Publix versus Walmart pharmacy salary (FL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runner612

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started as a recently graduated Publix pharmacist. My title is 30-hour floater pharmacist, my salary, which after tax is about $1K per week. It's only been a month and I'm feeling discouraged. Can any one give information for Walmart starting salary? I understand you probably start as a floater, but how are the hours compared to the salary? I don't mind working if I feel I'm getting paid well to tackle this massive student loan debt and enjoy my few days off work.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are they paying you drive time and mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sounds low. You should at least get 2500/2 weeks in retail minimum at 40h/week maxing out 401k.

Walmart normally pays around $2 less than the big 3 standalone chains.

Members don't see this ad :)
Publix doesn't pay well when you compare it to other retail jobs. They should be paying you mileage and overtime after 40hr/week as a floater (1.5x). Only Walmart pays for drive-time and that is going away with the new H2O system. Remember, you lose valuable time commuting to work and I hope they will find a store for you. $1000 per week after taxes is extremely low.

I just started as a recently graduated Publix pharmacist. My title is 30-hour floater pharmacist, but I am working 45-60 hours per week (driving all over the place) and getting my salary, which after tax is about $1K per week. It's only been a month and I'm feeling discouraged. Can any one give information for Walmart starting salary? I understand you probably start as a floater, but how are the hours compared to the salary? I don't mind working if I feel I'm getting paid well to tackle this massive student loan debt and enjoy my few days off work.
Thank you

Are you at full pharmacist pay/licensed or still an intern? I make 1k per week after taxes as a graduate intern right now at half pay.....I don't know how you could possible be only making 1k a week full time. I know Publix pays less in general, but my impression was that full time workers still make in the 110k range.

Are you at full pharmacist pay/licensed or still an intern? I make 1k per week after taxes as a graduate intern right now at half pay.....I don't know how you could possible be only making 1k a week full time. I know Publix pays less in general, but my impression was that full time workers still make in the 110k range.
AFAIK the 40-hour full timers do start off at ~110k. Keep in mind that OP only works 30 hours per week.

AFAIK with the 30-hour floater position, you're guaranteed at least 120 hours/month. If you shoot above 30 hours in one week, they'll usually schedule you less in another week in order to balance things out. However if your district has a need for shifts covered then you can get away with working more. You can't be just getting 1k/week while working 45-60 hours/week unless if you've been making large deductions to your 401k. You had to have been working less the previous week and the pay period would reflect that.

wth does your contract say....give us the numbers and we'll tell you if it's reasonable.

Thank you everyone for chiming in!

Last edited:
My contract is $1,542 per week for 30 hour floater pharmacist. I am significantly over this month in my hours of 120 per month. I have been told they will pay me for gas and something for the overtime at the end of the month (but I didn't think it was 1.5x. I thought it was actually alot less for overtime when salaried here). My 401k contributions haven't even kicked in yet (next week they start). The 1k per week is after taxes.

so your hourly rate is only ~$51? I had no idea Publix salaries were that low

For what it's worth my Walmart market starts staff pharmacists at 58 an hour. Yearly raises, regardless of performance it seems like, are roughly 2% and your bonus is roughly the amount of a regular bi-weekly paycheck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
My contract is $1,542 per week for 30 hour floater pharmacist. I am significantly over this month in my hours of 120 per month. I have been told they will pay me for gas and something for the overtime at the end of the month (but I didn't think it was 1.5x. I thought it was actually alot less for overtime when salaried here). My 401k contributions haven't even kicked in yet (next week they start). The 1k per week is after taxes.

This isn't all that bad considering Publix is a grocery chain? The grocery chains here in NJ pay roughly the same amount...maybe a few bucks more. Yes, you get a little less than walmart but your stress level is much less, especially if you're permanent at 1 store.