Public Opinion of Physicians vs. Nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nasrudin, I love how, in just about every thread you post, you're apparently the "voice of reason" or the authority on what should and should not be posted.

I could not literally give two craps about allnurses. I'm not a fan of nursing or a fan of the people who post about nursing. The later includes medical students who think they have so much real world experience that gives them insight into the world of nursing and why their positions matter.

News flash: you probably know as much about nursing as nurses do about medicine, which is not very much.

The problem with healthcare in general is that public perception is held to such a higher standard than public compliance with their respect treatment regimens. The second biggest problem is that politics are even remotely a part of healthcare. Why should one group have to resort to even thinking about making bribes to position themselves in a more positive light. Perhaps instead of one large bribe to [insert important figure], physicians should give each patient 5 bucks for a positive review online or 10 bucks for a press ganey. It doesn't sound like much, but to each Medicaid patient who already hates you because they don't understand why you wanted to see them at their scheduled appointment time and not 3 hours later when they decide to come in, this may be enough to sway them.

Most nurses are not part of unions. Understaffed? Don't care. Underpaid? Probably. I just do my job and go home. Some nights I get sh** on. Literally. Some nights I don't. It's nothing warm water, hibicleans, and a good cup of coffee can't fix.

*edit* my phone autocorrected nasrudin

Members don't see this ad.

Nasrudin, I love how, in just about every thread you post, you're apparently the "voice of reason" or the authority on what should and should not be posted.

I could not literally give two craps about allnurses. I'm not a fan of nursing or a fan of the people who post about nursing. The later includes medical students who think they have so much real world experience that gives them insight into the world of nursing and why their positions matter.

News flash: you probably know as much about nursing as nurses do about medicine, which is not very much.

The problem with healthcare in general is that public perception is held to such a higher standard than public compliance with their respect treatment regimens. The second biggest problem is that politics are even remotely a part of healthcare. Why should one group have to resort to even thinking about making bribes to position themselves in a more positive light. Perhaps instead of one large bribe to [insert important figure], physicians should give each patient 5 bucks for a positive review online or 10 bucks for a press ganey. It doesn't sound like much, but to each Medicaid patient who already hates you because they don't understand why you wanted to see them at their scheduled appointment time and not 3 hours later when they decide to come in, this may be enough to sway them.

Most nurses are not part of unions. Understaffed? Don't care. Underpaid? Probably. I just do my job and go home. Some nights I get sh** on. Literally. Some nights I don't. It's nothing warm water, hibicleans, and a good cup of coffee can't fix.

*edit* my phone autocorrected nasrudin

Well ok then. That is actually an interesting idea, amidst some other stuff that I don't why your telling me about. And is germain to the original topic. Which is all that I ask in no semblance of humility.

What kind of nit-picky nonsense is this. It's a passive aggressive point that goes exactly nowhere. Making the statement that nursing shifts are "typically 12 hours" = discreditation. How about we address the topic of the thread.

Conversations evolve. I found something I wanted to reply to, so I did. That's what happens during a discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where I've worked it was a straight 8. For you guys 12. Great. 8, 9, 10, 12, whatever. This is medicine. If you want to quibble over the average shifts of your career as nurses in a thread entirely devoted to such inconsequential things to us go to allnurses.com or whatever it's called.

Uh, I'm not a nurse. I'm a fourth-year medical student who decided to read this thread and replied to something I found questionable. Considering you're just a random poster, I think I'll continue to do that in the course of, you know, being my own person and judging for myself what is and isn't relevant to the discussion.

Just not willing to get in trouble (offline) for comments here, LOL!

I think a lot of people perceive nurses as more compassionate and caring than physicians, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure physicians hold a higher socioeconomic status than nurses do.

A nurse told me, "I could have been a doctor but I wanted to treat people not diseases".
Next time I hear "I could have been a doctor" I'm going to ask for MCAT score, GPA, and from where they received their acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd just smile, nod, and leave them alone. If you're a physician, you have nothing to prove.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to work as a CNA at a hospital and the surgeons and the charge nurse would get in epic arguments. It was HILARIOUS and frightening at the same time.

