PTCAS ESSAY QUESTION FOR 2015-2016 APPLICATION CYCLE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The essay question for the PTCAS application has been confirmed! It is last years question! So get to writing! You have two months before the application cycle opens, this will give you such an advantage to develop a well written essay. Do plenty of edits and reach out to me if you need help. I am happy to do so!

Here it is:

"APTA's vision for physical therapy is 'transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience'. How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
For those who are reapplying, will you write a new essay or reuse the same one?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you they give any guidelines for length of the essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's interesting they are sticking to the same question, then again it is a somewhat creative question.

Probably got tired of repeated "I tore my ________ (enter: ACL) and went through PT"

Reactions: 4 users
I bet it generated more interesting essays than "Why do you want to be a physical therapist?"

I know it forced me to take a different direction than I had planned (for the better), though I was kind of dissatisfied with my essay overall.

Reactions: 3 users

When I reapplied I re-read my essay. I wanted to see if after a year I had a different perspective to write on. I wanted to polish it up a bit. OR I wanted to take some ideas from it and construct a new essay. It's all about how you feel your essay is written, but it's always good to change some things. You may be able to spot a week point and make it stronger.

Do you they give any guidelines for length of the essay?

4500 characters. It is wise to write it in a word document, and also paste it in to the PTCAS essay box to make sure your characters don't go over. That's how I wrote mine lol. Sometimes word may see characters different than PTCAS.

I bet it generated more interesting essays than "Why do you want to be a physical therapist?"

I know it forced me to take a different direction than I had planned (for the better), though I was kind of dissatisfied with my essay overall.

I agree I liked this essay prompt last year it helped me hone in on my passion as a PT

I just wrote a new post on my blog with tips on how to brainstorm for your essay! Check it out here at my blog: dptknow.tumblr.com

Let me know if you have questions!

I certainly wouldn't re-submit the exact same essay, especially if you are reapplying to some of the same schools. You don't necessarily have to rewrite an entirely different one from scratch, but I think your first one should certainly be modified a least a bit to reflect the experience you have had over that gap year. Even if you don't talk about those experiences specifically, they may have changed your attitude/perspective regarding what you wrote in your essay previously. Adcoms can tell the difference between thoughtful essays and BS essays.

Where or how did you get confirmation that this will be the essay for the next cycle? When I look at the PTCAS site, all the information is still for the current cycle (2014-2015). Their site states that the essay topic will be released in June. Maybe you called and spoke to someone there? It's great to be able to get a jump on this essay now.

I finally found the PTCAS post on Facebook. Thank you ! I see it is staying the same!

Its on PTCAS Facebook page..

Yup thats where I confirmed it . Thanks!

Where or how did you get confirmation that this will be the essay for the next cycle? When I look at the PTCAS site, all the information is still for the current cycle (2014-2015). Their site states that the essay topic will be released in June. Maybe you called and spoke to someone there? It's great to be able to get a jump on this essay now.

A friend of mine emailed and was told the essay was the same. I then checked the PTCAS Facebook and saw it there. I just wanted to pass down the information, because its great to get a head start.

Does PTCAS consider spaces and punctuation to be characters?

How long typically are your essays?

How long typically are your essays?

4500 characters so about a page is what's allowed. I usually have met that. It just depends on how you get your point across in your essay. Work with the allotted character amount but do your best -worry about length after your ideas are on paper. Just my advice . I usually do thay then cut out whats repetitive etc. Then see where you are

Last edited: