MA/MS psychology- biology areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tima7054938

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I just found this site. I hope you can help me.
I'm a master student in general psychology. I've just started my master. My problem is that now I'm supposed to know what specific area I want to work in but I don't have a clue. The thing is that my BS is in biology(cellular molecular biology) and I'm looking for an area in psychology through which I can make the most of my biology background. So I'm thinking about cognitive sciences, health psychology, or even nuoropsychology. I'm not too keen on pure research. I mean I prefere applied sciences. In other words, I prefer to work in an area which gives me more job opportunities in the future. So I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on spesific areas in psycology which is related to cellular biology as well and has a promising future?
Tnx a million

Members don't see this ad.

Hi again
I just found a major called " behavioral genetics" which seems to be what I want: A combination between cell biology and psychology. Any advice?

Well, since you're already in a master's program, this may be a moot point but you could look into genetic counseling. It is its own master's degree but one in which you become licensed to counsel people on their increase risk (or familial risk) for a variety of genetic disorders, commonly prenatal disorders or those involved w/ cancer.

Look into health psychology too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, since you're already in a master's program, this may be a moot point but you could look into genetic counseling. It is its own master's degree but one in which you become licensed to counsel people on their increase risk (or familial risk) for a variety of genetic disorders, commonly prenatal disorders or those involved w/ cancer.

Thank u dear, ya genetic counceling could've been a good choice if I hadn't already chosen general psychology. Plus, in my country, biologists do the genetic counseling not psychologists.
Yesterday I searched a lot and I kind of decided to give myself a try in child psychology. But, I'm still not sure what area would be the best for me. I wanna have the chance to work after master. So I'm looking for more practical areas.

Thank you'

You're welcome. Genetic counselors are not psychologists, nor biologists. They are genetic counselors, which is a mutually exclusive degree and license.

You mentioned "your country." What country is that? I ask because in the U.S. a masters's in general psychology is limiting in your future career possibilities and is not considered a terminal degree (sorry to say). I earned a masters in general psych prior to entering my doctoral program (where you pick up an additional masters), so I know firsthand about its limitations. However, I worked solidly for many years as a researcher with my non-terminal masters. In fact, I worked closely with a team of clinical psychologists and genetic counselors on cancer research. So I could also suggest looking into jobs on research teams despite you saying you don't want to go into research.

Not to be a damp rag, but there is not much out there in the U.S. job market for non-terminal general psych master's degree holders who want applied sciences that are not yet clinicians, specifically in child psychology. I have seen positions called patient advocates (sometimes given different names in different academic medical centers), where the personnel work closely with a multidisciplinary team for follow-up care, but these positions are unique and hard to find...as those spots are usually filled by social workers. If you think about it, children coming in for psychological assistance will need a highly skilled professional because of how vulnerable and impressionable they are...so you'll have to seek a more specialized degree if you want to work with children (unless you want to be an early learning care/daycare provider, which is a very important job too). Most of my kids' daycare providers had either masters or (at the very least) bachelors degrees....but, that is messy, challenging work with preschool aged kids. You could also become a teacher, but again...more schooling would be required with specialized degrees and licenses.

Just some thoughts...your best bet (IMO) is look for research jobs or positions that would normally be filled by social workers but again it may be competitive for you b/c employers will want you have some clinical experience applied to the position before coming in, and most general psych master's programs do not have clinical training placements. I agree with your current program: it is now the time to consider what and how you'd like to specialize in before you get too deep into your degree. My fellow general psych master's program classmates and I would gripe about how our degree was a 'resume building degree,' and to end on a positive note...it was, but it got me where I wanted to go (i.e., my doctoral program).

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Hi again
Thanks a million for your kind advice. I'd been thinking about what you've said and all I searched the whole week. I hope to find my way as soon as possible.
I was wondering if I could ask u another question. I'm searching for a good paper subject for my developmental class. I'm looking for sth new based on attachment theory of Dolby. Sth by which I can prepare an ISI article. It's got 30 out of 100 of our mark for this class. Plus I wanna do Sth worthwhile not just have a paper. Have u worked in this area? Any ideas? Tnx in advance.
By the way, I'm from Iran. I study in Shahid beheshti university. Thank u again for your kind help. I really appreciate it.