Psychopharmacology/Advanced Practice Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
35/64 parishes in LA are considered non-metro (rural) with limited access to traditional prescribing clinicians. Many of these residents are impoverished and unable to travel long distances to obtain psychiatric services. Allowing MPs the opportunity to manage psychotropic medications would increase access for these residents-in-need to receive these sort of services. Even some non-rural areas have benefited by having additional options for providers to choose from. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa, hold on. Have you been reading this?
First the DoD project is in no way relevant. I've already explained how much more training they had and the ideal conditions in which they practiced. Also the ACNP report said that "virtually all" the DoD psychologists said that the kinds of proposals we are now debating (at least I am, but maybe you want to just call names) was "ill-advised".
"
As I said earlier, I am all for the more stringent training that the DoD RxP's received. I am debating the concept, not the Illinois bill.

Reactions: 1 user
he's just going to focus on the upcoming bill and post as much as possible to increase analytics.

just like he will use logical fallacies and ignore comments on them, while calling anyone else out who uses vague ones. Appeal to authority? No problem! Someone questions me? AD HOMINEM!

Members don't see this ad :)
35/64 parishes in LA are considered non-metro (rural) with limited access to traditional prescribing clinicians. Many of these residents are impoverished and unable to travel long distances to obtain psychiatric services. Allowing MPs the opportunity to manage psychotropic medications would increase access for these residents-in-need to receive these sort of services. Even some non-rural areas have benefited by having additional options for providers to choose from. Just my two cents.

A review of the locations of prescribing psychologists in NM and LA found that 85.9 percent were in non-rural areas. In New Mexico, 66 percent of the prescribing psychologists were not in rural areas.
In Illinois, now a battleground state, a 2007 survey found that there are virtually no psychologists in rural areas.
The claim that RxP will help the underserved in rural areas is not supported.
And once again, there is no evidence to show access to medication has been enhanced by this program.

As I said earlier, I am all for the more stringent training that the DoD RxP's received. I am debating the concept, not the Illinois bill.

There are several possible debates. There is an important one about whether psychologists should incorporate the practice of medicine within the profession.

However, the current debate forced by the campaign to implement legislation is focused on specifics of proposals.
The DoD project offers some evidence that highly selected psychologists given intensive training - far more than what is now proposed - can prescribe at the level of a second-year medical student (that's what the ACNP said) when working in ideal conditions. However, that evidence is of little value in the debate triggered by pending legislation.

I appreciate your more cogent tone. And I do have reports to write. Debating RxP is a pleasure but I can't indulge it too much. Feel free to PM

This is a point-counter point from Tonya Tompkins, PhD, an unlicensed psychologist who teaches at a small university in Oregon an board-certified neuropsychologist in Louisiana:

Dr Tompkins:

As a psychologist who strongly believes that we should ascribe to an evidence-based practice model of providing patient care I appreciate the editorial board’s stance which opposes allowing psychologists to prescribe. Despite what some proponents argue here and elsewhere, the data neither support claims of improved rural access nor improved outcomes for patients. In my own research and others’ study of the issue (e.g., Baird, 2007) the argument of reaching those without care is seriously called into question - almost no psychologists were practicing in true rural areas and non-metro psychologists were no more likely than their urban counterparts to pursue training to become a prescriber. Similarly, the claim has been made that 200,000 psychotropic medication orders had been safely and effectively written by Glen Ally’s Louisi...ana colleagues alone in the first four years of legislation (DeLeon, 2012, p.6).However, these claims appear to be divorced from reality and are not grounded in actual data. As of 2013, there were only 71 medical psychologists in Louisiana. In the four years between the passage of the bill and Ally’s estimation, there were substantially fewer prescribing psychologists. In fact, in the only published attempt to evaluate prescribers, Levine and colleagues (2011) identified only 25 (14 in Louisiana, 9 in NM) of the 59 psychologists with prescription privileges who were practicing part-time or full-time. Of the 17 interviewed, just over half reported that they saw 30 or more patients a week and approximately 70 to 80% of patients were prescribed medications by these prescribing psychologists. Thus, it appears as if this often quoted statistic is either a blatant overestimate or perhaps those who did not take part in the survey are overprescribing – a concern they often raise about Primary Care Physicians. Patients deserve better. If psychologists want to prescribe there are established routes available to them that build on a solid foundation and grounding in the physical sciences.

The medical neuropsychologist in LA:

I typically do not respond to folks such as this or those in the POPPP crowd, because they simply make assertions that have no basis in reality. For example, the assertion that psychologists will not be "safe" prescribers. After more than 20 years experience in the military and now 10 years experience in two states with not one malpractice complaint for prescribing, I think that, on its face, is evidence that psychologist ARE safe prescribers.

Despite the fact that, in my view, the evidence speaks for itself, it is someone like Dr. Tompkins, who purports to have a "minor in measurement and psychometrics" and who below stated that her "own research" and "others' study of the issue" make me call into question the quality of such "research." Dr. Tompkins evidently did not even bother to check public records to get accurate information. If her basic numbers are inaccurate what credence should I give her other information and, more importantly conclusions based upon such shoddy work.

Had Dr. Tompkins even bothered to verify her numbers with publicly available data on the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiner's website, she would have discovered that in the year 2013, there were NOT 71 medical psychologists licensed in Louisiana, there were actually 82. Medical psychologists were licensed under the medical board since 2009 at which time there were 55. So, we have grown over the years. Of course, of the 82, a few indeed are nor prescribing. There are some who are administrators in various positions, etc. For example, one medical psychologist was the Chief Psychologist with the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, until his retirement for State employment. He is now in private practice AND prescribing. But, Dr. Tompkins should have gathered accurate numbers for her "research."

Dr. Tompkins cites the numbers quoted by Dr. Levine and her colleagues and notes that there were only 25 medical psychologists in Louisiana and 9 in NM of the "59 psychologists with prescriptive authority..." Again, had Dr. Tompkins even bothered to do a simple check on the medical board website, she might have gotten this number a little more accurate as well. In 2011, there were 72 medical psychologists licensed in Louisiana. Medical psychologists in Louisiana, as you might imagine, have had requests from across the country on almost a daily basis for "data." There have been numerous requests to MPs to participate in numbers research studies, etc. Have you ever wondered why there is precious little research out there on the prescribing habits of say nurse practitioners, or physicians's assistants, or physicians themselves? What little research there is is done either on resident physicians or retrospectively by chart reviews. Problem is, no one keeps track of this info nor has time to keep track of such info. However, as psychologists we are always fascinated with "the data" perhaps this colleague should be more fascinated with ACCURATE data.

