Pt school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeMoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and am looking for some direction and advice. I am wanting to become a physical therapist and looking into schools. I'm concerned that my gpa will be my Achilles heel. I have a 2.99 gpa along with playing collegiate soccer and football my last three years. Also I am going to start my job as a therapy technician. I still need to take physics and chemistry but I am wondering if it's even worth applying if I'm not even going to be given a chance. Hope to hear feedback soon

Members don't see this ad.

Did you already finish your bachelors degree? If not then just worry about getting as many A's and B's as you can, study hard for the GRE. As far as volunteer hours try to get 10-20 hours in a few different settings..most schools look into the application as a whole so if the rest of your application is solid you should have a good chance!

Don't give up so easily. Do you have both chemistry and physics 1 &2 left? If so make A's in those 4 courses which would boost up your GPA. In order to stand out in your essay, use your experiences in sports along with other personal experiences to tell a story about why you want to be a PT. Don't tell them about an injury you sustained, and that recieving PT made you want to do it; Tell them a story about your experiences, and show your maturity assuming you have some. With a GPA lower than a 3.3 overall you are going to have to write well. The PT director at a school that I was accepted to last month told us at the interview that our essay is what got us there. I know every school is different, but It's the main way other than an interview that you can speak directly to the program, and show them your creativity and personality to an extent. Just make an A in every class you have left, and start thinking how to creatively construct your story for the PTCAS essay next cycle July 2014. It's time to Buck Up!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you already finish your bachelors degree? If not then just worry about getting as many A's and B's as you can, study hard for the GRE. As far as volunteer hours try to get 10-20 hours in a few different settings..most schools look into the application as a whole so if the rest of your application is solid you should have a good chance!
Yes I have a bachelors in Exercise and sports science. Well I'm going to be working in a physical therapy clinic as a PT aide so I'm wondering if that will help greatly. Plus the doctor I'm working for will write me a letter of recommendation.

Don't give up so easily. Do you have both chemistry and physics 1 &2 left? If so make A's in those 4 courses which would boost up your GPA. In order to stand out in your essay, use your experiences in sports along with other personal experiences to tell a story about why you want to be a PT. Don't tell them about an injury you sustained, and that recieving PT made you want to do it; Tell them a story about your experiences, and show your maturity assuming you have some. With a GPA lower than a 3.3 overall you are going to have to write well. The PT director at a school that I was accepted to last month told us at the interview that our essay is what got us there. I know every school is different, but It's the main way other than an interview that you can speak directly to the program, and show them your creativity and personality to an extent. Just make an A in every class you have left, and start thinking how to creatively construct your story for the PTCAS essay next cycle July 2014. It's time to Buck Up!!
No I still need to take both chemistry 1&2 and physics 1&2 bc my degree didn't require those classes so I'm trying to catch up. Thank you so much for the information you all have very helpful!

IS 2.99 your overall GPA? Prereq GPA? Do you have any other C's in your prereq that you can retake?

Excel in your remaining pre-requisites to boost your pGPA and your cGPA. As the OP said, write well! Have someone harshly critique your essay.