Psychiatry Research Track Residencies - program structure and how to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to muddle my way through the differences between the various research track offerings and wanted to crowd source some of this information. From program websites, I've noted that programs generally fall into different categories. Anyone interested in expanding this list or clarifying programs in groups 3 and 5?

1. Offer a 5 year research track through ERAS
-University of Illinois at Chicago, University of California Los Angeles

2. Offer a 4 year research track through ERAS
-University of Pittsburgh, University of California San Diego, Mount Sinai

3. Offer a 4 year research track, application timing unclear
-Yale, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas Southwestern, University of Washington, Cornell, Washington University, New York University

4. Offer a 4 year research track that is applied to after match
Emory - as PGY2
University of San Francisco - as PGY1
Baylor - as PGY?
Brown - as PGY1
Medical University of South Carolina - as PGY2

5. No research tracks clearly specified, but likely
-John Hopkins, Duke

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU just started a research track this year. You have to apply once already a resident to be admitted as of now, and it's limited to one person per class (which likely lines up with interest anyway). It seems like the people working on it are very dedicated, but it's new.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of trying to muddle my way through the differences between the various research track offerings and wanted to crowd source some of this information. From program websites, I've noted that programs generally fall into different categories. Anyone interested in expanding this list or clarifying programs in groups 3 and 5?

-Yale, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas Southwestern, University of Washington, Cornell, Washington University, New York University

Emory - as PGY2
Baylor - as PGY?
Brown - as PGY1

-John Hopkins, Duke
Washington University's research track is on the regular NRMP/ERAS time-line.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Emory - as PGY2
Baylor - as PGY?
Brown - as PGY1

-John Hopkins, Duke

At Yale the application timeline is no different, but you should communicate your interest at the time of application.

This is a really excellent research track, btw. There is a significant amount of dedicated research time available, and lots of internal funding opportunities available. Supervisors are top-notch and available in a very broad range of areas.

Just FYI, at least when I interviewed there, Mount Sinai's 4 year research track is mostly for MDPhDs, though they will occasionally interview an MD. Dr. Rieder (the PD) recently created an integrated psychiatry residency+PhD research track to which one can apply on ERAS or join after beginning residency. Another program with an upward academic trajectory that impressed me very much on the interview trail is Vanderbilt. The Chair (and training director) Dr. Stephan Heckers is a noted schizophrenia research and is pushing for young academicians, particularly in the basic sciences.

Washington University's research track is on the regular NRMP/ERAS time-line.
+1. All a "research track" does is restrict things for you. If you go to a program that gives you a lot of dedicated research opportunities and lets you choose whether to spend a year doing research or to spend part of that year doing research and doing a couple of elective months in something else. That works better at a program that's known for research.

Beware of anything that calls itself a "track." Look at resident publications and how many residents go onto full time research careers. That matters way more.

For example, from what I understand, Baylor's "track" is only a track in name. You won't get something on your diploma. Any research you do will come from your elective time, and the needs of the program may come first. Their residents really churn through a lot of mandatory clinical rotations, so those elective months are pretty precious. I think they have good research going on at the place, and some excellent mentors, especially at the VA, and even some funding opportunities, but this is not a program you would go to to launch a research career, certainly not basic science, if you happen to be interested in that.

Before you get drawn to any program based on its research opportunities, ask yourself if you are planning a career in research or just want to dabble in it. If you are really into research I would say go someplace that can give you a list of resident publications in the last 5 years, and make sure the publications are solid ones, preferably in the area you want to do research in. Get a list of people who have gone onto research fellowships in the last 2 years, and call them. Find out if they felt supported. If there are none, then it's not a "research program." Look to see if they recruit MD/PhDs. Make sure the PD has a research background to at least some degree, and talk to the PD and find out if they really know what research their residents are doing and what research their graduates have gone on to do. Honestly those things matters way more than whatever label or application process programs use. Every single program is probably going to "brag" about its research "program." You gotta dig deeper.

If you are only somewhat interested in research, then you probably don't need a track at all and anyplace that offers some research opportunities will be fine!

Reactions: 4 users
Totally agree with @hamburger helper. Although the publication list may not be totally helpful. Especially for folks in the basic and translational sciences, you probably spend what little protected time you have during PGY2 just trying to find a lab, and PGY3 trying to set up a project. You might not even have data to write up by the end of PGY4. (The publication list might give you a sense for what percent of residents they try to steer towards basic science vs translational vs clinical/epi.)

But definitely try to get a sense for how much mentorship the program offers and whether they offer any research funds. The mentorship will be critical in setting you up for a good postdoctoral fellowship and, eventually, a K award. And the research funds will help make it easier for faculty to take you on (with a shot at actually working on your own research rather than just being a cog in their machine).

In addition to the programs already mentioned, UCSF also has a research track that protects up to 80 percent of your PGY4. Recently they published an evaluation of their track record in Academic Medicine:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23702520