With respect to the work of Dr. Levine and colleagues, Dr. Levine actually had to struggle to get the 14 respondents from Louisiana that she did get. There are several reasons for this. But primarily, does one actually think that after the first month or so that anyone with prescriptive authority actually keeps track of the number of prescriptions written? I guess one could do that a little more easily by simple counting the number of prescriptions in a prescription pad and the number of pads ordered and then count how many are left...easy, right? But for many of us, we are simply not exclusively in private practice. I will use myself as example...I have a private office where I see patients two days a week. I provide contract services at the Community Mental Health Center two days a week, and I provide contract services to a large Cancer Center one day a week. In addition to that, I see consults hospital-wide for a 340 bed general hospital. These consults I see generally after normal business hours. In each of those four settings, prescription pads are provided by the facilities. So, I can't just count prescriptions. Several of my colleagues do similar kinds of things. That is, several colleagues work more than one location. MPs are actually quite a bit in demand. I've said before, MPs may not get a great deal more reimbursement that licensed psychologists, but they have greater opportunities then licensed psychologists. There is great demand for MPs to do a variety of contract type work.

Parenthetically, Dr. Tompkins seems to have made another erroneous assumption. That is, just because medical psychologists may not have offices in all rural areas, her assumption seems to be that we have not increased access or provided services to rural areas. Dr. Tompkins' lack of knowledge of the mental health system seems to rival her lack of thorough research skills. As noted above, I provide contract services at a REGIONAL Community Mental Health Center. That CMHC serves a seven parish (county) area that includes all rural communities in those seven parishes. Before another MP and myself contract with the CMHC, there were several vacancies for psychiatrists that had remained vacant for 10 or more years. Two of us took contracts there so that essentially increased their providers and prescribers by two and thereby increased access for more of the folks in those parishes. Since we took those contracts some 6 years ago, three more MPs have taken positions at other CMHCs. In the CMHC, I see patients every half hour, 16 patients a day. My colleagues do the same, but they actually provide services 5 days a week.

Finally, let's look at the ESTIMATE I provided of more that 200,000 medication orders by medical psychologists and how once again, Dr. Tompkins just doesn't get it. I say and have said that the number was an estimate and that is what it is...an ESTIMATE. That estimate is a fairly educated estimate, but an estimate, nonetheless. I will speak to only Louisiana as I am not sure how many are currently prescribing in NM. As noted above, as of 2013 there are 82 MPs in LA. There are a few who do not prescribe, but the vast majority do. Approximately half of the MPs (about 40) are Advanced Practice MPs. That means that they had to have prescribed for at least 100 patients (according to the statute that I am sure Dr. Tompkins didn't read) as one criteria to become "advanced practice." That's 100 patients, that means AT LEAST 100 psychotropic medications, but for many patients, there may have been more. For example, some patients may have gotten antidepressant medication and a sleep medication. That would be two medication orders. On many occasions, MPs have provided refills for patients who may have been on three or four psychotropic medications. So basic fact...number of prescriptions does NOT equal the number of medications ordered. So, if we take the number of Advanced Practice MPs and multiply by 100, we know there were at least 4000 prescriptions written just to qualify 40 Advanced Practice MPs. We must also keep in mind, that MPs in Louisiana were prescribing since 2005 and "Advanced Practice MPs" did not come into existence until we moved to the medical board in 2009. Those 4000 prescriptions were in addition to all that was written prior to 2009. So there were four years of prescribing before that move to the medical board and Advanced Practice. MPs who were not and are not "Advanced Practice" were and are still prescribing, they simply must have "concurrence" by a physician for the prescriptions they write, but they still prescribe. As noted above, there were 55 MPs beginning in 2009, so most of those 55 were writing scripts before the switch to the medical board. But, back to the estimate.

As you will recall, I mentioned I work at the CMHC and see 16 patients per day there (2 days a week). That's 32 patients a week with orders for say two medications times 52 weeks works out to be 3328 medicationn orders annually. While I do have some patients on just one medication, I also have many who have orders for four or more meds. But, let's crunch some numbers. I also mentioned that I have three other colleagues who work at CMHCs doing the same thing except FIVE days a week. So, 16 patients with two medication orders times 5 days weekly, times 52 weeks works out to 8320 medication orders, annually. 8320 time three colleagues = 24960 medication orders annually, plus my 3328 medication orders annually = 28,288 medication orders annually. Multiply that times the 5 years we have been at CMHCs = 141,440 medication orders.

That's 141,440 medication orders over the past 5 years for only FOUR MPs working at CMHCs. That is not counting the other 36 Advanced Practice MPs or the other 40 or so MPs. That's also only over the past 5 years. MPs in LA have been prescribing now for 10 years. That is also not counting some of the MPs licensed in LA who work outside of LA. For example, we have a couple of MPs who work in the US Public Health Service. We have at least one LA MP who is working in NM. We have at least one MP who has been in the military and prescribing for the past 10 years. I don't know their numbers. So, if you think that some 40 MPs in LA over the past 10 years have not written approximately 60,000 prescriptions, then indeed Dr Tompkins may be correct and my number of 200,000 could be wrong...its possible. But, if I am a betting man, I would put my money on my estimate...remember I said my Rxs were 2 days a week at the CMHC. I would be willing to bet that in the other three settings in which I work (general hospital averaging about 4-5 consults a week, Cancer Center seeing 10-12 patients daily, and private practice seeing 7-8 patients daily) over a 10 year period I have provided about a third of those 60,000 still to be accounted for. I also know from personal communications that MPs have far exceeded that 60,000. There are other MPs working in general hospitals, Children's Hospital in New Orleans, a large neuromedical center with more than 40 neurologists and neurosurgeons and three MPs, physical medicine and rehabilitation hospitals, and many in private practice who I believe easily make up that 60,000 medication orders over 10 years.

We also tend to think only in terms of putting patients on medications. We often do not think of discontinuing medication as a medication order, but indeed it is. What I have not included in this count however, are those orders to discontinue medications and all the orders for tests and labs by MPs. Most of us order preliminary lab work and periodic monitoring lab work. Once a patient is stable at the CMHC, we order lab work annually on patients. Those orders are not included in my estimate. Trained as a neuropsychologist, I have ordered (thought not very frequently) CT scans, MRIs, ECGs, and EEGs. I have ordered sleep studies. These orders are not included in my estimate either.

So, I am confident in my estimated number, in fact, I believe it to be low and that was done purposely because there will always be people like Dr. Tompkins who will spout off bogus numbers and then reach spurious conclusions using those bogus numbers to justify their inaccurate conclusions.

