Psychology/Sociology at CC: Does it look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GabeMann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,
I have an incredibly full semester coming up in the fall (of my junior year) and I really want to take a psych or soc class before I take the MCAT in the spring/summer (a year from now). Two questions: will it look bad to med schools if I take one of them at a community college this summer? Also, which one will help me most on the MCAT if I could possibly only take one beforehand? Any additional comments or recommendations are more than welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a single class at a CC for time constraint/availability reasons is fairly common and not particularly looked down upon I believe. Adcoms would start questioning your integrity if you took numerous prereqs at a CC (while at a 4 year university), but this case is fine imo.

(It isn't easy to say which one would benefit you the most, considering that neither subjects have ever been tested on the MCAT before... go with your heart!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking a single class at a CC for time constraint/availability reasons is fairly common and not particularly looked down upon I believe. Adcoms would start questioning your integrity if you took numerous prereqs at a CC (while at a 4 year university), but this case is fine imo.

(It isn't easy to say which one would benefit you the most, considering that neither subjects have ever been tested on the MCAT before... go with your heart!)
bump, double bump amd +1000

So,
I have an incredibly full semester coming up in the fall (of my junior year) and I really want to take a psych or soc class before I take the MCAT in the spring/summer (a year from now). Two questions: will it look bad to med schools if I take one of them at a community college this summer? Also, which one will help me most on the MCAT if I could possibly only take one beforehand? Any additional comments or recommendations are more than welcome!

Just avoid schools that don't accept CC credits (you can find them on the MSAR).

Just avoid schools that don't accept CC credits (you can find them on the MSAR).

We should stop referring people to the MSAR, IMO; this information should be free.