"publication" far from being published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaraBovis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a project that will eventually be published, but right now it's at a nascent stage (analysing data). I have no "other" publications. So, should I leave that section as "none" or somehow mention this project that I'm working on (don't even know which journal we'll be looking at) in that section and specfity what stage it's at, just so that I don't have to enter "none"?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working on a project that will eventually be published, but right now it's at a nascent stage (analysing data). I have no "other" publications. So, should I leave that section as "none" or somehow mention this project that I'm working on (don't even know which journal we'll be looking at) in that section and specfity what stage it's at, just so that I don't have to enter "none"?

Enter "none.". In the experience section, elaborate on your research project in depth.

Analyzing data? How on Earth could that be considered any sort of publication? Many program directors at my school don't consider anything a publication unless they can type your name into PubMed and they get a hit.

Nothing until it's been accepted for publication somewhere.

I believe unless something has been officially "accepted for publication", it cannot be listed under publications. This could, however, be listed under experiences where you can further elaborate on the fact that you are writing a paper on this topic.

You missed the point. The OP said he had just started analyzing data. That's not a pending publication, that's a new research project, regardless of what kind of data is being analyzed.

Yep, completely missed the point there. That'll teach me to post late at night after a mind-numbing day of working on writing my thesis.

Got your respective points guys, and got the answer. Thanks. It's a proud "none" for that section.

I believe unless something has been officially "accepted for publication", it cannot be listed under publications. This could, however, be listed under experiences where you can further elaborate on the fact that you are writing a paper on this topic.

At minimum it has to be "submitted" to appear in the publications section. Otherwise list it in your research experiences section.

At minimum it has to be "submitted" to appear in the publications section. Otherwise list it in your research experiences section.

And PD's are becoming increasingly aware that many people "submit" heaps of garbage right around ERAS time that never comes even close to getting published, which serves no purpose of than to inflate the ERAS numbers and probably piss them off when they ask you for a copy of the submitted manuscript on interview day.