Now, how do I KNOW some of these numbers...not only are the numbers regarding MPs available on the website of the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, I sit on the Medical Psychology Advisory Committee to the Lousiana State Board of Medical Examiners and have been sitting on this Committee since 2009. So I know the numbers regarding MPs. I also know my own numbers regarding he CMHC and in fact, when I did a workshop at APA in the past, on of the slides included a picture of the scripts I have written at the CMHC. At the CMHC, the scripts have duplicates...the original goes to the patient, a copy goes into the patient's chart (yes, there is still a paper chart), and I get to keep the other copy. I have as stack that is literally a 10 inches tall. I also included a photo of a prescription for a patient that included 5 psychotropic medications with the name redacted and noted that there were more in the stack with 4-5 meds than there were with only one med.

Again, I am confident in my numbers and mine are verifiable. But, keep in mind. This exercise is a waste of time if the objective is to attempt to convince people like Dr. Tompkins and some of the other more vocal opponents. They have never let facts get in the way of erroneous conclusions before and I doubt that pointing out real facts will convince any of them now or get them to cease making unsubstantiated claims.

I hope the above is clear. I apologize for the length.

I am not sure where Dr. Tompkins obtained her numbers, but the old saying "Garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind

I see there is alot fan fare about psychologists not wanting practice in rural areas. Who gives a ****? What, us suburbanites are chopped liver now? I am am in a mid size midwestern city in an upscale suburb and one of my friends was just telling me he had a 2 month wait to get in to a psych NP....

Last edited:
There are several possible debates. There is an important one about whether psychologists should incorporate the practice of medicine within the profession.

However, the current debate forced by the campaign to implement legislation is focused on specifics of proposals.
The DoD project offers some evidence that highly selected psychologists given intensive training - far more than what is now proposed - can prescribe at the level of a second-year medical student (that's what the ACNP said) when working in ideal conditions. However, that evidence is of little value in the debate triggered by pending legislation.

I appreciate your more cogent tone. And I do have reports to write. Debating RxP is a pleasure but I can't indulge it too much. Feel free to PM

Just to clarify this point--I'm not sure if the ACNP later changed their statement, but the DoD report states that the prescribing psychologists' general medical knowledge was "variously" judged (not explicitly measured, per se) to be between that of a 3rd and 4th year medical student, and their psychiatric knowledge was "variously" judged as "perhaps" between that of a 2nd and 3rd year psychiatry resident.

The opponents to RxP worry that our salaries may increase if we prescribe. Heaven forbid we should earn more money. Increasing salaries does not mean we are not helping people

A review of the locations of prescribing psychologists in NM and LA found that 85.9 percent were in non-rural areas. In New Mexico, 66 percent of the prescribing psychologists were not in rural areas.
In Illinois, now a battleground state, a 2007 survey found that there are virtually no psychologists in rural areas.
The claim that RxP will help the underserved in rural areas is not supported.
And once again, there is no evidence to show access to medication has been enhanced by this program.

Thanks for replying. I'm curious if a more recent survey is in the works since the survey was apparently taken in the infancy of this movement.
Out of curiosity, is your opposition for RxP solely based on quantitative measures?

The accusations leveled by CGO are not all based in fact. I received my Ph.D. in clinical psychology in 2010 from Louisiana State University, a very research-based program. I have a very extensive background in statistics and research and have published >40 articles. I completed an APA approved medical school internship. In my post-doctoral master's program at New Mexico State University, I was accompanied by many other psychologists who are professors at major universities. Thus, I am by no means an anomaly in regards to the type of psychologist completing this training.

After two years of coursework, I needed to study NIGHTLY (2-3 hours/night) for the PEP. Thus, by the time I completed the exam, I had 3 years of training. I also worked in an Department of Defense ER and shadowed an outpatient psychiatrist to gather the required hours to prescribe

I now head a semi-rural outpatient clinic a few miles from El Paso, Texas. I have a waiting list of 5 months as I am the only prescriber that accepts Medicaid in the area. A recent survey conducted by NMPA showed that less than 50 percent of psychiatrists accepts Medicaid. However, >95 percent of Rx Psychologists accept it. Thus, access to treatment shold be measured not only by where a patient lives but if we also increase access to care to patient who would not usually be able to afford it.

I use my training as a PhD to help me in my prescribing practices. I see patients misdiagnosed as Bipolar when they are in fact BPD. I just caught a case of Bipolar II in a 50 year man who was diagnosed with MDD and could not figure out why he was still depressed despite being on anti-depressant mono-therapy. I conduct psychological testing. I do brief interventions with CBT.

I wonder why RxP opponents do not use the same rage they have when psychologists prescribe and direct it towards psychiatrists and NPs who conduct psychotherapy with minimum training... Why must attack each other? We should be rallying behind Illinois and New Jersey as the bill advances. I believe this infighting is one reason the profession is flagging. Whether or not you want to Rx, a rising tide floats all boats. Why do you think salaries for a regular psychologist are so much higher in both rural and urban NM and LA?

Yes, my income has increased 3x over what I earned as a V.A. GS-13 psychologist. However, I don't see this as a sin. I should be paid well for what I do. I am not going to apologize for this. I am so tired of people in this profession trying to hold us back. Rather than engage in endless debate, I encourage you to go to the New Jersey or Illinois Psychological Association web sites and make a donation to support RxP. The bills are halfway there in both states!

Reactions: 2 users
Here are the survey results:

NMPA compiled a survey of prescribing psychologists' practice data for 2013 and thought it might be helpful for advocacy efforts elsewhere. There are currently 40 licensed to prescribe in NM but some did not see outpatients for their practice in NM in 2013 (military out of state, IHS out of state, inactive, inpatient only or very newly licensed).

Of approximately 30 RxP psychologists actively practicing in NM in 2013, we had 22 responses (73%). Of those, 90% saw Medicaid patients in their practice. 63% percent of total patients seen were living in rural areas of the state (i.e., not in ABQ, Santa Fe or Las Cruces). Collectively, the 22 of us saw an estimated total of 4,079 patients for 24,567 patient visits. So we are doing what we promised our Legislators back in 2002, seeing under served, rural and low income patients who would have great difficulty accessing a psychiatrist in their community.

While an N of 22 is not huge, if we could increase our numbers it could make a very substantial impact, especially in a time of provider shortages for Medicaid nationwide. We are using these numbers as a part of our efforts to achieve reimbursement parity with psychiatry through use of the 99 codes, which we are currently excluded from billing through Medicaid. Early indicators are very hopeful; 90% Medicaid providers vs ~40% Medicaid providers for psychiatry is a pretty stark contrast to policy makers trying to cope with an estimated 150,000 new NM Medicaid patients through ACA in 2014.

Reactions: 3 users
I now head a semi-rural outpatient clinic a few miles from El Paso, Texas.

