Psychiatry or Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep. It is very situation and patient specific. That is why it is typically a mistake to generalize something like number of sessions whether it was the old analytical model of 100's of sessions or the brief CBT model of 8 sessions. I just had two sessions of CBT with someone with some OCD symptoms. They were mainly doing what they would need to do to deal with the symptoms already so I validated that, gave a few more pointers and they were good to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I know this has probably been asked before, but I haven't found a thread with my specific questions. I am very passionate about helping people that have mental illnesses and I want to help them. I was pursuing psychiatric PA, but I've found that I like my psychology classes better than I do my chemistry or physics. Can anyone give me some advice about how to come to a conclusion about what to pursue?
Thanks!
Psychiatry is a good field if you don't like talking much but want to help people. Psychology requires lots of talking with patients, you have to communicate a lot as a psychologist and do lots of research. This is actually fun if you love talking to people and don't get tired of people easily. I myself wanted to be a psychologist before but changed to psychiatry because I like prescribing medication.

It's important to note that the above post is not a good representation of either field.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)