PT Clinic Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ETR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a PT student, I shadowed a couple of PTs and I love the field. I do have some career goals set out. I do, one day, want own my own clinic and work in it as well. Of course I want to work for a couple of years before this happens. Can anyone who own their own clinic or knows someone who does share some kinds of experiences such as the process or anything?

Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I too want to own my own clinic in the future. I want to work for a couple of years first before starting my own clinic. The things we have to think about before starting are own clinic are

Location (must have a good location to do good business)

Reputation (the more we spread our name, the more people will know about us)

Equipment (must have enough money saved up/put aside to buy equipment)

Insurance (deciding which insurance companies to take will depend on what most people you think might have)

Employees (do you plan to have employees? are we going to offer them insurance, benefits and morel actually since this health care bill we might have to provide them medical insurance)

Time (get ready to put in the time and effort to make this practice successful)

I would like to open my own orthopedic clinic in the future

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to dissuade anyone from their dreams, but 'it ain't as easy as it looks'...nor as lucrative.

Talk to as many people as you can...you will be surprised to find that many clinic owners will tell you about the "decade it took them before consistently being in the black" or the "long hours into the night, not to mention weekends" and still net less than their office secretary for the month.

Nothing beats being your own boss, but understand the sacrifices and risks involved (which can only happen with exposure in the field). Concentrate on being a good PT first, then start thinking about starting your own business.

Not to dissuade anyone from their dreams, but 'it ain't as easy as it looks'...nor as lucrative.

Talk to as many people as you can...you will be surprised to find that many clinic owners will tell you about the "decade it took them before consistently being in the black" or the "long hours into the night, not to mention weekends" and still net less than their office secretary for the month.

Nothing beats being your own boss, but understand the sacrifices and risks involved (which can only happen with exposure in the field). Concentrate on being a good PT first, then start thinking about starting your own business.
god, these posts are seriously pissing me off. i appreciate your honesty...but im getting frustrated with how impossible it seems to make money in this field. the need for pt is blowing up, but somehow, its becoming more and more difficult to make a dime. it makes me sick. by the time im done, i will have a 4 yr undergrad degree, 2 years of prereq course work, and a 3 year clinical doctorate....but somehow thats not enough.

with all of that invested, and becoming great at what you do, it shouldnt be that difficult to make a decent living. im sorry to rant but its just really frustrating to be reading this negativity everyday on here.

god, these posts are seriously pissing me off. i appreciate your honesty...but im getting frustrated with how impossible it seems to make money in this field. the need for pt is blowing up, but somehow, its becoming more and more difficult to make a dime. it makes me sick. by the time im done, i will have a 4 yr undergrad degree, 2 years of prereq course work, and a 3 year clinical doctorate....but somehow thats not enough.

with all of that invested, and becoming great at what you do, it shouldnt be that difficult to make a decent living. im sorry to rant but its just really frustrating to be reading this negativity everyday on here.

My post is nothing unique to PT...it is generic to starting your own practice in any field (from law to an antique book shop).

I haven't read or heard any of the negativity you are mentioning...starting salaries for PTs in my area is ~70k. 5 years out, unless you left your brain in PT school, that's up to ~80k. Now, that is a 40hr work week. Add 10hrs of $50/hr per diem work, and you are grossing over 100k a year. Work up to clinic manager, and your base is ~90k plus a percentage of the clinics profits for the year, friends gross well over 120k in busier clinics, granted they work their butts off.

Now, if you put in the years, time, and effort it takes to start a business, then there is no ceiling.

This is no different for any other healthcare field...the numbers may be higher in medicine, but they pay their share of dues for the greater part of a decade before they are on their own, doing their thing.

My post is nothing unique to PT...it is generic to starting your own practice in any field (from law to an antique book shop).

I haven't read or heard any of the negativity you are mentioning...starting salaries for PTs in my area is ~70k. 5 years out, unless you left your brain in PT school, that's up to ~80k. Now, that is a 40hr work week. Add 10hrs of $50/hr per diem work, and you are grossing over 100k a year. Work up to clinic manager, and your base is ~90k plus a percentage of the clinics profits for the year, friends gross well over 120k in busier clinics, granted they work their butts off.

Now, if you put in the years, time, and effort it takes to start a business, then there is no ceiling.

This is no different for any other healthcare field...the numbers may be higher in medicine, but they pay their share of dues for the greater part of a decade before they are on their own, doing their thing.
ok well when you put it that way, thats a bit more reassuring. i understand starting your own business is risky and it entails quite a bit. i just got the impression from this forum that starting a pt clinic is more difficult than it used to be, and less lucrative than many other fields bc of the issues with reimbursement.

im going into pt no matter what, and the figures you posted look fair to me. (ive seen a variety of starting salaries posted on here...so i dont even know what to believe anymore). but i just think that as professionals, we should be adequately paid.