I was recruited to a job down there a few years back, small world! Similar setup w. academic affiliation and office across the border in NM for a mixe neuropsych+RxP practice. One more bad winter and I may still do it. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Edieb, WisNeuro, Therapist4Change, thank you. Priceless education on these threads.

FWIW, WisNeuro, your statements always seemed "cogent" and professionally restrained. Never arrogant, never condescending or judgemental, never emotionally charged.

No. For example, the Illinois bill now under debate would have someone whose entire biomedical education was taken online, then undergo a practicum supervised by another psychologist with the same inferior training. That practicum would be 400 hours - 10 weeks - and writing at least one prescription for 100 patients. And, this would not have to take place in a hospital or clinic, but in a private psychology office separated from the entire medical system, which of course is rich in applied experience. Furthermore, many important decisions, plus the regulation and licensing of these medical practitioners, would be left up to a board of persons who have no medical training at all - the state psychology board.

So as you can see, it's a new branch of medicine created and managed entirely by psychologists and psychology organizations which
1. Wrote the curriculum
2. Wrote the examination for the course
3. Supervises practicum
4. Regulates and licenses these medical practitioners
5. Wrote the model legislation and paid for the lobbyists to get the law passed.

Pretty neat trick, huh?

lol

people who support psychologists prescribing claim md's are against it because they are protecting their turf, not looking out for patient safety

wait until masters-level counselors claim they have the training to prescribe too, the same psyd's and phd's will suddenly start to get very uppity about that not being safe for patients, i guarantee you!

I have a duty to warn my colleagues that they are at risk of carpal tunnel syndrome resulting from the repetitive motions of patting each other on the back.
Hopfuldoc is of course right. Interestingly, RxPers don't want to include masters level practitioners because of, um, patient safety? Funny how a psychologist can learn to practice medicine in 10 courses online but other practitioners also licensed to treat mental health patients can't. The RxPers may start sounding like the majority of psychologists who do not support RxP.

By the way, another newspaper in Illinois now opposes the RxP bill. That makes the fifth neutral organization to look at both sides of the issue and choose to oppose it. No organization which has done so has chosen to support the RxP bill.
Those are:
The Chicago Tribune both in 2013 and 2014
The Chicago Sun Times
The Illinois Chapter of NAMI
Thresholds, the state's largest private community mental health organization
and the Rockford Register-Star

As is often the case, there is a world within the RxP campaign that seems to be seriously detached from the reality outside RxP and APA. With 175 bills failed in 26 states and no support from any organization other than those connected to APA, they keep pushing this grossly unpopular and unsuccessful model rather than simply going out and getting the training necessary to be a prescriber. I can only assume that these persons are either unable to successfully pass the training that the rest of the world says is necessary, or they have been conned into thinking that the only way to do this is with the RxP campaign. That plays into the hands of the economic influences that want the RxPers to pay up to $14,000 for their "special" courses and not think about getting far better training so they can practice with far broader scope through other avenues.

Does CGO oppose training psychologists to prescribe, or just the Illinois bill? Concern about training standards and rigor is admiral and warranted. Opposing cause you are "pureist" or because people arent going to move out into the cow pastures and prescribe is dumb.

Newspapers are not neutral sides. They are commonly held to biased interests. Or, have we forgotten that politicians scramble for their "endorsements" during elections? Any comment on edisb's information?

And, thank you CaliMac.

"If you can't win on the debate, then just go for the ad hominem.
Very disappointing."

"I have a duty to warn my colleagues that they are at risk of carpal tunnel syndrome resulting from the repetitive motions of patting each other on the back."

Oh CGOPsych....

I have a duty to warn my colleagues that they are at risk of carpal tunnel syndrome resulting from the repetitive motions of patting each other on the back.
Hopfuldoc is of course right. Interestingly, RxPers don't want to include masters level practitioners because of, um, patient safety? Funny how a psychologist can learn to practice medicine in 10 courses online but other practitioners also licensed to treat mental health patients can't. The RxPers may start sounding like the majority of psychologists who do not support RxP.

By the way, another newspaper in Illinois now opposes the RxP bill. That makes the fifth neutral organization to look at both sides of the issue and choose to oppose it. No organization which has done so has chosen to support the RxP bill.
Those are:
The Chicago Tribune both in 2013 and 2014
The Chicago Sun Times
The Illinois Chapter of NAMI
Thresholds, the state's largest private community mental health organization
and the Rockford Register-Star

As is often the case, there is a world within the RxP campaign that seems to be seriously detached from the reality outside RxP and APA. With 175 bills failed in 26 states and no support from any organization other than those connected to APA, they keep pushing this grossly unpopular and unsuccessful model rather than simply going out and getting the training necessary to be a prescriber. I can only assume that these persons are either unable to successfully pass the training that the rest of the world says is necessary, or they have been conned into thinking that the only way to do this is with the RxP campaign. That plays into the hands of the economic influences that want the RxPers to pay up to $14,000 for their "special" courses and not think about getting far better training so they can practice with far broader scope through other avenues.

Many organizations, including newspapers in Illinois, have chosen to support the RxP bill. I don't understand why you say "no organzation has chosen to..." If you would like, I can provide you a list of orgaizations which have endorsed the bill. Here is one pro-RxP editiorial from a major Illinois newspaper