The reason RN's have a better image than physicians is most likely multifaceted; however, I think one big reason is a recent cultural change: the US is anti-elitist. Physicians tend to be viewed as "above average" in their professional role and are therefore the natural enemy of the "commoner" who is trying to get by in life.

The majority of people identify with RNs and view physicians with disdain because they conflate them with all the other "rich people/elitists/people with influence/etc." that we're supposed to hate now-a-days.

Bonus points to whoever can identify which political party set up this false paradigm.
Done. /thread.

Last edited:
Important lesson for being a doctor - don't argue with or challenge nurses about crap that doesn't matter. You will NEVER have a good outcome.

I'm assuming you mean in a work environment. Sure, point taken.

Bonus points to whoever can identify which political party set up this false paradigm.
Done. /thread.

Yeah, but they'll just say all they did was point out a real paradigm resulting from the policies of the other party...round and round we go. Red team vs Blue team. Pick your favorite and be a loyal fan!

Honestly, nurses who argue with doctors are usually disliked by other nurses.

Please. Put them in their place.

The difference between a nurse and a doctor? A nurse won't have their car keyed for a license plate that has anything to do with nursing. A doctor will have his car keyed/dinged/banged/lit on fire if they say anything about themselves being a doctor.

The difference between a nurse and a doctor? A nurse won't have their car keyed for a license plate that has anything to do with nursing. A doctor will have his car keyed/dinged/banged/lit on fire if they say anything about themselves being a doctor.

If your license plate has says "doc" or whatever douchey thing...I'm not sympathetic to your misfortunes.

Reactions: 1 user
If your license plate has says "doc" or whatever douchey thing...I'm not sympathetic to your misfortunes.

So if someone that's a nurse had a plate reading "GR8NRSE" or "NRSEPWN" or "FKINNRSE" or "GOD NRSE" or "NURSE" or "IM A NRSE" or whatever ****... you'd think it was okay?

So if someone that's a nurse had a plate reading "GR8NRSE" or "NRSEPWN" or "FKINNRSE" or "GOD NRSE" or "NURSE" or "IM A NRSE" or whatever ****... you'd think it was okay?

Yeah I guess so. It's stupid. But douchiness is our peculiar public relations problem for all the aforementioned reasons. We have lots of douchey a-holes. They have lots of opinionated *****s. We have very different goal posts of public approval. But yeah...death, disease, and mayhem upon anyone with a stupid license plate seems part of the natural order. Or...failing that provides at least, perhaps, the strongest argument against intelligent design that I've seen.

Last edited:
So you're saying I shouldn't get a vanity plate that says "XXXXDO"? My last name and DO fit the 7 characters excellently. Wish I'd have taken a photo of the plate that said: ORNURSE in our garage next to the physician only parking sign. :laugh:

Someone who works in the professional bldg I work in, has a wife who is a nurse.

Her license plate is NURSEMD(he's the MD, she's the nurse)

Well, one morning NURSEMD decided to park in my reserved dr spot.

And then I got her towed. It was fun.

Someone who works in the professional bldg I work in, has a wife who is a nurse.

Her license plate is NURSEMD(he's the MD, she's the nurse)

Well, one morning NURSEMD decided to park in my reserved dr spot.

And then I got her towed. It was fun.

Although this is fitting. And proper. For such crimes against humanity, it begs the question: can one go far enough? If someone was in a position to shoot Hitler the miserable hack painter in his ugly little zealous face what could've been averted? Likewise, therefore, in good conscience, should these 2 be allowed the opportunity to procreate. For the sake of all life on this planet?

Last edited:
I think a lot of people perceive nurses as more compassionate and caring than physicians, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure physicians hold a higher socioeconomic status than nurses do.
The reason RN's have a better image than physicians is most likely multifaceted; however, I think one big reason is a recent cultural change: the US is anti-elitist. Physicians tend to be viewed as "above average" in their professional role and are therefore the natural enemy of the "commoner" who is trying to get by in life.

