Pubs In Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CKAW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about listing pubs on a CV that haven't been published yet? I always see "Under Review" or "In Submission" on CVs; is it a stretch to put that on your grad school applications? Even worse......what about "In Preparation"?

These rules are very relevant to me. I could be seen as extremely productive or a slacker this year depending on whether this stuff flies.

Members don't see this ad.

I include in prep and under review, and I think it's fine in the early stage of your career. But make sure that you separate them from accepted articles.

I agree with cara--I would say that in prep and under review are fine when applying to grad school. Generally for internship as well. Once you get to postdoc and actual employment, though, folks tend to stick with in press or published. If in prep/under review are listed at all at that point, they're usually clearly separated from everything else, although I generally prefer instead having an "ongoing research projects" section, or something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal rule:
When applying to predoctoral internship or earlier in your career: in preparation or under review is appropriate as long as they are under separate headings
When applying to post doc or beyond: under review at a journal is okay, but not in preparation/in progress

Good to consider. I'm applying for post-doc now so maybe I'll take out the "in prep" section.

Highly encouraging, thanks a lot everyone.

From what I have seen and been taught, it is an accepted practice to do so. We are submitting a manuscript to NAN (Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology) and I have it listed as "In Preparation." It will move from that section if it is accepted :p.