Editorial: Illinois House Should Grant Psychologists Prescription Privileges

EDITORIAL: Bi-partisan legislation idling in the Illinois House that grants psychologists prescription privileges should be approved.
Illinois lawmakers could give a swift, dramatic boost to Illinois mental health care by broadening affordable access to the full range of necessary services needed by low-income individuals working to secure their mental health by approving Senate Bill 2187 that endows psychologists with prescription privileges.
For years, psychologists have been seeking prescription authority, but psychiatrists have been fighting to preserve their lucrative prescription monopoly, acting as a roadblock to expanded mental health care in underserved areas in states, particularly in rural areas.
To date only New Mexico, Louisiana, Guam, the U.S. armed forces, the Indian Health Service, and the National Health Services Corps have granted psychologists prescribing privileges. The well-heeled psychiatrist lobby has blocked progress elsewhere with well financed public relations and lobbying campaigns.
In the limited but crucial segment of the U.S. where psychologists write thousands and thousands of prescriptions, no malpractice lawsuit has been filed.
Psychologists with prescribing privileges have doctoral degrees that average of five to six years of post-graduate work to complete. In addition, they pursue two years of specialized internship and postdoctoral training before sitting for board licensing exams.
Where psychologists are permitted to prescribe medications, they must complete an additional two years of coursework and earn a master’s degree in psychopharmacology and undergo a specialized training under a physician or prescribing psychologist before sitting for another national board exam in psychopharmacology. Prescribing psychologists complete more than 10 years of specialized training.
Both the U.S. and Illinois mental health system are struggling with widespread provider shortages. And the Affordable Care Act will bring more pressure to bear as new patients seek care.
The American Psychiatric Association predicts a shortage of about 22,000 psychiatrists for adults, 28,000 children and adolescents, and 2,900 geriatric patients nationally by 2015. Between 1995 to 2020, the demand for general psychiatry is expected to rise 19 percent across the nation, according to data from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
During this period, a 100 percent jump in the need for child and adolescent psychiatry is expected due to a 33 percent increase in the under-20 population from 2010 to 2050. Add the millions of new insured patients under the Affordable Care Act and a systemic crisis will swamp existing mental health networks in the U.S. and Illinois without leverage existing psychologists and their skills.
In 2013, the Illinois Senate overwhelmingly approved the legislation, sponsored by Staten Senator Don Harmon (D-Oak Park), 37-10. The bill, sponsored in the House by State Rep. John Bradley (D-Marion), has also drawn bi-partisan support and won House Executive Committee support, 7-4, last May.
The bill’s deadline for passage was extended to December 20, 2013. But there has been no action since. That’s a shame when there is such a huge pressing need for fully-armed psychologists in Illinois, especially in rural parts of the state.
We would hope that Bradley and other lawmakers would elbow the psychiatrist lobby aside and fight to resurrect this important legislation.
[email protected]

Funny how a psychologist can learn to practice medicine in 10 courses online…

Again with the misleading and at times patently false information….at least you are consistent with your disingenuous attempts to mislead the public, trainees, and newcomers to this hotly debated issue. :rolleyes:

wikipedian_protester.png

With 175 bills failed in 26 states….

Thousands of pieces of proposed legislation are developed each term across every state in the nation, so throwing out "175 bills" is at best a gross misinterpretation of a random piece of information plucked from the trash, and at worst yet another attempt to mislead the readers of this thread. Anyone who is remotely familiar with the legislative process knows how bogus your inference is compared to what actually happens in the legislative process. There are literally dozens of steps that are required in the process, many of which require augmentation of the language within the bill, which for the majority of proposed bills derails or more likely completely kills it.

Here is a good first step in learning about the legislative process.

I 'm starting to think that CGOPsych, who only shows up during RxP legislation times, is a hired troll.

You are right about CGO likely being a paid hack. Look at the comments a poster named TRT left after this editorial: http://www.saukvalley.com/2014/04/21/time-for-rxp-program-for-mental-illness/ah1zhcn/ and then read CGO's comments in post #1802 on here. They are almost word-for-word the same. This person is just going from site-to-site and stirring up emotional, groundless opposition to RxP.

Wow, I missed a heck of a conversation. Or should I say a resurgence of the debate that has been ongoing for years (including years in this thread). This fight generally becomes very aggressive due to the strong beliefs of individuals on each side of the debate.

My biggest concern is not about the ability of psychologists to safely prescribe. Of course, I think it would be good to have a strong empirical foundation indicating this but its not my personal concern. I believe a well educated clinical psychologists will most likely become a well trained prescriber. Frankly, my recent experience makes me think most prescribers are pretty bad at their jobs and believe that 99% of problems must be fixed with a pill.

My biggest concern is for the entire field and particularly the domino effect prescribing will have on training. As I mentioned before, right now a person can enroll in a primarily online-based unaccredited university, complete an unaccredited internship, and get licensed in a state that does not require post doc hours. This, to me, is unacceptable and until we get our own house in order we should not be trying to expand our scope of practice.

If we can establish state laws that require a fully accredited education for licensure and rectify the internship imbalance then I would feel much more secure in supporting post doctoral training for prescribing. Otherwise, cohort sizes in poor programs will skyrocket with students only interested in prescribing and the field will become something completely different.

My biggest concern is for the entire field and particularly the domino effect prescribing will have on training. As I mentioned before, right now a person can enroll in a primarily online-based unaccredited university, complete an unaccredited internship, and get licensed in a state that does not require post doc hours. This, to me, is unacceptable and until we get our own house in order we should not be trying to expand our scope of practice.

I agree with this in theory, but not in practice. I will continue to fight against the diploma mills, but they are big business. And, as we know, our current political climate is available to the highest bidder. As long as they lobby and pay to play, I don't see Argosy/Alliant really going anywhere. I don't know if spending the time and money to fully combat that and ignoring the AMA's fight to devalue our profession as much as they can is the best bet.

I have a feeling that if prescribing powers became the norm, I'm pretty certain that legislation/regulation would follow that a) differentiated between Psychologists who can prescribe and those that can't (maybe going to an accredited program would be the standard for prescribing powers) or b) all Psychologists can prescribe, but then I think we would see regulation tighten in regards to the diploma mills.

I agree with this in theory, but not in practice. I will continue to fight against the diploma mills, but they are big business. And, as we know, our current political climate is available to the highest bidder. As long as they lobby and pay to play, I don't see Argosy/Alliant really going anywhere. I don't know if spending the time and money to fully combat that and ignoring the AMA's fight to devalue our profession as much as they can is the best bet.
I think if the APA spent even half the money they used to promote RxP we would definitely not have an internship imbalance at the moment.

(maybe going to an accredited program would be the standard for prescribing powers) or b) all Psychologists can prescribe, but then I think we would see regulation tighten in regards to the diploma mills.
I have evidence to the contrary. For example, many of the people involved in the creation of large-cohort programs are in support of RxP, notably Cummings. Also, there was a presentation at APA last year about establishing a training program that simultaneously fulfills the requirement for the Psychopharm MA and the clinical psych doctoral degree. When directly questioned about the APA requiring generalist graduate training, the speakers stated that this type of program would not seek APA accreditation.

I think if the APA spent even half the money they used to promote RxP we would definitely not have an internship imbalance at the moment.

Where do you think APA gets a good share of it's war chest? When was the last time you were at APA? Did you see the giant Argosy signs? The APA is financially backed by these programs, why would they go to war against them?

From my understanding, the war chest comes from the APAPO Practice Assessment. The same fee that was recently the target of a legal battle. I have no idea how much of a hit, if any, the APA has taken since the news that its not actually a required fee.

I agree that the current people involved in the APA have had little motivation to challenge the status quo.

The internship imbalance is a systemic problem, not a funding problem. Funding more spots only enables the imbalance. Conversely, RxP for psychology *is* a funding problem. The solution requires more funding and more support from the field. I'm not sure the current proposals are rigorous enough to gain that support.