The majority of people identify with RNs and view physicians with disdain because they conflate them with all the other "rich people/elitists/people with influence/etc." that we're supposed to hate now-a-days.
Yeah, physicians are now often portrayed as uncaring money hungry bastards who are not worth their fees as they hit and run as many patients as possible, while the hard working nurses stay late (ha!) holding patients hands after hours and doing the "real patient care".
I ponder this often while I'm stuck in traffic in the Benz on my way over to the club for a 330 tee time.

Done. /thread.

Physicians are commoners too. Outside of the white coat, scrubs and steth, doctors are regular people. Just like how people can identify with nurses, they can identify with a doctor too!

Yeah, physicians are now often portrayed as uncaring money hungry bastards who are not worth their fees as they hit and run as many patients as possible, while the hard working nurses stay late (ha!) holding patients hands after hours and doing the "real patient care".
I ponder this often while I'm stuck in traffic in the Benz on my way over to the club for a 330 tee time.
I'm glad this isn't the majority. Where I'm in residency there are obviously those who think I should be bending over backwards for them, but the majority of the patients I see are beyond appreciative and I have an easy time establishing rapport with. I wonder if its because I'm FM and it's perceived I talk to the patient "a lot" and am not "fancy." I don't know. I'm just appreciative of the location I'm in. It is so much more down to earth than Philadelphia where I was a student. Like I said, most patients are extremely appreciative, especially if you go the extra mile. I recently called a patient on a Friday night around 7pm or so because I was staying in for the night to discuss results. He works late so it was the only time. You could 1) Tell he was beyond shocked, haha. 2) Could tell he was very appreciative and content that I reached out "outside of business hours."

People aren't allowed to feel good about being doctors?!

Sorry but it's a silly position.

People aren't allowed to feel good about being doctors?!

Sorry but it's a silly position.

It would be a silly position, but since you made it up it's more of a red herring.

It would be a silly position, but since you made it up it's more of a red herring.

You may have missed the post I quoted.

I'm not really into vanity places but if they're a sign of douchiness, let that apply to everyone. :) Let "SOCKRMOM", "LUVMYKIDS", "JEFFNJEN", and so on share some of the shame, LOL!

You may have missed the post I quoted.

I'm not really into vanity places but if they're a sign of douchiness, let that apply to everyone. :) Let "SOCKRMOM", "LUVMYKIDS", "JEFFNJEN", and so on share some of the shame, LOL!

What about a cop who has "OINK"?*

*Happened here in Indiana. Which is why vanity plates are currently suspended... because the BMV thought it was inappropriate so the cop sued. Let that settle in.

In order to spark some discussion over the public perception of physicians vs. nurses, I wanted to share something I recently read online. I will not divulge the individuals name, but I would like to share the Facebook post. To keep things in context, here is the link to the original post by 41 action news in KC MO - http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/nurses-protest-proposed-contract-changes

The article is about nurses pay going down due to recent changes in healthcare legislature, I assume from the Affordable Care Act. The local nurses are part of a union and are currently on strike. In response to the facebook article and a few other comments, here is what one lady had to say:

"Unions started because of deplorable working conditions. Some of those conditions still exist. As with any corrupted organizations, the beginning was a meant to help. I've seen more nurses than doctors in ALL my medical visits. The doctor didn't give me a warm blanket, the nurse did. The doctor didn't clean up my vomit, the nurse did. All you people complaining about other people complaining, STFU. You'll want someone to care for you one day. You want a callous DR. with a God complex or someone who's hands on?"

:eyebrow:

Now, the kicker is she had 12 likes for that comment, while the other 20 odd comments were not "liked" at all.

Is this really the public perception? Do people really believe that physicians are just behind the scenes and that the nurses really run the show? I've heard similar things before and the more times I hear it, the more it makes me cringe.
Next time she needs surgery, let's just give her a warm blanket and sponge bath, since that appears to be all she wants out of her medical care.

What about a cop who has "OINK"?*

*Happened here in Indiana. Which is why vanity plates are currently suspended... because the BMV thought it was inappropriate so the cop sued. Let that settle in.

Funny plates are okay. Someone in New York slipped a true gem through the filters but I really can't post it here but do feel it should have made #2 on the top 100 vanity plates list.