Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblebee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a career in public health, but i'm not sure what part of public health i should pursue. I'm interested in learning about diseases, and i want to focus on the health of the general population rather than an individual. I want to help there be better healthcare, more specifically in 3rd world countries. I also want to educate the public about diseases so that they can help avoid preventable diseases. I'm not really interested in going to med school, but i would like to know what types of careers i can pursue my interests in. Maybe epidemiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Look into a masters in public health or global health. there is a forum here for folks pursuing masters or doctaorate level education in the health sciences( mph, drph, dsc, dhsc, etc)

go for an MPH in epidemiology ...there are schools that have global health tracks but you can get involved in global health without being in one of those tracks. once you finish your MPH you can go on and get your PhD (or DrPH depending on the school) if it interests you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of work do you hope to be doing? From what you've written it seems you'd be interested in social & behavioral sciences, global health, and health policy. Also make sure you're ready to tackle quantitative coursework regardless of field.