The internship imbalance is a systemic problem, not a funding problem. Funding more spots only enables the imbalance. Conversely, RxP for psychology *is* a funding problem. The solution requires more funding and more support from the field. I'm not sure the current proposals are rigorous enough to gain that support.

I agree with this pretty much 100%, only to add that the main barrier to RxP passing in other states (for better or worse) beyond the lack of lobbying (i.e., lack of $$, as T4C pointed out, and which is widespread with our profession as a whole) has been a lack of large-scale effort by psychologists in each state to put in the time and energy necessary to truly garner support in both the legislative community and the general populace.

I also whole-heartedly agree that the internship imbalance isn't an issue of funding. IMO, there are currently enough funded internship spots to meet the market demand for psychologists; it's more a matter of oversupply of trainees. While the efforts made to allow for interns' services to be billable are great, creating more spots isn't the answer. However, to APA's credit, they've at least been trying to make headway in fostering a national requirement for accreditation at the grad school and internship levels for licensure. Although again, not all of that responsibility falls on APA's shoulders; in the end, if psychologists actually want that to happen, it'll be up to them to make it so in their state of practice.

I never meant to imply the APA should have created more internships with that money. However, the money could have been used for lobbying for our field and changing state licensure laws.

I never meant to imply the APA should have created more internships with that money. However, the money could have been used for lobbying for our field and changing state licensure laws.

Definitely agree that we could do a better job with lobbying at all levels, although I have to say that at least based on the APAPO's emails, it seems to be improved now relative to previously. Still don't know why we haven't yet been able to get ourselves added to the Medicare "physician" definition, though.

House Showdown on Psychologist Drug Prescribing Bill Looms
Proponents Likely Have Votes to Win Passage

BOVE THE FOLD... A year-and-a-half battle between Illinois psychologists and psychiatrists may reach a critical point in the House this week.
A source says that a vote is likely in the lower chamber in the next few days on legislation, Senate
ImageProxy.mvc

Will County Behavioral Healthcare Programs Director Dr. Joe Troiani told lawmakers on the House Heroin Task Force at an April hearing in Chicago that approving SB 2187 would be a "big help" to him in order to provide heroin addiction treatment.
Bill 2187, to extend prescribing privileges to psychologists, a measure that proponents say is needed to address the scarcity of psychiatrists in Illinois, especially as communities are attempting to blunt the heroin crisis raging throughout the state.
The plan, which is sponsored by State Senator Don Harmon (D-Oak Park) and is being pushed by the Illinois Psychologist Association and community mental health agencies from across the state, cleared the Senate on April 25, 2013 on a bi-partisan roll call, 37-10-4, but stalled in the House last year.
The fight, which has brought out heavyweight lobbyists on both sides of the issue, tilted last week in the psychologists' favor when a fresh amendment helped House sponsor State Rep. John Bradley (D-Marion) propel the bill out of the House Human Services Committee on a bi-partisan 9-5-1 vote, a vote that drew 34 proponent witness slips and 104 opponents.
The key concession by psychologists was to agree to a "two-year conditional license" supervised by a physician before moving to a permanent "continuing license". The key elements of the compromise in the new amendment are:
  • Supervision by Physician who generally prescribes psychotropic medication in the normal course of clinical practice
  • Written Supervision Agreement governing the working relationship and delegating prescriptive authority
  • Review of All Cases by supervising physician
  • Weekly Consultation with supervising physician to discuss all prescription patients' history, diagnoses, medication choices, dosage levels, and all other relevant information
  • Assessment by supervising physician upon completion of the two-year period, of the prescribing psychologist's qualification to continue prescribing under a Collaborative Agreement with a physician
But that change was not enough to nix the opposition of the Illinois Psychiatrists Association or the Illinois State Medical Society, the bill's chief opponents. And House GOP Leader Jim Durkin is opposed, but there is no caucus position on the measure which signals the strength of its bi-partisan support.
If the bill is approved, Illinois would become the third state with such a law, joining Louisiana and New Mexico.
The fight over psychologist prescription privileges comes as lawmakers on the bi-partisan House Heroin Task Force, co-chaired by Deputy Majority Leader Lou Lang(D-Skokie) and State Rep. Dennis Reboletti (R-Elmhurst), are groping for solutions to the state's heroin epidemic.
The Harmon-Brady bill got a boost at the Task Force's first hearing in Chicago in April by Dr. Joseph Troiani, the director of behavioral health programs at the Will County Health Department.
Responding to Lang's call for "solutions" to the heroin crisis beyond additional money, Troiani told lawmakers that approving SB 2187 would be a "big help" to his efforts to treat heroin addiction in Will County, saying the measure would add no financial cost to the state.
Troiani said that he has 24 hours of funding available each week for psychiatric care that he is unable to fill because of the unavailability of psychiatrists to hire. A former U.S. Marine, Troiani also pointedly told lawmakers that the U.S. military granted psychologists prescribing privileges nearly 20 years ago.
"If it's good enough for the U.S. military, it should be good enough for Illinois," said Troiani, noting that there have been no mishaps or safety comprises in the armed forces from prescribing psychologists.
Lang backs the bill.
The legislation, which prohibits psychologists from prescribing opiate drugs whose alleged over-prescription by doctors has helped fuel the heroin crisis, puts the Med Society at odds once again with Lang who raised other potential ideas for consideration to address the heroin crisis, such as mandated prescription training and tighter opiate prescription monitoring, but were shot down by the docs.
The heroin task force has a hearing slated in Springfield on May 19 and the Med Society is expected to testify.
And the docs will likely blast away at the military example.
In statement presented to The Insider on Monday, the Med Society's new president Dr.William McDade said:
"ISMS takes issue with the suggestion that psychologist prescribing is a routine practice of the U.S. armed forces.
In the early 1990s, the Department of Defense (DoD) initiated the Psychopharmacology Demonstration Project (PDP). This long since discontinued program trained a total of ten psychologists to treat adult non-geriatric patients using psychotropic medications.
A 1997 PDP review determined the 'need for prescribing psychologists is not adequately justified.' The DoD invested $6 million, or $610,000 per trainee, to train each of the program participants, a sum which would far exceed the scope and expense of any additional training proposed through Illinois Senate Bill 2187. Further, since the PDP was initiated, no additional psychologists have been authorized to prescribe within the military and it is unclear how many of the ten PDP-trained psychologists are currently prescribing to military patients.
Interjecting Illinois' heroin abuse epidemic into this debate is a classic attempt at misdirection. The fact remains that psychologists are inadequately trained to prescribe.
Justifying Illinois legislation to allow psychologists prescribing rights through a very limited, defunct and narrow training experiment is not good medicine."

