Psychophysics? Foundational Concept 6A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Psychophysics is listed under Foundational Concept 6A and I haven't found too much information on it.

What I have found is that it includes Fechners Law (expansion of Webers law) which states that our subjective sensation is proportional to the log of the stimulus intensity.

Anyone find anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Psyhophysics is a behavioural research technique that is used to study people's ability to sense changes in the stimulus (orientation, shape, size, noise level etc) - you can measure that by asking participants to report when they have noticed a change ot ask participants to do a task and measure behaviour differences.

Weber's Law and Fechner's Law mainly deals with JND (minimum level of difference that can be detected), but psychophysics can go one step further - it can be used to see if people can process that information about the change and alter their behaviour or action accordingly.

I suppose this concept can be tested via a experiment based passage. This is my interpretation of the concept. I am not sure how much level of detail is required about ot. maybe someone else can confirm or elaborate. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 users
From my understanding,
Psychophysic : expansion of weber law aka fechner's law. It say there's a relationship between perceived intensity (how human brain perceived different change of stimuli) and actualy physical stimulus intensity. It's a logarithmic propotional relationship (not a direct one). I take it as we perceived in amplified version compare to actual intensity.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course