Public Health and Climate Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christo.machiya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been strongly considering pursuing a graduate degree in public health, and came across this forum. Needless to say, I think it's a gold mine of helpful information.

I'm wondering if anyone here has explored researching the impacts of climate change on public health in their studies? I'm not sure what route I should take in order to pursue this path.

I saw that Forbes magazine ranked public health as one of the top 10 master's degrees. I'm hoping this will be a promising field and it won't be too difficult to find a job.

I have a B.S. I'm exercise science (3.9 GPA) from Eastern Michigan University (2013), and I currently live in the Detroit area, and am considering going to University of Michigan.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you would ever consider applying to/attending Columbia University, but they have a Climate & Health certificate option (all MPH students must choose a certificate). The environmental health concentration is probably the most compatible with the certificate, but you can also choose to concentrate in Epi, Health Policy & Management, etc. Here is a link if you want to learn more about it:
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/aca...full-time-mph/certificates/climate-and-health
Columbia seems to have a strong environmetal health department, although University of Michigan would also be a great choice.
I'm not too sure about job prospects with regard to climate and health, but it is definitely a hot topic these days!

Very interesting! I could look into Columbia. Thanks for the info!