Publications questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartan564

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that more is always better, but could somebody provide some estimates on what an appropriate number of research publications is to be considered a moderately competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that more is always better, but could somebody provide some estimates on what an appropriate number of research publications is to be considered a moderately competitive applicant?
I don't think anyone can say this for sure. I've seen people with like 1 or 2 publications (but had great board scores, top of the class, AOA) and those with many publications (and lacking in other areas on their app). With people doing things that run the entire gamut: review articles, book chapters, case reports, original manuscripts, and/or basic science research, it really runs the whole gamut. The important thing is you need to be able to talk about what you did passionately and effectively.

You also have to consider the nature of the publication. 10 case reports looks prolific but most programs prefer quality over quantity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You also have to consider the nature of the publication. 10 case reports looks prolific but most programs prefer quality over quantity.
Yes, forgot that too. Just bc you worked hard to get 10 case reports done, doesn't mean it will get appreciated on the other side as case reports are the easiest thing to accomplish. You could get 1 case report done over a weekend, honestly.

I have this massive bias against case reports (though I did two). I will say that neither case report ever came up in my interviews because:
(1) you finish them over the weekend
(2) I guess people may read it; it will never get cited

I vow never to do another one again. I think programs that rank candidates based on case reports have an incredibly flawed ranking system. I would argue that having a more longitudinal project that you can talk about at length, have a letter of rec that supports your work (even if unpublished) would serve you better in the interview process.

Many of my co-interviewers earned interviews at all the top places with unpublished work but a strong LOR. My advice are that case reports never really help you. If you have the time to do 3 or 4 in the next 6 or 8 weeks, you should take on something more meaningful.

Reactions: 2 users
I have this massive bias against case reports (though I did two). I will say that neither case report ever came up in my interviews because:
(1) you finish them over the weekend
(2) I guess people may read it; it will never get cited

I vow never to do another one again. I think programs that rank candidates based on case reports have an incredibly flawed ranking system. I would argue that having a more longitudinal project that you can talk about at length, have a letter of rec that supports your work (even if unpublished) would serve you better in the interview process.

Many of my co-interviewers earned interviews at all the top places with unpublished work but a strong LOR. My advice are that case reports never really help you. If you have the time to do 3 or 4 in the next 6 or 8 weeks, you should take on something more meaningful.
Agreed, my program actually looks down upon those with large numbers of case reports for those reasons.

1 or 2 (a particularly interesting case) is ok

Churning out 10 is just filler material and the applicant would have been better served taking on a project with more substance.

(note: this is not universal and there are programs out there that look solely at the number of publications)

Case reports help you create a relationship with an attending. You should follow this up with a review or something that is more substantial. Case reports do serve a purpose and get the initial foot in the door but you have to follow up.

I know we think that programs look at quality over quantity but its just not what I see. If you have a lot of case reports but a lot of other pubs as well, the case reports will be helpful because they will boost your pub count from like 5-6 to like 10 (if you do four case reports as an example). What you should really do is take on something more meaningful and then do a case report if that helps you create a relationship that would otherwise be hard to broach. This is especially helpful on away rotations. Case reports on their own are not so hot. But if used right, they can create positive momentum.

In a landscape where many use cutoffs, many skin the personal statement, and give the rationale that there has to be some way to cull through the pile of applications: you better believe that they are skimming your pubs and just counting. Writing only case reports is not helpful at all but having a few among other publications actually can work well if you are focus on diversified pubs. If you can get your count to 5 it shows commitment, 10 is great, 15 is stellar, 20 is outstanding, and 30+ is just over the top (yes, there are few with that count and they typically interview all over).

Reactions: 1 user
In a landscape where many use cutoffs, many skin the personal statement, and give the rationale that there has to be some way to cull through the pile of applications: you better believe that they are skimming your pubs and just counting. Writing only case reports is not helpful at all but having a few among other publications actually can work well if you are focus on diversified pubs. If you can get your count to 5 it shows commitment, 10 is great, 15 is stellar, 20 is outstanding, and 30+ is just over the top (yes, there are few with that count and they typically interview all over).
I wonder if its also bc they also have the class rank and scores to back it up as well.

Agree DermViser, gotta have the class rank and scores as well to have a stellar application - or a an amazing graduate degree.

Agree DermViser, gotta have the class rank and scores as well to have a stellar application - or a an amazing graduate degree.
Yeah, I think I've seen it all: MD/PhD, MD/JD, MD/MPH, MD/MBA, MD/Masters in Research, etc.

If you can get your count to 5 it shows commitment, 10 is great, 15 is stellar, 20 is outstanding, and 30+ is just over the top (yes, there are few with that count and they typically interview all over).

When you are using these numbers, are you referring to what ERAS counts as "pubs" i.e. posters and presentations as well as papers submitted and accepted, or are you referring to only published/accepted papers?

I am assuming the former as the NRMP data reports something like 9 "pubs" for matched applicants

is it better to publish in a clinical journal like JAAD or JAMA Derm or a basic science journal like JID?

is it better to publish in a clinical journal like JAAD or JAMA Derm or a basic science journal like JID?

It's not that one is better than other because they have different scopes. If you are doing high-quality original basic research, you'll be aiming for JID; if you're doing high quality clinical research, you'll be aiming for JAAD or JAMA Derm. Also, although they are not as high-impact, many people also read Derm Surg and Peds Derm, particularly among people who are sub-specialized in Mohs or pediatric dermatology

Agree with what has been posted. Doing a legit original research project (even if not fully completed at time of interviews) is the most helpful, as long as your PI has a great opinion of you and your efforts and is confident you will finish it. If you can't do that because of the nature of your med school, then do something else (eg. Case reports) to show them that you are 1) interested in doing work and 2) someone who gets **** done.