Psychiatry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found it interesting that one psychologist basically said that if you go into a psychologist's office with nothing more than stress from life, you're going to get a diagnosis of adjustment disorder. So basically, you're going to be diagnosed with some disorder no matter how normal you are.

Members don't see this ad.

The issue here seems to be not with my opinion (then again the med student who had gone through rotations and and seemed to hold a similar view was flamed out of here)...more "well, you're an MS1, you haven't even gone through rotations, so how can you make such a sweeping statement...how can you just get an impression from your syllabus and apply it to real medicine?" Fair enough. Obviously, as an MS1, I'm ignorant of a lot of things, but that's my opinion, you can call it an "oversimplification" (which I know is "felt" by more than a few med students, physicians, and "experts"). And it's subject to change at this early stage of the game.

"....critiquing the opinion of experts who have been practicing that field for years if not decades."....don't see anything wrong with that. Not touching your condescending novel on the workings of medicine.

When you decide on a field and begin to train in it for real the education aspect involves familiarizing yourself with the published material that underlies the guidelines that pertain to it. If not before as your work ethic, interest, and time permits.

The goal is not to have to rely on your feelings on the feelings and thoughts others have had or maintain unquestioningly. If this standard for valuable discourse is to rigorous for you....and you cannot get yourself to even recognize when the standard is being gleefully ignored...then you chose the wrong career.

The issue here seems to be not with my opinion (then again the med student who had gone through rotations and and seemed to hold a similar view was flamed out of here)...more "well, you're an MS1, you haven't even gone through rotations, so how can you make such a sweeping statement...how can you just get an impression from your syllabus and apply it to real medicine?" Fair enough. Obviously, as an MS1, I'm ignorant of a lot of things, but that's my opinion, you can call it an "oversimplification" (which I know is "felt" by more than a few med students, physicians, and "experts"). And it's subject to change at this early stage of the game.

"....critiquing the opinion of experts who have been practicing that field for years if not decades."....don't see anything wrong with that. Not touching your condescending novel on the workings of medicine.

I made this point elsewhere, but the reason it's a legitimate argument is because medicine is experiential. You don't become a good physician by reading Robbins 40 times. You become a good physician by reading Robbins 10 times and seeing what Robbins talks about 100 times. This is the inherent problem with your argument and why no one with any more experience than you and a brain takes you seriously. It's not because you're stupid, it's just that you don't even have a frame of reference with which to make a cogent argument.

Don't worry, it'll come soon enough. But suppress your arrogance and consider that you perhaps have no idea what you're talking about.

The problem by claiming good company with "more than a few med students, physicians, and 'experts'" with psych specifically is that 1) the field has advanced tremendously in the last couple of decades (meaning many physicians who trained a while ago and since have done nothing in psych know very little about the field) and 2) the exact same biases you see in this thread exist among many, many physicians. Just yesterday, in fact, my team was rounding and the attending decided to **** on psych because he didn't like the recommendations made by the consulting physician. The fellow on the team leaned over, whispered that I was going into psych, and the look of foolhardiness on the attending's face was just fantastic.

Again, the issue is not that psych is a perfect field not worthy of critique. The issue is that all fields of medicine are equally open to these critiques, yet psych for some reason seems to be the epiphany of the misdeeds of medicine because it's "not real medicine," "doesn't treat real problems," and "isn't based on science." Those aren't things you've said directly, of course, but pretty much every knee-jerk critique of psych falls into one of those three categories - yours included.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I made this point elsewhere, but the reason it's a legitimate argument is because medicine is experiential. You don't become a good physician by reading Robbins 40 times. You become a good physician by reading Robbins 10 times and seeing what Robbins talks about 100 times. This is the inherent problem with your argument and why no one with any more experience than you and a brain takes you seriously. It's not because you're stupid, it's just that you don't even have a frame of reference with which to make a cogent argument.

Don't worry, it'll come soon enough. But suppress your arrogance and consider that you perhaps have no idea what you're talking about.

The problem by claiming good company with "more than a few med students, physicians, and 'experts'" with psych specifically is that 1) the field has advanced tremendously in the last couple of decades (meaning many physicians who trained a while ago and since have done nothing in psych know very little about the field) and 2) the exact same biases you see in this thread exist among many, many physicians. Just yesterday, in fact, my team was rounding and the attending decided to **** on psych because he didn't like the recommendations made by the consulting physician. The fellow on the team leaned over, whispered that I was going into psych, and the look of foolhardiness on the attending's face was just fantastic.

Again, the issue is not that psych is a perfect field not worthy of critique. The issue is that all fields of medicine are equally open to these critiques, yet psych for some reason seems to be the epiphany of the misdeeds of medicine because it's "not real medicine," "doesn't treat real problems," and "isn't based on science." Those aren't things you've said directly, of course, but pretty much every knee-jerk critique of psych falls into one of those three categories - yours included.

Don't lie bro you know you're never gonna read Robbins 10 times.

Robbins...not even once.

Just do well in the class, enjoy the rotation, and down the road you'll "appreciate" psychiatry as the tool (as in instrument) it is. I'm surprised Szasz "Myth of Mental Illness," was mentioned, an okay read, along with RD Laing, and other of that era-worth the time to read Laing's work was edgy, almost laced with hallucinogens. Also, before he went heavy as a holistic vitamin sales "guru," Andrew Weil's book: "The Natural Mind," was pretty good. After forty years Robbins is still a decent reference. You've got the world's libraries, Up-to-Date, and dozens of databases on your smartphone, but you only go to med school once. Get as much out of it as you can—Be greedy with how much you can learn even if it seems silly, worthless, and biased. Oh yeah, you've got to score well on the boards, so what do you have to lose? Psychiatry-psychopharmacology, as a specialty, my peers who've done (actively practice) say it remains fascinating, and they plan on doing till they die.

Reactions: 1 user
I read it like... 0.3 times.
It was... ok. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a text, Robbins Pathology (the bigger text) is quite a bad book. It's nearly all anatomic pathology. Helpful if you're working with dead patients, not as helpful with living patients.

I found it interesting that one psychologist basically said that if you go into a psychologist's office with nothing more than stress from life, you're going to get a diagnosis of adjustment disorder. So basically, you're going to be diagnosed with some disorder no matter how normal you are.
Here's a good idea, talk with a PSYCHIATRIST not a clinical psychologist.