Psychosis...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrFreud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can guilt lead to psychosis?

Members don't see this ad.

There is such a thing as "delusional guilt," often seen in severe depression with psychotic features. But the guilt has not caused psychosis. Psychosis can have many underlying medical etiologies (etoh withdrawl, cocaine binges, electrolyte imbalances, dementia, schizophrenia, just to name a few) and guilt is not one of them. However, extreme stress can lead to a psychotic break in people with schizophrenia or in those who have had psychotic episodes in the past.

Are you gonna tell me it all because of my refrigerator mother, Mr.Freud? :)

Last edited:
Are you gonna tell me it all my refrigerator mothers fault, Mr.Freud? :)

It's your refrigerator's mother's fault.
She wasn't called "Frigidaire" for nothing.:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Fridge mother?
What are you two talking about?

Yes, but guilt can lead to extreme stress and extreme stress to a psychotic break. Right?

I have to say that given these are your first (and only) three posts, my moderator Spidey-sense is tingling that you may be covertly asking for medical advice, which is not permitted on SDN....

"Fridge mother?
What are you two talking about?"

:rolleyes: and you use the name Freud........

Besides that , I doubt that Freud had a refrigerator...

Yes, but Im sure you got the psychodynamic tilt I was getting at. Come on people.......

Yes, but Im sure you got the psychodynamic tilt I was getting at. Come on people.......

And the history/pattern of psychology automatically blaming the mothers for all psychological ills even when it's not justified -
as in the "schizophrenigenic mother" theory.

But perhaps we should stick to the old adage:
If you have to explain a joke...........don't.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread already in progress.