Pulmonary/Critical Care 2010-2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
<14.5hrs left, and asked to cover VA call tomorrow...unless there's a code going on, or something crazy, all will stop for ten mins from 1155 to 1205 EST. :smuggrin:

I was rounding in the CCU. The attending stopped rounds and brought us all to the copmputer and made me log on in front of everyone. I'm glad it went well :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my second choice... very happy w/ the results... hope all did well.

Pulmonary Disease Program Statistics
Number % Enrolled Programs11
Withdrawn Programs0
Certified Programs11
Programs Filled10 91%
Programs Unfilled1 9%
Certified Positions19
Positions Filled18 95%
Positions Unfilled1 5%
Applicant Statistics Number %
Matched Applicants18
US Foreign 2 11%
Osteopathic 1 6%
Foreign 15 83%
Matched Applicants (By Preferred Specialty)11 61%
Unmatched Applicants (By Preferred Specialty)13 50%

Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Program Statistics
Number % Enrolled Programs128
Withdrawn Programs1
Certified Programs127
Programs Filled118 93%
Programs Unfilled9 7%
Certified Positions435
Positions Filled423 97%
Positions Unfilled12 3%
Applicant Statistics Number %
Matched Applicants423
US Grad 208 49%
US Foreign 49 12%
Osteopathic 23 5%
Foreign 141 33%
Canadian 2 0%
Matched Applicants (By Preferred Specialty)418 99%
Unmatched Applicants (By Preferred Specialty)144 25%

Last edited:
Matched at my first choice. Congrats to everyone.

CONGRATS everyone! Hopefully everyone is :D with their match!

This forum has helped me throughout the process so hopefully my contribution can provide some insight for future applicants.

Harbor UCLA
Straight up county hospital. Be prepared to go through metal detectors daily. Definitely great pathology especially TB given majority of patients lack primary care. Fellows seem very happy as it is somewhat of a cushy program. 30 months clinical, 6 months research. MICU is 8 beds, but basically crammed into one room. Call is from home. Pulm seems standard. Rumor has it that a returning fellow is setting up an interventional bronch course. Also procedure exposure at Kaiser. Faculty are supportive, laid back. Torrance isn’t the greatest area, but there are some nicer areas to live, but obviously $$$$.

Banner Good Samaritan/Phoenix VA
Community program. Commute between two main hospitals: BGS and VA. Both very up to date. VA has a new MICU. Great pathology. Everyone has cocci. 30 months clinical, 6 months research. Interview day is somewhat unorganized. You get worked your first year, but improves. Overall, fellows and faculty very nice and laid back. Home call. BGS is right next door to Pulm clinic which is bread and butter. Plenty of procedures especially at VA. Transplant at another community hospital. Obviously big city. Dry heat. Most fellows live outside of PHX.

UC Davis
Balanced program with 18 & 18. Very nice hospital. Also rotate through VA. Great research opportunities. Fellows are very nice. Laid back atmosphere. Supportive faculty. Busy first year but obviously much better afterwards. Home call. Pulm exposure to variety of sub-specialities (e.g. sarcoid, PHTN...). Procedure heavy. No transplant. Sacramento is more rural. Typical CA climate. Nearby college town at Davis.

UCSF-Fresno
Newer program. Just graduated inaugural class. 18 & 18. Only met with one fellow who was nice and again super laid back. Unfortunately this may not be case with some faculty. Community hospital with new expansion. Also rotate through VA. Home call. Not as many procedures. No EBUS. Transplant is at UCSF. Standard Pulm. Fresno commute is much better than your typical CA traffic. City isn’t too bad, but again not the nicest.

I have gained a lot of help from people on here, so I thought I'd post my thoughts about the programs I interviewed at, as well. I don't remember all the details, but I remember the overall feel I had on the day of interview. The key thing is, take my thoughts (and others' thoughts/advice) with a grain of salt... Find the program that's a good fit for you.

Mayo Jacksonville-
Overall, solid program. I think I would have been very happy to match here. The clinical experience is phenomenal; they do lung transplants, and they are strong with IB. The attendings seemed very nice, although the PD appeared a bit uptight. The fellows were happy overall, and they mentioned how the name will carry you far. Jacksonville was an awesome city despite what I'd heard from other people. The cost of living is very reasonable. Other strengths: moonlighting, sleep fellowship. Weakness: Basic science research. They will tell you this right off the bat. Also, I think anesthesia will usually intubate with codes.

