MSW "Psychologizing" of social work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthinfo104

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody feel that social work has become too clinical/ psychologized over the years?

I feel like now getting a masters in social work more often than not is too focused on training in psychotherapy and behavioral health than anything and its trying to much to become like a clinical psychology field.

As a result I feel like like this has taken away from the primary frameworks of the profession of social work which was based on community engagement, advocacy, case management and things of that nature.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't agree. In fact, some outsiders view the profession as completely lacking in true evidenced based practice for therapy. They feel like training for the eventual LCSW isn't focused on psychotherapy and behavioral health enough. If I recall correctly, there are still more administrative, or policy focused programs, than there are clinical. Or rather, I don't know of any university that only has a clinical psychotherapy based program, and not an administrative program as well. Yet, you do see the reverse.

There is always the debate within our field that we are losing who we are as a profession if we focus too much on the clinical. However, if you take a step back and view our field with other's eyes, I don't think we are in danger of losing our identity any time soon. I personally think social work is firmly entrenched in the medical field for multiple reasons, and part of it being specifically how we are trained to provide support and our generalist training. I.e. discharge planners need training on emotional support, but not necessarily in how to perform psychotherapy. Now should they still use evidenced based practices? Heck ya. I think some confuse psychotherapy for evidenced based practices.

In my opinion, most social work programs have started embedding the importance of evidence based practice throughout our field, and I feel like that's the most important thing for us as social workers. Whatever role we play.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't agree. In fact, some outsiders view the profession as completely lacking in true evidenced based practice for therapy. They feel like training for the eventual LCSW isn't focused on psychotherapy and behavioral health enough. If I recall correctly, there are still more administrative, or policy focused programs, than there are clinical. Or rather, I don't know of any university that only has a clinical psychotherapy based program, and not an administrative program as well. Yet, you do see the reverse.

There is always the debate within our field that we are losing who we are as a profession if we focus too much on the clinical. However, if you take a step back and view our field with other's eyes, I don't think we are in danger of losing our identity any time soon. I personally think social work is firmly entrenched in the medical field for multiple reasons, and part of it being specifically how we are trained to provide support and our generalist training. I.e. discharge planners need training on emotional support, but not necessarily in how to perform psychotherapy. Now should they still use evidenced based practices? Heck ya. I think some confuse psychotherapy for evidenced based practices.

In my opinion, most social work programs have started embedding the importance of evidence based practice throughout our field, and I feel like that's the most important thing for us as social workers. Whatever role we play.

Not that social workers can't be clinical but I feel like placing such emphasis on psychotherapy or even the integration of psychotherapy into social work takes away from. Social works original focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that social workers can't be clinical but I feel like placing such emphasis on psychotherapy or even the integration of psychotherapy into social work takes away from. Social works original focus.

How does it take away from this? If you look at the populations with which social workers traditionally work, you'll see one major theme across the board which, if properly addressed, will do more for said populations than any temporary shelter or government assistance. It's not difficult to understand why the field is evolving as is.

Reactions: 1 users
I think psychology has enriched the field of Social Work. I think some may wish psychology can stay in its independent domain but the truth of the matter is as long as you are working with individuals, groups, society, you will need a frame-work to draw from and psychology has been a helpful and enriching framework to utilize.

However, I always believe that Social Work is a jack of all trades profession in which it "borrows" from fields of psychology, sociology, anthropology, biology, but its what give the Social Work profession strength to work from a holistic psychosocial perspective. I always encourage to look at it from a strength perspective rather than a deficit to have holistic view.

An concrete example would be "simple" case management which is not very simple at all. You are a social worker doing casework. You assess an individual with multiple stressors that needs to be addressed

You would probably: Do a comprehensive assessment -assess for strengths (Psychology, Sociology, Biology), explore motivations (Psychology, Sociology, Biology), link appropriate resources (Sociology) that is consistent with the person's motivations and desire for change (Psychology)

-> follow-up to address barriers based on the client's view, provided and strengthen coping (psychology)

That was just quick example of how something may play out that use examples from all "schools" of academia. Reality is Social Work training provide the tools and knowledge. Is up to the practitioner how to use the tools to be effective, as you may imagine some are better than others at it.

-Eco

Reactions: 1 user