Still, despite McDade's dismissiveness of the proposal, delivering yet another "no" to lawmakers on the heroin issue, which has generated overwhelming bi-partisan angst and demands for action, the docs might generate a political headache for themselves, in which the typical political prescription, "Take two lobbyists, and call me in the morning" may not immediately cure.
In the meantime, sources say that the bill likely has the votes to get muscled through the House and put on Governor Pat Quinn's desk.

Thanks for the links.

I'm glad to see that the "moderator" didn't show any bias towards one side vs the other. :rolleyes: I think Dr. Hoover did a nice job of representing the training, and Dr. Anzia did a nice job of distorting the "reasons" for being against the bill. "Safety"….an easy but not factually accurate straw man. "Training and Supervision"…yup, that is indeed there.

I did chuckle at the, "I've seen multiple patients die from psychotropic medications" (paraphrased). Well…yes, that happens. Did a prescribing psychologist kill them? No…hmm…did a psychiatrist do it? NP/PA? It isn't clear, but the implication is that patients will die from psychotropic medications...if psychologists prescribed them. And the data says…..*crickets* NM, LA, US military, indian health services, and..….nope, still haven't seen any data that supports her point of view.

It'll be interesting to see if the bill can make it through.

Last edited:
Did a prescribing psychologist kill them? No…hmm…did a psychiatrist do it? NP/PA? It isn't clear, but the implication is that patients will die from psychotropic medications...if psychologists prescribed them. And the data says…..*crickets* NM, LA, US military, indian health services, and..….nope, still haven't seen any data that supports her point of view.

That is not surprising. Their approach is to create fear based on peoples ignorance.

But the fear is driven on two fronts:

a) First, they are trying to make it seem that some drugs out there are deadly while others are fine. Well no. Drugs are safe, or they aren't safe, based on studies that test safety. Certainly some drugs have more side-effects, but you don't need to have a medical degree to know that. If they are available to be prescribed, they are safe enough within the limits of the warnings stated (possible interactions, dosage, etc)

b) They try to make it seem that their medical training enables them to ensure further safety for the patient. Yet anyone who has had experience with being prescribed drugs for mental health know this isn't true. In fact, the approach to prescribing is so logical that I'd argue people who have no training and only have some rudimentary experience being prescribed drugs, know the basics. Consider dosage, first prescribe medications with less side effects before trying ones with more serious ones, prescribe medications that have really positive research/results, consider interactions, do a history and check for addiction and if there is don't prescribe addictive drugs to that patient, ask if the person is allergic to certain drugs, prescribe only a month worth of drugs/dont oversupply, consider therapy/other options before prescribing meds, ask about medical conditions (this one is logical but probably requires the most education)

The fact of the matter is, once you are prescribed medications, it is out of everybody's hands. If the drug is going to kill you, it will kill you. If a patient lies, or does irresponsible things once out of the office, I'm pretty sure the psychiatrists medical knowledge will not save the day.

Last edited:
That is not surprising. Their approach is to create fear based on peoples ignorance.

But the fear is driven on two fronts:

a) First, they are trying to make it seem that some drugs out there are deadly while others are fine. Well no. Drugs are safe, or they aren't safe, based on studies that test safety. Certainly some drugs have more side-effects, but you don't need to have a medical degree to know that. If they are available to be prescribed, they are safe enough within the limits of the warnings stated (possible interactions, dosage, etc)

b) They try to make it seem that their medical training enables them to ensure further safety for the patient. Yet anyone who has had experience with being prescribed drugs for mental health know this isn't true. In fact, the approach to prescribing is so logical that I'd argue people who have no training and only have some rudimentary experience being prescribed drugs, know the basics. Consider dosage, first prescribe medications with less side effects before trying ones with more serious ones, prescribe medications that have really positive research/results, consider interactions, do a history and check for addiction and if there is don't prescribe addictive drugs to that patient, ask if the person is allergic to certain drugs, prescribe only a month worth of drugs/dont oversupply, consider therapy/other options before prescribing meds, ask about medical conditions (this one is logical but probably requires the most education)

The fact of the matter is, once you are prescribed medications, it is out of everybody's hands. If the drug is going to kill you, it will kill you. If a patient lies, or does irresponsible things once out of the office, I'm pretty sure the psychiatrists medical knowledge will not save the day.

Personally, I can't say I'd agree with much of this. Prescribing medications, and medical decision making in general, is a complex process, and it's certainly the case that meds can be safe in some situations and not others. And I would say that yes, medical knowledge can save the day if a patient has an adverse reaction to a medication; not always, but definitely enough to make the knowledge worthwhile. Also, beyond potentially immediate and catastrophic reactions, the medical knowledge comes in to play when you're monitoring patients' responses to medications.

I don't think anyone is making the argument that medical knowledge isn't needed to prescribe medication; it is. It's more a debate revolving around whether the current medical training for psychologists is effective enough at providing the requisite medical knowledge to allow them to prescribe medications safely (well, depending on who's doing the debating).

Hmm i would not trust a psychologist prescribing in a busy inpatient setting or consulting in a general hospital (like C-L psychiatrists do) but outpatient would be just fine IMO. From wha i have red most studies didn't find any serious problems.

Unfortunately, if one is to follow that route you may end up desconstructing (from a critical viewpoint) a large amount of the educational system. Basic questions such as how much and what type of education is appropriate for someone to do a specific job do not yet have clear answers IMO. Most accreditations are based on tradition rather than pure scientific data and driven by guild-like societies with the aim of protecting their guild-affiliated practicioners rather than the consumers.

Ofourse psychiatrists would resist that change in the same way a PhD clinical psychologist would resist testing certifications for other professinals etc.

They try to make it seem that their medical training enables them to ensure further safety for the patient. Yet anyone who has had experience with being prescribed drugs for mental health know this isn't true. In fact, the approach to prescribing is so logical that I'd argue people who have no training and only have some rudimentary experience being prescribed drugs, know the basics. Consider dosage, first prescribe medications with less side effects before trying ones with more serious ones, prescribe medications that have really positive research/results, consider interactions, do a history and check for addiction and if there is don't prescribe addictive drugs to that patient, ask if the person is allergic to certain drugs, prescribe only a month worth of drugs/dont oversupply, consider therapy/other options before prescribing meds, ask about medical conditions (this one is logical but probably requires the most education)

I don't think you have the training or experience to make any of these assertions. If you did, i think you would know better than to make some of these comments.

1. I am at a loss to understand how/why you think someone with no medical and psychopharm training would be able to know what organ systems are secondarily effected by various medications? Moreover, none of those things you listed are absolute, and some aren't even appropriate considerations. For example, there many many cases where Rx a med with "more" side effects is preferable to Rx one with "less" side effects. Not all side effects are created equal. Moreover, i think anyone who has any actual knowledge of the field realizes that psychopharmacology is any but a "logical" and straightforward process. Everyone has different pharmacokinetics and there is frequently much trial and error involved.

