PT title on documents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmaddre

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While the DPT is a doctorate degree, I haven't see many PTs refer to themselves as Dr. Soandso. Why is that?

Members don't see this ad.

It's more common in OP settings. Use the search function to look up previous topics on this subject.

I don't really know any OP PTs who go by Dr. Last Name, although my exposure is somewhat limited. That being said, I am about to start work in an OP clinic and will not require my patients to refer to me as Dr. Last Name. I'd prefer to be a little more personal with patients and have them call me by my first name; plus the other therapists also go by their first names, so I don't want to be called Dr when the clinic director who has 18 years of experience goes by her first name. That being said, perhaps if I was in a setting where the other therapists were already being called Dr. Last Name, I would follow suit. I'm definitely proud of it and my family and friends have been calling me Dr. First Name since I graduated! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely search and you'll find more answers than you probably even want. The topic has been talked in circles repeatedly.

Personally, I've had one boss (school setting) that insisted upon introducing me and referring to me as Dr.Callmecrazy. I found it awkward when I would have asked those same people to use just my first name.

Reactions: 1 user