Indiana-
Excellent program. You rotate through a county hospital, VA, uni hospital, and a private hospital. You can't beat the clinical experience here. Some attendings are super young and upbeat. Solid IB with a big name here. Strengths: moonlighting, sleep, diversity of experience, research (clinical and basic sci), awesome associate PD. Weakness: for someone from the west coast, Indianapolis might not be the best city to live in, but it's not bad either. Plus at the VA, anesthesia intubates.

Baylor-
HANDS DOWN, this program SUCKS. Although your clinical training and research opportunities would be decent, the people were dry, fellows seemed unfriendly and unhappy and aloof. The chairman about fell asleep during my interview and the day was extremely unorganized, which doesn't speak highly of any program. I thought about ranking this program last, but decided not to rank them at all. I wonder if they even filled this year.

Creighton-
Holy s&*&, this program was AWESOME. The PD is solid, chariman sweet. I don't think I could be happier at any other program. Their IB experience is up and coming, fellows seemed very happy. Location was actually better than I'd expected, although it was unseasonably warm that day. Hospital seemed very nice and well maintained. By far, the least malignant program I visited. Weakness: no sleep although they're working on it; EBUS up and coming.

Brown-
Not too impressed by this program, overall. The most likely reason I was unimpressed was by the fellow who gave us the tour. He was a second year, who repeatedly put down the residents with whom he worked (bad move, dude). Research opportunities are strong, IB decent. The PD seemed nice but let me say about 2-3 words during our interview. You only interview with two people, which seemed strange. Overall, I went out there because I thought Providence would be a cool city, and I thought "well it's BROWN, so I should check it out." Far from the truth, the city was ordinary. I was told by multiple cab drivers how the politicians there are corrupt. The hospital, just ok. This could be a good program for someone interested in an academic career, but for someone who is interested in PP, this program was subpar.

Maine MC-
Good program, nice people. Strengths: fellows were happy, staff friendly. Weakness: EBUS, no sleep?, other IB, cold city, and they only take one fellow per year. Also, one of the attendings told me directly that if I like autonomy, this might not be the best program. Strange comment to hear. I think if you're from the northeast, this would be a good program to attend.

UC Davis-
Seemed like a pretty good program. Up and coming IB. The PD seemed a bit strange, nice but strange. One of the attendings with a British accent, he was a bit arrogant, which was a turn off. Solid research experience here. Other strengths: the city is awesome, fellows were very, very happy. Weakness: first year, you work like a dog! Not something I want to do necessarily.

University of Cincinnati-
Solid program. I had a very, very positive feeling at this program. I think this program will set you up very well for PP, but you could even do academics if that's your desire. The people were friendly; the faculty seemed very nice. Overall, I think I would've thrived at this program. Also, they have a night float system, which is great. Weakness: they may start an IB sub-fellowship, which could take away from one's IB experience as a fellow. City might not be as favorable for someone not from the midwest. Also one of the fellows at lunch didn't have the nicest things to say about the PD. I guess the PD had asked this fellow to set up the schedule, which he did, but the PD asked him to do it again. Vacations I think need to be taken in blocks. I got the sense that the PD was a bit too hands on and liked making decisions on his own. Kinda old school...

Hi Guys, any feedback on Loyola University, how solid is the program?
does it offer a good clinical experience.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Creighton-
Holy s&*&, this program was AWESOME. The PD is solid, chariman sweet. I don't think I could be happier at any other program. Their IB experience is up and coming, fellows seemed very happy. Location was actually better than I'd expected, although it was unseasonably warm that day. Hospital seemed very nice and well maintained. By far, the least malignant program I visited. Weakness: no sleep although they're working on it; EBUS up and coming.

:thumbup:

Added a fellow for this years match, and signed an extra to start with this years first year fellow class. So in two years there will be 9 fellows to spread the call around which = more sleep. Creighton is fairly resident driven, and every service will have a resident doing the documentation, with the fellow paying attention to the pertinent clinical aspects and procedures. PD is THE tits - well known in the HAP/VAP community - and he's got plenty of clinical research ideas for anyone who wants to put in some time in their electives. Division Chief might be the best clinician I've ever worked with and a helluva nice guy on top of it. While not the program for everyone, especially those wanting to do basic science research, it's a sweet place to do a fellowship overall. Hope you were one of this year's matches.

