Psychology-Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurricaneg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering if it's required to take psychology as a pre-med. I know it's tested on the MCAT, and most medical schools say we need to have two semesters of behavioral sciences so (Sociology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology) courses were said to be fine.

Did any of you guys not take psychology and run into any trouble when applying?

I'm asking because the intro to psych class at my school is really hard.

Thank You in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked psych and it will help you on the MCAT. Just saying. In the end I think every school has different requirements, so look at some schools and see what their requirements are.

Hi guys I was wondering if it's required to take psychology as a pre-med. I know it's tested on the MCAT, and most medical schools say we need to have two semesters of behavioral sciences so (Sociology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology) courses were said to be fine.

Thank You in Advance!
...don't be a coward. jk

You should just buy MSAR and check the course requirements of the schools you're interested in. I'd really recommend taking it though, for what it's worth.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank You in Advance!

I only used MCAT prep books for Psych and I was able to swing a 130 (97th %ile). I was glad I took this route and didn't mix sources of info.

If I had to do it again and take Psych (which I'm sure would be an interesting course), I'd take it after being done with the exam. I applied to a few schools with strict Behavioral Science requirements. I used Sociology courses for those, and it worked out fine.

Many schools don't require psych as of yet.

More schools require it each year. Why limit where you can apply or scramble to take it once accepted when it can help make studying for MCAT easier. It is always easier to review content than learn it from scratch.

You can rock intro to psych! Take time to feel comfortable, and take the class when you are ready to step up and teach it a lesson!

Reactions: 1 user
You can rock intro to psych! Take time to feel comfortable, and take the class when you are ready to step up and teach it a lesson!

Yeah intro to psych was pretty easy. I would recommend it for the grade boost and it will come in handy for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user