in a similar position as you although with lower step scores. I haven't received any interview invites yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Thought?
so you go to a dubious school no one has never heard of before, can't spell Caribbean, it's only been two weeks since your application has been complete and you expected to be "drowning in invitations?" ? A little presumptious. It's way too early, many programs have not even begun looking at IMG applications. I don't think applying to 90 programs in your situation is crazy at all and was eminently sensible assuming you applied smart and weren't applying to top programs. Recruitment season is until January or even feb so don't fret yet interviews will flow in until late in the seaon, but don't expect programs to be fawning over you either. You need to be really selling yourself when you interview and convince people you're a good bet.

I appreciate the advice, don't really appreciate the tone. Before you talk about someone's spelling mistakes proof read your post first. I applied "smart" and "stupid" and glad I did because 2 of my four interviews are top programs so I guess my "dubious school" wasn't an issue for them. The purpose of this post was to see what's going on with people in the same boat as me, especially after seeing the interview invitation thread, not to get unsolicited advice on how to act in interviews or to be hated on.
so you go to a dubious school no one has never heard of before, can't spell Caribbean, it's only been two weeks since your application has been complete and you expected to be "drowning in invitations?" ? A little presumptious. It's way too early, many programs have not even begun looking at IMG applications. I don't think applying to 90 programs in your situation is crazy at all and was eminently sensible assuming you applied smart and weren't applying to top programs. Recruitment season is until January or even feb so don't fret yet interviews will flow in until late in the seaon, but don't expect programs to be fawning over you either. You need to be really selling yourself when you interview and convince people you're a good bet.

Last edited:
You probably have much better stats than most AMGs applying for psychiatry. I am in a similar position as you although with lower step scores. I haven't received any interview invites yet.
I hope they start flowing in soon for all of us.

I appreciate the advice, don't really appreciate the tone. Before you talk about someone's spelling mistakes proof read your post first. I applied "smart" and "stupid" and glad I did because 2 of my four interviews are top programs so I guess my "dubious school" wasn't an issue for them. The purpose of this post was to see what's going on with people in the same boat as me, especially after seeing the interview invitation thread, not to get unsolicited advice on how to act in interviews or to be hated on.

I think it's just that there is a mass panic here on the forum. I believe splik, wolfvgang, and others have mention that for USIMG/FMG the invites come much later multiple times. So I guess it gets irritating to them, when someone posts on forum to complain why aren't they the exception. Invites will come later, hopefully. All the USIMG psychiatry residents/interns I talk to said the same thing. There will be a few exceptions, but most people I talked to said they have 0-2 IVs in October. Later on they have 10-15 on their ROL come March.

Regardless, I'm glad you got some of your top programs. Though the way I see it... The places that send me IV's are all top programs. Since, they gave me the benefit of the doubt for being an USIMG, and I'm going to treat all the places I interview at if they were top programs.

Regardless, I'm glad you got some of your top programs. Though the way I see it... The places that send me IV's are all top programs. Since, they gave me the benefit of the doubt for being an USIMG, and I'm going to treat all the places I interview at if they were top programs.
That's a really awesome attitude to have about it. Best of luck to you on the interviews man! :)

I hope they start flowing in soon for all of us.
Yes, I absolutely hope so! Waiting is always very hard. It is kind of irritating to see the one guy who expected to be "drowning" in invites, with so many invites. Someone who argues with an attending on an internet forum shows a serious lack of decorum. I wish everyone here the best of luck. I know I will be extremely grateful for any invitations I receive.

*Didn't realize you were the same person! Oh well. Good luck nonetheless.

Someone who argues with an attending on an internet forum shows a serious lack of decorum.

Why? Are attendings above reproach? Do they not make mistakes or stupid comments or have terrible values/personalities sometimes?

Why? Are attendings above reproach? Do they not make mistakes or stupid comments or have terrible values/personalities sometimes?
Absolutely not. Sometimes it's just better to bite your tongue. We are all technically looking for jobs. I don't think it's a good idea at this point.

Absolutely not. Sometimes it's just better to bite your tongue. We are all technically looking for jobs. I don't think it's a good idea at this point.

This isn't real life. It's an Internet forum in which most people are anonymous. I spend all day kissing ass of people who don't deserve it. I'm not going to do it here.

This isn't real life. It's an Internet forum in which most people are anonymous. I spend all day kissing ass of people who don't deserve it. I'm not going to do it here.
Fair enough. I hope it doesn't bite you in the ass.

Fair enough. I hope it doesn't bite you in the ass.

Agree with the above. Just because it is "anonymous" doesn't mean you can't be civil and professional.

