Puerto Rico Vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Descendent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a puerto rican living in Puerto Rico with a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA and aiming for a 28-30 MCAT equivalent (taking the new mcat). Also, I have good EC's. I know I have good chances in Ponce, UCC, and SJB. What would be the wisest choice for me?

Staying here?
Aiming for a DO school?

Do I stand a chance in any mainland MD schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a puerto rican living in Puerto Rico with a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA and aiming for a 28-30 MCAT equivalent (taking the new mcat). Also, I have good EC's. I know I have good chances in Ponce, UCC, and SJB. What would be the wisest choice for me?

Staying here?
Aiming for a DO school?

Thanks!

Depends on your feelings toward osteopathy and what is a better fit for you. Are you OK with classes in Spanish? I personally think the training at many do schools will be superior but hey that's my opinion. You might have better opportunities coming out of Puerto Rico.

As far as other allo that depends on your MCAT obviously.

You'll have to do your homework to see if PuertoRiquenos are considered as URM. It might vary from state to state or school-to-school.

If you're not considered a URM, the low sGPA will hurt you for both MD and some DO schools. The PR schools will gladly take you. How is your Spanish?

Staying here?
Aiming for a DO school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your feelings toward osteopathy and what is a better fit for you. Are you OK with classes in Spanish? I personally think the training at many do schools will be superior but hey that's my opinion. You might have better opportunities coming out of Puerto Rico.

As far as other allo that depends on your MCAT obviously.

You'll have to do your homework to see if PuertoRiquenos are considered as URM. It might vary from state to state or school-to-school.

If you're not considered a URM, the low sGPA will hurt you for both MD and some DO schools. The PR schools will gladly take you. How is your Spanish?

I'm pretty sure I am considered a URM, I have even participated in some URM programs and internships. Also, my spanish is first language so yeah, I'm ok with spanish classes.

If you are from PR staying there makes a lot of sense. Further advice will depend on your MCAT score.
Thank you for the input!

Depends on your goals as has been mentioned. But then again, I think generally speaking US MD> DO every day, and PR schools are all US MD.