Puerta rican student interested in going to Med School in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aroliveras

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a student from Puerto Rico interested in going to Med School in US. I'm doing a dual degree in chem and microbiology. My GPA so far is 3.81. I have done 3 (12 credits) years of research in biomedicine and genetics with two different professors. Also, I did a co-op with a pharmaceutical company during a semester. My problem is my english skills, they aren't good. I can read it, write it and understand it but have problem speaking it. I was thinking going to NY (i got family there) to do a Master's degree in Biochem (1 year master) in Pace University. They have a program that you can learn english while doing your master. Do you think this is a good idea? Also do you recommend to take the MCAT when I finished my undergrad, before or after? I would appreciate your respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Very very smart to consider all this now.

To improve your English you could just get a customer service job in NYC or anywhere on the mainland. Prioritize getting surrounded by old cranky white people who like having conversations and won't hesitate to correct you. But the Pace degree is fine, if that's how you put yourself in position to speak boatloads of English and collect boatloads of feedback. Expect to be quite uncomfortable, but I expect it'll be worth it.

Definitely hold off on the MCAT until later. The biochem studies will help. Good MCAT prep involves months, misery and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely hold off on the MCAT until later. The biochem studies will help. Good MCAT prep involves months, misery and money.
You'll want to be very comfortable with English for the MCAT as well. Even with good comprehension, you'll need to read quite quickly and appreciate a lot of unusual subtleties for the Verbal section! (If you're fine with this, then no worries -- you can check out a verbal passage to see what it's like though.)

In general, I'd still agree with holding off on the MCAT until you're just about ready to apply because it doesn't last forever. I think the Master's program sounds okay but if your GPA is fantastic (as it is!) then it might not be needed, particularly if it would cost you a lot of money. Going to NYC could be fun and interesting -- just make sure whatever you do, you have exposure to people who don't speak Spanish, because if they do, they'll all want to practice with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Improving verbal English language skills is essential for interviews and patient care. If you go to NYC, make sure you put yourself in situations where you have to practice English. It is very easy to fall into a community that shares you language. One thing you might consider is being a volunteer English tutor for students acquiring English.

While I know you are concerned with verbal English language skills, make sure you continue to practice and develop your reading comprehension and written English language skills. The MCAT, like all standardized tests, is first and foremost a reading test. Practice university/graduate level reading materials that are from a variety of disciplines (scientific, historical, literary, and even philosophical).

I'm a student from Puerto Rico interested in going to Med School in US. I'm doing a dual degree in chem and microbiology. My GPA so far is 3.81. I have done 3 (12 credits) years of research in biomedicine and genetics with two different professors. Also, I did a co-op with a pharmaceutical company during a semester. My problem is my english skills, they aren't good. I can read it, write it and understand it but have problem speaking it. I was thinking going to NY (i got family there) to do a Master's degree in Biochem (1 year master) in Pace University. They have a program that you can learn english while doing your master. Do you think this is a good idea? Also do you recommend to take the MCAT when I finished my undergrad, before or after? I would appreciate your respond.