And there is a big difference between the ad hominem food fights on the allo forum and the physician/resident forums in terms of tenor and who participates. Time to grow up, maybe, and stop spray pissin' all over these threads?

Agree with the above. Just because it is "anonymous" doesn't mean you can't be civil and professional.

And there is a big difference between the ad hominem food fights on the allo forum and the physician/resident forums in terms of tenor and who participates. Time to grow up, maybe, and stop spray pissin' all over these threads?

Did I hurt your feelings? Disagreeing with you is not unprofessional.

Last edited:
Careful, some moderator will come and sit in between you guys if you cannot play nice.
:nono:

I'm applying for psych too, IMG here from one of the big 3 caribs. I got 5 interviews the first two weeks then it's been crickets until just a couple more trickled in. I also talked to a friend in one of the programs I'm applying to and he said I'm waitlisted. So I do think it's true that most our interviews will come late nov/dec after US grads start canceling interviews, leaving them to us. It sucks, but that's how it goes. Most of my friends matched last year (in other specialties) and they said their interviews came later, as late as january. It's hard not to worry though.

I'm applying for psych too, IMG here from one of the big 3 caribs. I got 5 interviews the first two weeks then it's been crickets until just a couple more trickled in. I also talked to a friend in one of the programs I'm applying to and he said I'm waitlisted. So I do think it's true that most our interviews will come late nov/dec after US grads start canceling interviews, leaving them to us. It sucks, but that's how it goes. Most of my friends matched last year (in other specialties) and they said their interviews came later, as late as january. It's hard not to worry though.

Top 3 carib also. At 10 so far, but 1 is prematch interview later. Most of mine came mid october. I'll be a lot more comfortable with 3 more interviews that aren't prematchs.

SGU, 210 step 1 and 220 step 2. I have 3 psych interviews at very low-end programs. I'm obviously very discouraged and have been in a funk for the last few weeks. I've emailed programs to express interest to no avail. Not sure where to go from here.

SGU, 210 step 1 and 220 step 2. I have 3 psych interviews at very low-end programs. I'm obviously very discouraged and have been in a funk for the last few weeks. I've emailed programs to express interest to no avail. Not sure where to go from here.
Any port in a storm.....

The sad thing is that people I know applying to FM with those stats are at like 9 interviews, with majority University programs. Starting to feel that psychiatry is more competitive this year.....

edit: Originally I thought it was just people panicking, but starting to feel it's not that anymore. Though if it's any comfort. On interviews I been too, most people mention they are at 3-4, so you are about the right number so far.

I've been saying this all along that psych is getting more competitive this year, but no one is believing me.

I heard that at university of Maryland, a whopping 10 out of 120 MD are going for psych.

At the med school here at my program in NYC, med students interested in psych went from 4 to 9 this year.

But there is still 6 weeks for cancellations, so I'm hoping you guys get another 3 ivs at least.

Good luck!

I've been saying this all along that psych is getting more competitive this year, but no one is believing me.

I heard that at university of Maryland, a whopping 10 out of 120 MD are going for psych.

At the med school here at my program in NYC, med students interested in psych went from 4 to 9 this year.

But there is still 6 weeks for cancellations, so I'm hoping you guys get another 3 ivs at least.

Good luck!
Same on the SoCal trail... 2-3x the psych applicants from UCLA, UCI med as last year...

Same on the SoCal trail... 2-3x the psych applicants from UCLA, UCI med as last year...
Yep I believe ya.

I really do believe that by 2020 psych will be a top 5 speciality... But I digress

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Good luck!
FYI, for UMD, # of ppl going into psych varied from 8-10s annually, so it's not technically an increase.

FYI, for UMD, # of ppl going into psych varied from 8-10s annually, so it's not technically an increase.

Thanks, did not know this. My friend made it sound like it was a big increase. Thats pretty damn high percentage wise! As an aside, she also said 30 are applying to ER, unreal.

Yeah our Ed program has really good mentors so now i think it's 2nd most popular after medicine. Class is out of 160

Our school (US allopathic) - 16 people going into psychiatry (10% of class), up from 10 last year. Ridiculous.

Any progress for you guys? I'm an IMG who will be applying Psych for Match 2017. Just wondering now that it's January if it's true that more interviews come in around Dec/Jan time.

Any progress for you guys? I'm an IMG who will be applying Psych for Match 2017. Just wondering now that it's January if it's true that more interviews come in around Dec/Jan time.

False, unless you are an above average applicant. If your scores are below average then you most likely will not be getting any extra interview in December/January.