Hi Guys, any feedback on Loyola University, how solid is the program?
does it offer a good clinical experience.
thanks

I posted a review of it in last years Pulm/CC thread. I thought it was solid/good. PD was a nice guy. The fellows really laid back. THE Tobin lives and teaches there. They've got transplant (I think the only Chicago program with transplant, at least they were last year). Strong sleep, with thought of starting fellowship. No real basic science research.

I had them ranked at the upper end of my list.

Nice hospital and location too, but then I'm not a super-urban city center kind of a guy :D

thanks jdh71, can you please rank the following programs, and why?
1- Loyola, Chicago
2- University of Michigan
3- Henry Ford
4- UT Houston
5-Baylor, Houston.
thanks

thanks jdh71, can you please rank the following programs, and why?
1- Loyola, Chicago
2- University of Michigan
3- Henry Ford
4- UT Houston
5-Baylor, Houston.
thanks

Depends on what you want to do

But michigan is definitely the best program on that list, Baylor might be next if you want to do a lot of research. Loyal is probably next. Henry Ford is a clinically busy program next. Probably Houston last.

Congrats to everyone who matched. So was Pulm/CC kind to IMGs this season? Getting more competitive?

Just beginning my residency at a small community hospital, osteopathic program. I'm wondering what I need to do to maximize my chances besides the obvious, boards and research. How difficult is obtaining a spot as an osteopath? Being honest with myself, I'm probably already behind the curve as an osteopath, but I love the field. If I don't get it, I'll probably work hospitalist for a year or two and reapply. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just beginning my residency at a small community hospital, osteopathic program. I'm wondering what I need to do to maximize my chances besides the obvious, boards and research. How difficult is obtaining a spot as an osteopath? Being honest with myself, I'm probably already behind the curve as an osteopath, but I love the field. If I don't get it, I'll probably work hospitalist for a year or two and reapply. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Speaking from experience It is not being an osteopath that could hold you back. The osteopathic residency may though. If you are not at a dually accredited AOA/ACGME residency program then you won't be able to sit for the ABIMs and then won't be able to get into and ACGME fellowship. You need to look into this. You can go to DO fellowships but they are few and far between. Good luck and kick butt on boards and maybe try to get a chief resident spot or do some research.

Speaking from experience It is not being an osteopath that could hold you back. The osteopathic residency may though. If you are not at a dually accredited AOA/ACGME residency program then you won't be able to sit for the ABIMs and then won't be able to get into and ACGME fellowship. You need to look into this. You can go to DO fellowships but they are few and far between. Good luck and kick butt on boards and maybe try to get a chief resident spot or do some research.

again, not true. those who go this route van not sit for the ABIM boards but can sit for the ACOI boards, ABIM fellowships are allowed to take up tp 25% of their fellows (averaged over 5 years) from non-acgme IM programs. it can be done, I'm in fellowship via this route and I know at least 2 other pulm-cc who've gone this route, 1 GI, and many rheum, endo, etc.

again, not true. those who go this route van not sit for the ABIM boards but can sit for the ACOI boards, ABIM fellowships are allowed to take up tp 25% of their fellows (averaged over 5 years) from non-acgme IM programs. it can be done, I'm in fellowship via this route and I know at least 2 other pulm-cc who've gone this route, 1 GI, and many rheum, endo, etc.

Sorry I stand corrected. I guess I was told incorrect information too. Thanks for clarifying the situation!
VJWDO

So after officially being a fellow for the last 2 months just curious how things are going with the rest of you? I m getting owned on a regular basis. Feel like the transformer getting kicked in the balls on jdh71's other posts. Curious if any one feels the same. I still recommend not preparing for fellowship. I am glad I chilled and did not try to learn anything prior to coming. They would have re-brainwashed me anyway!
VJWDO

So after officially being a fellow for the last 2 months just curious how things are going with the rest of you? I m getting owned on a regular basis. Feel like the transformer getting kicked in the balls on jdh71's other posts. Curious if any one feels the same. I still recommend not preparing for fellowship. I am glad I chilled and did not try to learn anything prior to coming. They would have re-brainwashed me anyway!
VJWDO

It's not been too bad. I'm working intern hours, but this is what I signed up for - at least I don't have to do too much in the way of notes and documentation outside of procedures on most rotations. Luckily my critical care background was pretty strong, and I've been able to absorb the nuances and styles of different attendings (and I've been forming my own opinions! :laugh:) I'm seeing some REALLY cool pulm, much more interesting than my old shop, which is good because I prefer the pulm right now to the crit care anyway (not that I don't like both). Bronch skills are getting much better - my first attempt must have been comical, though for me it was mostly frustrating :D. Staff has been really nice so far. I like my role, and feel pretty lucky. MOST days, I like getting up and going to work.

staying about the same

it's about 50% IMG/FMG

Just out of curiosity as I am thinking about 4 years ahead of myself... is an IMG who does a US residency, say, at a community/county or mid-tier University Program considered an IMG still or an AMG for the purpose of Fellowship placement?

