PTCAS confusion? 2013-2014? Waiting for Application to be released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xx6xx12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply for PT schools in the upcoming fall. I would like to start handing my LOR and Internship hours into PTCAS just to get it out of the way. Is this even an option? On the PTCAS website it only seems to regard 2012-2013.

Also how should I prepare to complete my application if it hasn't even been released? Also ptcas mentions it will take 4-5 weeks for things to process, but to apply early. How can apply early if the application hasn't even been released?

I feel confused.....:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

the ptcas application for next cycle doesn't open until the beginning of July. At that time you will be able to start adding your classes and observations, etc. There isn't any way you can complete these beforehand.The only way you can get a start on lor's and hours is if you are applying to a school that doesn't use ptcas and requires paper forms for application.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's usually an early decision for some schools in which you can apply for early spots granted if you have graduated already with all prereqs, GRE scores etc done.

I feel like this is going to screw up my LOR the most. Should I let my teachers know now that they will be receiving an email in july from ptcas? I also wanted their impression/opinion of me to be "fresh" in their head while writing the LOR.

Let your LORS know now that you will be wanting to use them, PTCAS will elec send the notice and form. you will have to follow up to make sure it did not go into their spam mail. This info and instructions are on the PTCAS site and I believe you can read the instructions w/out registering....Start your observations and keep a log of the hours, locations and PT you worked w/ then you enter all this on the PTAS format. You'll also want to be ready to send your transcripts as soon as the cycle opens. The earlier the better, there is also a faster turn around w/ things getting processed when you apply early. Good Luck PTAS now is able to transfer some of the info to a new cycle but not all of it. Instruction on site should tell you what is what.

Have everything ready to go at the beginning of July. Be ready to send those verification e-mails, and set aside a couple hours to complete your transcript. Get your transcript now. Write a personal statement now. Do as much as you can now. It's been said before, but the sooner the better. If there are any problems with your application, you'll have plenty of time to fix errors. You'll probably get interview offers in September and October.

Kevin

This may seem like a really stupid question, but why get the transcript now if you haven't completed the semester yet? I'm also taking classes this summer. Do you have to physically mail a copy of your transcripts to every school that you apply to? For example, if i'm applying to 10 schools, i'd have to get ten official copies of my transcript from whoever (the registrars office most likely?) at my current institution?

As far as personal statement goes, how long or short should this be, and what should one be writing about without a prompt to answer. Obviously i can put bunches of ideas together but in the end it's always going to be tailored towards your story of why you want to do PT etc etc, right?

This may seem like a really stupid question, but why get the transcript now if you haven't completed the semester yet? I'm also taking classes this summer. Do you have to physically mail a copy of your transcripts to every school that you apply to? For example, if i'm applying to 10 schools, i'd have to get ten official copies of my transcript from whoever (the registrars office most likely?) at my current institution?

As far as personal statement goes, how long or short should this be, and what should one be writing about without a prompt to answer. Obviously i can put bunches of ideas together but in the end it's always going to be tailored towards your story of why you want to do PT etc etc, right?

Get your transcript after the semester is over. You have until July. You just mail one copy to ptcas and they verify it and that's good for all schools (usually). When you get accepted then you send one last transcript after your graduate. Personal statements are limited to 4500 characters I believe, so there's that. Usually ptcas comes out with the prompt before the applications open. Look on their facebook and ask them.

Thanks Nicole, so really for right now i should just be putting general ideas together for my personal statement until the prompt is released? How did you go about it?

Joe

Thanks Nicole, so really for right now i should just be putting general ideas together for my personal statement until the prompt is released? How did you go about it?

Joe

I didn't do anything for it until I knew what the prompt was. What's the point? Sure you can put together ideas about why you want to do pt etc, but if they ask a question about autonomous practice (what it was supposed to be last cycle), then your ideas are pretty worthless with that prompt.

Get your transcript after the semester is over. You have until July. You just mail one copy to ptcas and they verify it and that's good for all schools (usually). When you get accepted then you send one last transcript after your graduate. Personal statements are limited to 4500 characters I believe, so there's that. Usually ptcas comes out with the prompt before the applications open. Look on their facebook and ask them.

I'm retaking statistics this summer, I got a C and my graduate schools require a higher grade. If i get my transcript after this semester it will not have my new statistics grade. How should I handle this situation?

I'm retaking statistics this summer, I got a C and my graduate schools require a higher grade. If i get my transcript after this semester it will not have my new statistics grade. How should I handle this situation?

Well you could send one immediately when the application period opens and communicate with schools that you are retaking statistics and will send them an updated one when that grade is official, or you could just wait until you retake it to send. As long as you have your materials in by the end of Aug, very beginning of Sept I'd say you're golden. Even for schools with rolling admissions.But I'm assuming your summer class will be done before August, so just hand in the transcript after.

Thanks Nicole! I'm a little less stressed now.

If I re-apply next year, does my application from this year transfer over? Or do I have to ask to letters of recommendations and observation hour confirmations again?

If I re-apply next year, does my application from this year transfer over? Or do I have to ask to letters of recommendations and observation hour confirmations again?

Nope, gotta get recommendations and observations again.