General Admissions & OTCAS PUGET 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miini

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! Who applied to puget this year? Does anyone know when they usually mail out responses or is it sent out by email?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied, but only received an email that everything was turned in. Do we hear in March?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the sound of that. I honestly stalk the mailman. Waiting for any letters to come in.

Me too! Since this is my 2nd year applying. Past year has been a ton of work, so I'm really anticipating something good!

just want to know already!! early february seems so far away lol

I just heard UPS hopes to have decisions out mid to late march. So maybe it'll be a bit later than February? Sorry to spoil everyone's hopes! Just sharing what I was told! Good luck!

Bummer. I was hoping to hear back sooner. Last year people heard back feb 15ish - that's what I got from reading these forums anyway. Oh well, what's another month, right? :)

True also technically everyone might not find out at exactly the same time ya know? Maybe they'll begin late fen through March?

I also applied and am waiting to hear back! I get so nervous every time I think about it. I hope we do hear back around Feb 15 like most of the people did last year on this forum

The sooner the better. I would like just one letter. Seriously, a rejection at this time would be better than nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if anyone has contacted admissions to get a shorter window (or if received a letter). I look at last years forum and some people found out by Feb 18th. I feel like I want to follow up, but if anyone has any information.

No info here yet. Follow up!! And let us know :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone- Here is the email I just got. Soon.!.

Rusty Horton asked me to answer your question regarding when you will hear about our admissions decisions. We are making our decisions during the 2nd and 3rd week of February and you will hear by the end of the 3rd week at the latest.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions
Yvonne

I think they take about 30-35. I just heard via phone call that I got accepted, and I should receive an official letter in about 10 days. Just thought I'd let everyone know that they're starting to notify us!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I received a phone call and was accepted! I will also be accepting as UPS was my top choice. I am so excited to start this fall! I wish everyone the best of luck!

Me neither :/ I've already accepted another program so doesn't make much difference to me except pride.

I just got a call!!! Can't believe it!! My top choice. I'm in!! I thought they made all their calls a couple days ago...

i just got a phone call too!!!!!!! i'm in, so excited. i also thought they made all their calls a couple days ago. seriously, so happy.

I found out last week that I got in was well, very exciting! People who are going to Puget Sound/have gone there, I was wondering if you could comment on your experience there or why you chose it? Do you know what the reputation is like around Seattle, especially with so many great ot schools in the area? I'm from the east coast so I don't feel as educated! Thanks so much!

I found out last week that I got in was well, very exciting! People who are going to Puget Sound/have gone there, I was wondering if you could comment on your experience there or why you chose it? Do you know what the reputation is like around Seattle, especially with so many great ot schools in the area? I'm from the east coast so I don't feel as educated! Thanks so much!

I have never actually attended UPS, but I chose to apply (and I will be accepting my offer to attend) because they have an on-site clinic and the students get to work with actual patients with the guidance of the faculty in addition to the fieldwork experiences. They also have state-of-the-art equipment. While the University of Washington is known to have a strong program as well, I decided not to apply there because I am so impressed with what I have seen and heard about UPS. When I first decided to become an OT, I never considered going to UPS because of the cost, but it doesn't bother me anymore because I know that I am going to receive a solid education. Tacoma is not a super ideal place to live, in my opinion. However, the campus is really beautiful and if you do some research, I am sure that you can find a nice and safe place to live. I hope that helps and congratulations on your acceptance!

I'm not sure if I'll be accepting, I'll hold my spot for sure but I'm still waiting to hear from Eastern Washington and University of Washington. I like UPS better in many ways but EWU and UW are more affordable since I'm in-state.

I'll post on here what I decide in case anyone gets wait listed :)

I have never actually attended UPS, but I chose to apply (and I will be accepting my offer to attend) because they have an on-site clinic and the students get to work with actual patients with the guidance of the faculty in addition to the fieldwork experiences. They also have state-of-the-art equipment. While the University of Washington is known to have a strong program as well, I decided not to apply there because I am so impressed with what I have seen and heard about UPS. When I first decided to become an OT, I never considered going to UPS because of the cost, but it doesn't bother me anymore because I know that I am going to receive a solid education. Tacoma is not a super ideal place to live, in my opinion. However, the campus is really beautiful and if you do some research, I am sure that you can find a nice and safe place to live. I hope that helps and congratulations on your acceptance!

Thanks for your perspective, and congrats as well and to everyone else! I chose to apply to the program because of the clinic as well, it is really unique. I am choosing between Puget and UW-Madison (local for me), I am so torn!

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten accepted! I heard that it was a super competitive pool this year so you should be really proud of yourselves!!

I am currently in my second year at UPS and have gotten a few e-mails from a few of y'all so I thought I'd write one post here and answer some questions. (I'm really supposed to be writing treatment plans right now but I need a break and this is WAY more fun!)

When I was in y'alls shoes two years ago I was scared of the cost and part of me was hoping to get into a "better" school. Now that I'm on this side, I know that UPS was the perfect match for me. I was not strong in anatomy (I got B's in my prereqs and struggled through the grad level course) and because I was at such a small school, I was able to receive the individualized attention from my professor that I needed to get through. I'm afraid if I had gone to a bigger school I would have gotten lost in the shuffle or maybe the professors would not have known that there was a problem until too late.

