PTA's in demand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLsurferDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does any one know if there are jobs for PTA's out there? I have a community college near home that has a PTA AS degree for only about 5,000 dollars. :confused:
Yes, in Tallahassee they have an ad in the radio (you know the ones, I'm sure you've heard them before) with a generic voice saying such ad such hospital is now hiring a (then another voice comes in and says) PTA. I'm pretty sure I've heard that like for 3 months now.

Anyway, what happened to RN? You want to go from a DPT program to a PTA program. That's fine...I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or actually back to just PT in general. lol. Staring a new PTCAS application today but just focusing in on schools close to home and that aren't masters program. There is a reason I wanted to be a physical therapist and I should not have let one bad experience prevent me from my dream profession. Even if I only get into a PTA program this cycle since I'm applying late at least I'll be pursuing a great career. Good luck to you jbizzle.
Alright!!!!! That's awesome. You know what, I wouldn't be close to home either if I would get in. Luckily I have schools inviting me for an interview not because they are interviewing me (because I hate interviews) but so I can check what their program is all about. I know location is the thing for you, but I honestly think Temple should be one of the programs you consider. They are very supportive from staff to students. You'll probably apply to FL schools mostly? What part of FL are you from?

I've heard differing things about PTAs from two of my bosses...one said that the PTA profession will be obsolete because PTAs can't see certain patient types, and there are other restrictions on them. The other said that PTAs will take over because they are much cheaper to hire, so in the long run clinics may have one or two PTs and several PTAs.

Wouldn't you already have like half of the PTA requirements done since you're already in PT school? (A&P, bio, medical terminology, etc?)

Two days ago in the other forum you said you were going to go for DO...what happened to that?

I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything of the source...believe me I've gone back and forth in my mind about what I want to do hundreds of times. May I ask how old you are? Don't feel rushed to make a decision...it sounds like you need to sit back and relax and think about what you really want to do - if you are 100% sure you don't want to do the PT program you're in, then withdrawal and take some time to yourself to really decide what you want. The worse thing right now would be to jump into something else (RN, DO, PTA) and then realize that's not what you want to do either. It'd be better to take some time and reflect on what you really want out of a career.

One thing to think about...would you really be satisfied as a PTA working under a PT when you were once in PT school yourself? Some people would be totally fine in that situation, but I know others who would not. Just something to think about.

Good luck!

FLsurferDPT what happened at your current program? Feel free to PM me.

As for the future of PTAs.. who knows. I know there has been some talk among some PTs regarding eliminating the requirement to use only a PTA for treatment. The debate continues as some PTs believe they should be able to utilize their best judgement regarding who (PTA, ATC, MT, PT aide etc.) can perform treatment. The counter argument amonst PTs is that if they were to make such a change, then it could give a reason for third-party payers to provide less reimbursment due to knowing a PT aide at $10/hour is providing treatment. At the current time, a PTA has a billing benefit due to medicare so they bring in revenue for the facility.

It's really hard for me to believe that PTAs are going anywhere. Why would they go away? They've demonstrated for years that they are a cheaper alternative for delivering therapy and essential for diluting the service. At a time where costs are of the essence and an increase in Medicare beneficiaries is looking to crash the system, I don't understand the argument how they will be going away. Can anyone tell me why they would?

FLSurfer....

I think you need to just get off the forum and let your mind relax before you make a decision. I assume you are still in the PT school that you started in. I understand that you are away from home and that it can be daunting to not have that social support system in place that you were used to. However, you ARE IN a program that you obviously felt good about or you would not have accepted the offer. Look at this as a chance to overcome something unpleasant and to have a great time learning a new area and meeting new people.

What you are feeling will pass. Believe me, I have been there.

FLsurferDPT what happened at your current program? Feel free to PM me.

As for the future of PTAs.. who knows. I know there has been some talk among some PTs regarding eliminating the requirement to use only a PTA for treatment. The debate continues as some PTs believe they should be able to utilize their best judgement regarding who (PTA, ATC, MT, PT aide etc.) can perform treatment. The counter argument amonst PTs is that if they were to make such a change, then it could give a reason for third-party payers to provide less reimbursment due to knowing a PT aide at $10/hour is providing treatment. At the current time, a PTA has a billing benefit due to medicare so they bring in revenue for the facility.

