About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychiatry Shelf

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Ralph Szyslak, Dec 11, 2006.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Ralph Szyslak

Ralph Szyslak New Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi, would someone recommend which books are good for the psychiatry rotation and shelf?? Any input will be appreciated :)
  2. nat17

nat17

hello

I highly recommend this book I used, it was called the Psychiatry Clerkship Guide. I don't remember the author =( but it was really an easy read and was great for the shelf. I also used Pretest psychiatry, was excellent. blueprints i had but wasnt very good for psych, was really really concise however did have some review questions at the end. good luck! the psych shelf is not easy, which is contrary to what u might think. it's good to know medical differential diagnoses of psych illnesses.
  3. purplefish

purplefish Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I ended up using Appleton and Lange, First aid as well as Casefiles (50%). First aid was a great book to skim through 1x. I wish i had read more of the casefile book. Good luck
  4. mdphd2b

mdphd2b Hepato-phile

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Just took Psych shelf yesterday. Not sure about my score yet, but here's the scoop...

The books I used were Case Files (LOVE this series), FA for Psych clerkship (can easily read this twice), and for practice MCQ's I use Kaplan's QBank/Qbook (but I hear Pre-test can work just as well).

Compared to my Neuro shelf on Thurs, the Psych shelf on Fri was much less intimidating! I finished it ~25 min early, so I had plenty of time to go back and review the exam. Also, as others have mentioned, my shelf had a good proportion of child psych-related ques. This was OK for me since I'm going into Peds, but others may need to read up on this more if they're only seeing adult Psych pts.

Good luck :luck:
  5. nutcancer

nutcancer

SDN 2+ Year Member
    underground clinical vignettes. use it night before test for an excellent, high-yield last minute review. i'd recommend studying a proper text to ace the shelf. they can ask about anything on these and its ideal to be well prepared. if i cared enough, i would have read psychiatry for medical students or kaplan and saddock's psychiatry book for medical students.
  6. thackl

thackl 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Took mine last week. Did CaseFiles 2x and 50% of Lange. Looking back, I wish I had done it the other way around. I've seen lange recommended on here b/f and it seemed to be the better source. CaseFiles is a good initial read to get you oriented, but to simple for the shelf. BTW, my test had a bunch of Pharm on it!