About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Psychology vs. Human Services major?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by mdmdt, Aug 13, 2008.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. mdmdt

mdmdt

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This spring I got into a pretty selective 'human services' (social work) program but I'm now thinking about switching to psychology since I have a lot of the required courses done and it will let me focus on my pre-med stuff. I'd really appreciate any input you guys might have to offer... :D

Human Services

Pros: Interesting program, small classes, cool internships, would look interesting/unique on application(?)
    Cons: Financial and time cost of staying in college another couple quarters, internships would be time-consuming and difficult to make relevant to medicine, run the risk of overextending myself

Psychology

Pros: Finish sooner, have more time to focus on getting A's in BCPM courses, pretty cool classes, research opportunities, BCPM classes fulfill requirements
    Cons: Pretty run-of-the-mill major, mostly big lecture classes, not very much direct interaction w/ public

Thoughts?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. mdmdt

mdmdt

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't everyone rush in at once :rolleyes:
  3. yowhatup

yowhatup

if u have time and think u can do well in the required courses needed for admission to med school, then do a human services major as it is more differenet and interesting than a psychology major.. a lot of premeds are psychology majors but few premeds are human services major.. it adds diversity to your med school application
  4. mdmdt

mdmdt

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks. Anyone else..?