It's really hard for me to believe that PTAs are going anywhere. Why would they go away? They've demonstrated for years that they are a cheaper alternative for delivering therapy and essential for diluting the service. At a time where costs are of the essence and an increase in Medicare beneficiaries is looking to crash the system, I don't understand the argument how they will be going away. Can anyone tell me why they would?

Well, here's an article that suggests that clinics that have a higher utilization rate for PTAs achieve worse outcomes when treating patients with LBP (which, by the way, is the most common diagnosis seen in most outpatient clinics).

Its your life to live, and I don't want to be a dick here, BUT have you dealt with any adversity in your lifetime FLSurferDPT? It seems to be a completely foreign experience to you. You really want to be a PT, are in a nice PT school, yet are planning on leaving b/c its too far away from home? I suppose your little personal revelation the other day about wanting to study medicine was merely an excuse to move back? And now you've scrapped that whole idea to become a PTA (again, so you can move back to your comfort zone)?

I think dropping out if you still want to do PT would be a huge mistake. You're not setting the greatest precedent for yourself in dealing with life's challenges. Maybe you should take a break from school altogether and do some traveling. Go to Thailand and see how girls ten years younger than you leave home to go sell their bodies so they can send money back to their poor parents. Going to school a few states away won't seem quite as daunting then.

FLSurferDPT-

I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. I truly can sympathize with you because you sound like me a year ago. I was having mental breakdowns because I was working full time and going to school full time and thought "maybe pt isn't my thing...?". i went back and forth a hundred times between PT, PTA, PA, and RN. I even filled out an application for RN school. I can only imagine how it must be having to deal with all of this away from your support system. I would be a mess which I think you are turning into (and I mean in the nicest way :)).

I agree with Dancer. I think you just need to calm down and think what do YOU want. it doesn't really matter what any of us sitting behind our computer screens think you should do. you are going to have to deal with you choices which i am not sure you are ready to make as you keep having different careers in mind.

my friend is finishing her 1st year of PT school and she was like you her first semester. she HATED it/felt overwhelmed and even applied for full time jobs b/c she planned on dropping out. yet she stuck it out and is still going strong.

I have not started school yet so i do not want to act like i know it all but i do know that PT school is TOUGH and i would hate for you to drop out and then regret it you know? also regarding PTA, I think if you ultimately want to be a PT, the PTA is a longer more stressful and actually more costly option.

anyways if i were you i would just wait out the rest of the year before making any decisions. take some time over the holidays to relax and do some deep thinking. good luck and keep positive-don't let this decision worry you so much :)

Well, here's an article that suggests that clinics that have a higher utilization rate for PTAs achieve worse outcomes when treating patients with LBP (which, by the way, is the most common diagnosis seen in most outpatient clinics).

I wonder if outpatient PT went to a cash-only environment if PTAs would be utilized for their skill. Any speculations?

I am definitely no expert on this topic by far. But from what I read, you are already enrolled in PT school? From the research i've done, the steps you've taken this far we're hard in themselves. PTA is a totally different program, and is an associates if im correct. You already earned your bachelors and got the pre req's for PT school and are enrolled in it, your very close, I dont know how hard PT school is but my advice is to stick it out for the 3 years or so and you will should be happy in the end.

I wonder if outpatient PT went to a cash-only environment if PTAs would be utilized for their skill. Any speculations?

I doubt this would improve PTA utlization. I have worked in various outpatient ortho clinics and only one used PTAs at all, and in this setting, it was to primarily assist with ther ex for patients after they had recieved their assessment, manual therapy and other interventions that the primary PT wanted to perform before turning them over to the PTA.

Realistically, a cash-only practice reduces the costs required to run an outpatient facility because you aren't wasting resources chasing after money from third party payors or from patients who have outstanding balances. This diminishes one of the primary benefits of employing a PTA - they reduce your labor costs.

PTAs aren't able to perform evaluations or re-assessments, and the APTA has come out with a position statement recommending that they not perform manaual therapy, as they feel these techniques require constant/continual reassessment of the patients symptoms and therefore fall outside of the PTA practice act.

There aren't that many patients who come into my clinic who don't need an eval, re-assesment of some type of manual therapy. So, if i were a private clinic owner, I don't think beign a cash-only practice would make me more likely to employ a PTA