Psychology vs. Human Services major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmdt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This spring I got into a pretty selective 'human services' (social work) program but I'm now thinking about switching to psychology since I have a lot of the required courses done and it will let me focus on my pre-med stuff. I'd really appreciate any input you guys might have to offer... :D

Human Services

Pros: Interesting program, small classes, cool internships, would look interesting/unique on application(?)
Cons: Financial and time cost of staying in college another couple quarters, internships would be time-consuming and difficult to make relevant to medicine, run the risk of overextending myself

Psychology

Pros: Finish sooner, have more time to focus on getting A's in BCPM courses, pretty cool classes, research opportunities, BCPM classes fulfill requirements
Cons: Pretty run-of-the-mill major, mostly big lecture classes, not very much direct interaction w/ public

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't everyone rush in at once :rolleyes:

if u have time and think u can do well in the required courses needed for admission to med school, then do a human services major as it is more differenet and interesting than a psychology major.. a lot of premeds are psychology majors but few premeds are human services major.. it adds diversity to your med school application

Thanks. Anyone else..?