Publishing patient information on Facebook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pasmal

PGY3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a med student but I also run marketing/PR for a private family office. We are currently running a "giveaway" type promotion on Facebook, and I'd like to know what I can legally publish regarding winner information.

If I have the patient sign a consent form, can I publish a photo of him/her with the prize? What about first and/or last name? Those are all pretty identifying, so I'm not sure where to go with this. Would a signed informed consent form waive all privacy rights or do those override any consent form?

Office is in Illinois if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a med student but I also run marketing/PR for a private family office. We are currently running a "giveaway" type promotion on Facebook, and I'd like to know what I can legally publish regarding winner information.

If I have the patient sign a consent form, can I publish a photo of him/her with the prize? What about first and/or last name? Those are all pretty identifying, so I'm not sure where to go with this. Would a signed informed consent form waive all privacy rights or do those override any consent form?

Office is in Illinois if that helps.

Tread very very very carefully. I don't know what specific steps you would take, but I imagine it would include clearing it with your school, rotation sote, and possibly and attorney. You don't want to fool around with HIPPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Tread very very very carefully. I don't know what specific steps you would take, but I imagine it would include clearing it with your school, rotation sote, and possibly and attorney. You don't want to fool around with HIPPA.

Thanks for the input. My function at the office is not related to the school at all, no overlap, do you think I still have to notify them?

So far I've made a consent form based on a hospital consent form for similar PR disclosures I found online.

It just seems weird to not be able to tell people who won, as most contests do publicize that info, but I understand why it is particularly sensitive in this case. Just don't want to miss out on the chance if there's a way I can do it legally! Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Should also clarify that this is a patient-only giveaway that I'm running through a 3rd party software to validate entries, so 100% guarantee the winner will be a patient.

Yep and it's HIPAA not HIPPA.

Reactions: 1 user