Publix vs.Kroger: The dueling pharmacies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squiggles5270

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This questions are for my currently practicing pharmacists that may be familiar with either of the two companies. They both have made the Forbes and Fortune mags lists over periods of time, have high retention of employees, and "comfortable" benefits.My question is, which would you choose of the other and why? I am currently seeking staff pharm employment between both the companies, but I keep getting the run around. There seem to be few positions open for staff pharms as opposed to pharmacy managers...a plight i don't yet want. As much as they are giving me a hard time I am taking it as sign that they may not be all they are hyped up to be, especially since I have yet to talk to an actual person that can follow up with me. Please shed some light if you have experience with either one.

I am seeking employment in the Atlanta metro area, if this info helps

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is the problem with working in a grocery chain: You will always be under the threat of the department closing or reducing hours. As a manager there is a little security if the hours are reduced by closing Sunday, but the lieutenant has to float to get hours.

The goober store managers do not understand pharmacy, resent the department, and will constantly rattle the pharmacy gate like you're animal in a cage, screaming about the payroll.

If you have to void a $50 copay because the customer changed his mind at POS, then store manager screams with customers present :"I PAY YOU TO RING THINGS UP, NOT TAKE THEM OFF"...true story happened to me.

If you're a tech on the phone with a patient, but an assistant store mgr wants your attention but can't wait so he reaches over to grab you by the hair pulling very hard, that other managers have to restrain this guy to stop your screaming... true story that happened at another store.

my store director is the same way...knows nothing about pharmacy, but always threatening to send people home...very unprofessional and lame

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the problem with working in a grocery chain: You will always be under the threat of the department closing or reducing hours. As a manager there is a little security if the hours are reduced by closing Sunday, but the lieutenant has to float to get hours.

The goober store managers do not understand pharmacy, resent the department, and will constantly rattle the pharmacy gate like you're animal in a cage, screaming about the payroll.

If you have to void a $50 copay because the customer changed his mind at POS, then store manager screams with customers present :"I PAY YOU TO RING THINGS UP, NOT TAKE THEM OFF"...true story happened to me.

If you're a tech on the phone with a patient, but an assistant store mgr wants your attention but can't wait so he reaches over to grab you by the hair pulling very hard, that other managers have to restrain this guy to stop your screaming... true story that happened at another store.

its must be your store I work for publix and the managers are the nicest people to me. Also it must be your demeanor. If the managers ever came at me and scream like it will be one of their worst days in their life. Set the tone early so they don't try you like that.

summary: Man up

Last edited:
summary: Man up[/QUOTE]

that's what my wife tells me every night :(

it really depends on the store location and store manager you work with

in the end, retail is retail

but grocery chains tend to have less volume and a little more relaxing environment

of course they will get on you for script count and payroll, but in the end, they know that the majority of their pharmacies will not bring in profit to their stores

kroger has a great computer system.....coming from PDX hahahaha

the pay is generally lower than most retail, but for the amount of "work" i do, i could care less