Just out of curiosity as I am thinking about 4 years ahead of myself... is an IMG who does a US residency, say, at a community/county or mid-tier University Program considered an IMG still or an AMG for the purpose of Fellowship placement?

still considered IMG

Hi all, I am an intern at a community-affiliated university program (MSU/KCMS) interested in going into probably pulm/CC fellowship.

I am an AMG and went to SUNY Buffalo for med school. 95/99 and haven't taken Step 3 yet. I haven't got any published research yet but that shouldn't be an issue by the time I apply - I've got 1-2 projects in the works and the 2nd is almost done.

I have very close ties to Kalamazoo Michigan and fell in love with the area, and absolutely love my residency program here. I am trying to stay as close to the area as possible due to family commitments while still applying to great programs, and I'm trying to figure out what program to do my away rotation at next year to get LOR and experience.

I'm thinking Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford, or U of M. U of Michigan is the closest for me but I haven't seen much here posted about it. U of M is obviously a very prestigious program, but I'm wondering if the fact I go to community-affiliated program versus a university program will count against me substantially and if I should concentrate my efforts elsewhere? (It is hard for me cuz I am trying to balance the needs of my family as well.)

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all, I am an intern at a community-affiliated university program (MSU/KCMS) interested in going into probably pulm/CC fellowship.

I am an AMG and went to SUNY Buffalo for med school. 95/99 and haven't taken Step 3 yet. I haven't got any published research yet but that shouldn't be an issue by the time I apply - I've got 1-2 projects in the works and the 2nd is almost done.

I have very close ties to Kalamazoo Michigan and fell in love with the area, and absolutely love my residency program here. I am trying to stay as close to the area as possible due to family commitments while still applying to great programs, and I'm trying to figure out what program to do my away rotation at next year to get LOR and experience.

I'm thinking Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford, or U of M. U of Michigan is the closest for me but I haven't seen much here posted about it. U of M is obviously a very prestigious program, but I'm wondering if the fact I go to community-affiliated program versus a university program will count against me substantially and if I should concentrate my efforts elsewhere? (It is hard for me cuz I am trying to balance the needs of my family as well.)

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

How interested in research and academics are you?

I'm definitely interested in academics in the long term... I am pretty interested in research but haven't done a lot yet unfortunately.

I'm definitely interested in academics in the long term... I am pretty interested in research but haven't done a lot yet unfortunately.

Michigan is a research powerhouse, so getting there from a community program is probably a non-starter, just being honest, unless you get something published or demonstrate the ability to get research abstracts (not cases) at a national meeting(s). The same more or less for Mayo.

The rest you should be fine for. Though if you're willing to go as far west as the "world famous Mayo clinic" (hereafter referred to as TWFMC) or as far east as Cleveland, don't miss out on the Chicago programs or the rest of the Ohio programs.

Thanks for the advice. One of the people in my program who is an IMG got into Mayo for ID so that's why I had kept in in my list so far. Not sure if this makes a huge difference but my program is university-affiliated community and they are working on their own med school (Western Michigan) so soon to be university-affiliated.

I had been considering maybe focusing my efforts on Chicago as it is pretty close to this area as well. Any programs in particular you would recommend?

I had been considering maybe focusing my efforts on Chicago as it is pretty close to this area as well. Any programs in particular you would recommend?

UIC, Loyola, and Rush

Though it's not going to cost you a lot more to send apps to everyone, so you might as well.

Does Loyola still have the guy who is the guru in vents named Tobin? He is the guy who pretty much defined present day vent management, wasn't he?

Does Loyola still have the guy who is the guru in vents named Tobin? He is the guy who pretty much defined present day vent management, wasn't he?

Yes.

He still attends the ICU and you have the chance to do physiology research with him if you go there.