Psychology Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey psy geeks... Just wondering y'all's take on the magazine psychology today. I know it's not like, a peer reviewed journal or anything, but is it credible at all? I'm looking for sort of credible sort of "pop psychology" publication.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think "credible" and "pop psychology" are essentially at odds.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a much better source of current psych info that is more accessible to the lay person because it is not the direct scientific source would be the APA Monitor.

Specific articles from Psychology Today can certainly be credible, but it is definitely not the sort of thing where you should automatically trust what you read (not that I'd recommend that for peer-reviewed sources either).

Agree with others that the Monitor, APS Observer, or Scientific American are likely better options.

Reactions: 1 users
I've only scanned through an issue or two, and unfortunately, wasn't a big fan. I wonder if maybe Scientific American might not be a better choice; they'll occasionally have psych and neuroscience-type stuff.

Mte. Scientific American Mind is pretty good.

Like others, I've found Psychology Today to be very underwhelming to say the least. I'd recommend the APA monitor and any of the lay newsletter put out by relevant divisions or workgroups, if they are publicly available.

It makes for decent reading on trains, planes, and automobiles. But, so is anything else on the news stand though. I have to agree that Scientific American Mind is a much better publication. Though, V.S. Ramachandran has a column on one of those magazines and that guy is awesome. I recommend his books.

I subscribe to both Scientific American and Scientific American Mind. Mind is nice because it's basically a whole magazine dedicated to psych-related fields, but even it feels a bit "pop-science" and sometimes "self-helpy" for me. For example, if they are talking about relationship research, they'll put a couple on the cover with a sentence like "How can you get and keep a great relationship?" and then intersperse their interpretation of the literature with "romantic tips". That being said, their discussion and interpretation of the research is usually on point. I've been debating whether or not I want to renew it, but it's quite cheap. Scientific American is much better scientifically, but they don't cover as many psych-related articles, and when they do, it tends to be a brain/neuro focus.