I am currently working in the on-site clinic and I can honestly say that it is an amazing experience. We have clients who are truly in need of OT services but for some reason or another, cannot receive them any where else. I can't explain how awesome it is to know that I am making a difference in someone's life, even as a student! I am confident that this experience is going to more than prepare me for my fieldwork this summer.

My living situation is a little different because I am living with family that is nearby but many of my classmates have mentioned that they like that the cost of living in Tacoma is significantly cheaper than Seattle or other big cities where they were applying to OT schools.

So, those are some of the main reasons that I love UPS. It's a great little community and I can't wait to get out in the world and start practicing as a UPS alum. If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to message me, just know that it might take me a while to get back to you.

Congrats again to all of you who were accepted to the UPS Class of '16!! I can honestly say if I had to apply with y'alls class, I don't know if I would have gotten in!!!!

I also found out last Saturday that I was accepted! I applied to UPS, UW, and USC and have only heard back from UPS so far. I am wondering if someone would be able to answer my question about the deposit. UW won't be notifying people until about mid-March but the deposit for UPS is due on March 7th, anyone know if we can request an extension to hold our spot? Or is the deposit due date firm? I wanted to wait until I heard back from UW to make a final decision...

I also found out last Saturday that I was accepted! I applied to UPS, UW, and USC and have only heard back from UPS so far. I am wondering if someone would be able to answer my question about the deposit. UW won't be notifying people until about mid-March but the deposit for UPS is due on March 7th, anyone know if we can request an extension to hold our spot? Or is the deposit due date firm? I wanted to wait until I heard back from UW to make a final decision...
Congrats! I got an acceptance call Saturday too! UPS looks amazing but I have one other school that I'm waiting to hear from that may, or may not, beat out UPS if I get in. My understanding of how this works ( I could be wrong, so double check) is that you need to pay the deposit if you want a spot held. If you then change your mind you can call UPS and let them know you won't be attending, but you will lose the deposit. If you do change your mind after giving the deposit make sure you let UPS know as soon as possible so they can give your spot to someone on the waitlist.

Has anyone in WA State received notification of acceptance yet?

When did your turn your app in?
I live in WA state and I received my acceptance on 2/13 as well. I submitted my OTCAS application around December 1st and other materials close to the deadline. I just received my acceptance letter yesterday.

i don't actually know for sure so take this with a grain of salt but i'm assuming they have most of their first round of acceptances out. they have an early deadline to make your deposit and hold your spot - March 7 - so i'm guessing once they get declined spots at that time they will send out another round of acceptances.

i don't actually know for sure so take this with a grain of salt but i'm assuming they have most of their first round of acceptances out. they have an early deadline to make your deposit and hold your spot - March 7 - so i'm guessing once they get declined spots at that time they will send out another round of acceptances.

I hope so! Getting a bit anxious..

the world is large and rejection is a part of life...you shouldn't let a decline from a school you have no intention of attending hurt your pride. :) it's all about perspective. does it really matter if you already got in to where you want to go? i would say no. i would say you've most definitely won where you needed to!

Me neither :/ I've already accepted another program so doesn't make much difference to me except pride.

Hey Guys!
I do not know about you guys but I received my letter today that I was placed on the alternate list. It gave me a card to update all my information to make sure it is accurate and if a spot becomes available they will contact me and I will have 24 hours to accept my spot or they will start going down the list of applicants!

Same here I received my alternate list notification in the mail too

just put my deposit down. :)
for those who are attending, do you know if the program has any way we can connect and find roommates?

Same here I received my alternate list notification in the mail too

I want to encourage the individuals that are on the waitlist...

I was accepted into the program, but I asked for an extension on the "intent to enroll" deposit (as I wait to hear from other programs). They allowed me till March 24th... It appeared that others had asked for a similar extension. So there might still be spots available after that date!

So I ended up accepting my position... UPS was the better choice for me.
Has anyone received info on scholarships? Or did I miss the deadline with that?

Lovelytothemax, I think that you made a great choice!

As far as scholarships go, I am pretty sure that we would have already received information about them. As I recall, they only give out a few scholarships and I think the students who wrote the best supplemental essays get them (but don't quote me on that). Here is the scholarship page:

http://www.pugetsound.edu/admission...ccupational-therapy/fellowships-scholarships/

Under fellowship scholarships it says, "These fellowships are offered at the point of admission and recipients are notified along with their letter of acceptance to the program."

I would still apply for this scholarship or any other private ones that you can find and are qualified for:

http://www.ambucs.org/scholars/

Hope that helps!

To those of you who have been accepted to UPS - have you had any other communication with the school? After being accepted and confirming my spot the only communication I have had is my financial aid award. Has anyone heard anything else?

To those of you who have been accepted to UPS - have you had any other communication with the school? After being accepted and confirming my spot the only communication I have had is my financial aid award. Has anyone heard anything else?

I have not had any other communication with the school besides in regards to financial aid either. I was concerned about that, but I have been reassuring myself that we likely will not hear anything (or need to do anything) until early May when we apply for our Direct PLUS grad school loans. I am curious to find out what others have to say. Basically, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! :)

Basically, that is exactly what I needed to hear so thank you!

Do you happen to know anything about what our class schedule will look like? I looked at the schedule for Fall of 2012 but I don't know how much it changes from year to year....