2. I am also confused by the statement if "If the drug is going to kill you, it will kill you." I don't understand the relevance and its obviously false on the face of it. One Valium will not kill me. 20 Valiums will kills me. Its called overdose. If that Valium was prescribed inappropriately, or in access, then you bet your ass someone will be holding you responsible. Thus, in that situation, appropriate Rxing will very much "saves that day."

I am at a loss to understand how/why you think someone with no medical and psychopharm training would be able to know what organ systems are secondarily effected by various medications?

Where did I say that there should be no medical or psychopharm training?

The discussion isn't whether there should be training. (obviously there should be)
The issue I have is with the fear tactics that doctors are using. First, they are exaggerating the level of training/knowledge needed. I maintain that a large part of prescribing and drug management is so logical that a person with no training should be able to gauge the most important aspects, let alone for someone trained a year or two. I also feel that while not directly mentioning it, they make it seem that they utilize medical tests (blood tests, xrays, etc) to ensure additional safety, something that Psychologists obviously can't do. But in my experience, they don't. Doctors often don't take good histories. And they always ask patients to self-report about potential allergies or even potential medical issues they may have. Ie Do you have heart issues? Do you have liver issues? Are you allergic to this drug? If a doctor doesn't take good histories of patients, (which is common with doctors I've had) and we know that they largley ask for self-reports on allergies and medical issues, I feel it is unfair for them to suggest that they sort of go beyond what others do. They simply don't.

Valiums will kills me.

By that, I simply meant that even if you do everything correctly, people will still die. While all drugs on the market are safe, some drug will cause a rare complication that is deadly for some of the population. Or maybe despite a patient not having addiction issues, or any major medical condition, or no diagnosed mental disorder, they overdose, or mix their medication with alcohol, or what not.

My suggestion with that is that once a person leaves home, it is out of the doctors hand. A drug will kill you if it causes that rare complication in you. So it doesn't matter who prescribed it.

So my feeling is that for most part the drugs on the market are safe. The fact that the research indicates that there is not much difference in safety outcomes when doctors and non-doctors prescribe, sort of confirms this point imo.

Last edited:
Maybe you should improve your reading comprehension. Where did I say that there should be no medical or psychopharm training?

The discussion isn't whether there should be training. (obviously there should be)
The issue I have is with the fear tactics that doctors are using, and they are also exaggerating the level of knowledge needed. Those were my points.

If that is the case, then it was a poorly articulated point. Hence myself and another poster picking various pieces of it apart.

I agree with the more than occasional use of fear tactics by physicians and physicaian lobbying groups. I do NOT agree with most of the other statements/assertions in your post. And neither did another experienced psychologist.

Sorry, I have edited my post and try to articulate better what I meant.

While prescribing psychotropic meds may be seemingly straightforward in many cases (at least from the outside looking in), I'd say that in order to prescribe optimally, one needs to understand how and why the various medications work (at least as much as is currently understood). This underlying knowledge of pharmacokinetics and physiology then can allow a prescriber to ascertain when a certain medication may or may not be appropriate; some of this is captured by guidelines, but I'd imagine some is not. And having and routinely using this knowledge is probably why it seems to look so easy.

Taking a careful history prior to prescribing is of course crucial, although it's also possible that in systems such as the VA, much of the typically asked information can be gleaned from existing medical records. But having a thorough understanding of the properties of the medications you're prescribing can allow you to tailor your history taking to garner the directly-relevant and needed information. And I don't know any physicians who don't routinely order and evaluate the labs of the folks they're treating. As for side-effects being out of the doctors' hands, it probably depends in part on the specific side-effect. Many adverse reactions (even potentially fatal ones) can be caught and treated if the patient presents for help, which can also be aided by the prescriber letting them know about which side-effects they should be particularly mindful.

I do think one of the dangers of getting "sucked in" to the medical model mentality too greatly is that you can then try to go zebra hunting for a medical explanation for everything when perhaps a simpler (but less "sexy") psychosocial root cause is more directly appropriate. I think this is an area where psychologists can greatly benefit our physician colleagues, just as they can catch various medical factors and explanations we might miss.

Last edited:
Where did I say that there should be no medical or psychopharm training?

The issue I have is with the fear tactics that doctors are using. First, they are exaggerating the level of training/knowledge needed. I maintain that a large part of prescribing and drug management is so logical that a person with no training should be able to gauge the most important aspects, let alone for someone trained a year or two. I also feel that while not directly mentioning it, they make it seem that they utilize medical tests (blood tests, xrays, etc) to ensure additional safety, something that Psychologists obviously can't do. But in my experience, they don't. Doctors often don't take good histories. And they always ask patients to self-report about potential allergies or even potential medical issues they may have. Ie Do you have heart issues? Do you have liver issues? Are you allergic to this drug? If a doctor doesn't take good histories of patients, (which is common with doctors I've had) and we know that they largley ask for self-reports on allergies and medical issues, I feel it is unfair for them to suggest that they sort of go beyond what others do. They simply don't..

Downplaying the importance of proper background training does NOTHING to advance the cause of psychologists Rxing and only makes a person look overconfidence and ignorant (you dont know what you know know, etc.).

Do you think this is the attitude/stance that will advance political legistlation for this cause or hurt it?

Do you think this is the attitude/stance that will advance political legistlation for this cause or hurt it?

Yeah, I don't think that approach is wrong. I think it just requires some tact to present it in a more proper way. For example, instead of simply downplaying the training involved, simply point out that Psychologists have been prescribing succesfully in the military for quite awhile with similar results to MD's. Physicians Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Optometrists also have the right to prescribe and their training in psychopharmacology is similar or even less than many Clinical Psychologists.

For example, instead of simply downplaying the training involved, simply point out that Psychologists have been prescribing succesfully in the military for quite awhile with similar results to MD's. Physicians Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Optometrists also have the right to prescribe and their training in psychopharmacology is similar or even less than many Clinical Psychologists.

K. Then why did you go on a two post diatribe about how common sensical Rxing psychotropic medication is and how it requires only basic medical training? Its false and does nothing to help this cause. Please dont be part of the problem...

The US has way too many people on powerful pscyh meds as it is. More than anywhere else in the world.
Strangely psychologists have always been the most cognizant of this problem but I suspect they'll change their tune when/if they get to prescribe.

If anything, I'd like bills with more limitations on psych prescriptions and on pharma involvement, rather than throwing out Rx pads to more mental health workers.