Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Add Vermont to the list
It will be really helpful if you can post your credentials with the places you got interviews from...
I am also applying this year, on J1, Got interview from vermont. No rejections yet.
I dont have my step 3 yet! Is that going to be significantly negative?
I had another qs. Can I apply to the same program in both PCCM and CCM?

Last edited:
hi,

new to the forum! IMG, residency in univ prog, scores in 90s, 2 poster presentation, PI in an ongoing research. applied to many programs....

just 2 notifications so far-- notice of appln received from Hopkins & rejection from USC saying they dont consider H1bs (i still dont understand if somebody has applied, why they cant review the appln & then dump!! 25$ wasted even if sb is ready to compromise on visa)... i guess most of the prog have downloaded the appln & must be around reviewing phase- should send invites early this yr i believe!!

anyways, i was looking for PCCM prog with strong clinical background & some research going on as well (Not a total research person, but want to stay in academic institution).. i know there are lists of CC programs, but academic combined PCCM wise- good clinical oriented prog with ongoing research- any inputs, please!!:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
does any one know if U of Washington, cook county, norwalk/ bridgeport, creighton, henryford, mayo clinic- arizona have started dowloading the applications?

U of wash has not downloaded yet. Hope that helps.

I got an interview at University of Rochester yesterday. It got me pretty stoked, then nervous that I haven't heard from other places yet, and thats why I am on the forum. Looks like others haven't heard much yet. The interview times offered were end of september to early October. Also, I only applied to 12 places, which some people told me was too man.

Nate

No message at all !! Blank. I didn't even receive the notification from Hopkins telling that appication has been received .Did everyone who applied to Hopkins received the email ?is that only me or there's someone else who have not received anything .Pls give input .
Really worried- is there something wrong with the application ?Thanks

Hi everyone,
How many programs sponsor H1B for a combined fellowship of PCCM?

sometimes programs just send a mass email on receiving the appication. they may miss sending some, so dont worry.
Just sit tight and wait for the interviews to trickle in.
Even if your application has any mistake, u cannot do anything about it once its finalaized.

I think about 30 programs
Did you receive any interview/rejections?

Probably around 55-56 to be exact i know i dug through the websites
2 so far Cleveland Clinic/Winthrop
no rejections but I'm sure they'll be pouring in soon
good luck to all.

Has anyone heard from Roger Williams in RI. Anyone knows how the program is?

tufts- first iv!!

total h1 programs are around 40-50 in total..
i think its still early for getting tensed re acceptance or rejections!! i believe the main email flow is gonna come in a the coming few days!!

tufts- first iv!!

total h1 programs are around 40-50 in total..
i think its still early for getting tensed re acceptance or rejections!! i believe the main email flow is gonna come in a the coming few days!!

Can you post a list of H1 programs because I had
Only -15 when I searched. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably around 55-56 to be exact i know i dug through the websites
2 so far Cleveland Clinic/Winthrop
no rejections but I'm sure they'll be pouring in soon
good luck to all.
Congratulations.Thanks for the information.Are these both pulmonary & critical care or just critical care?And when did you apply to these programs.I applied on 20th - was that too late to apply?

Pulm/Crit for both. 20th is not late at all they keeo reviewing till end of august sometimes much later. My PD letter was not up until 24th. Dont worry, have patience.

List of places so far mentioned here about interviews:

Vandy
Winthrop
Cleveland
BU
University of Rochester
Brigham
Vermont

Please add and update the list.

Rejection from was uni

guys i have a few question

1. how do i post without having to quote somebody else. I dont see a way to do that.

2. Do BU/Brigham even entertain FMGs? Their website doesnt have a list of prior fellows, and they sound like bigshots that wouldnt call FMGs, so I didnt apply. Any insight?

BTW, applied to 50 programs, no iv so far. no rejection. (FMG; 99/99/99, PR, 1 chapter publication, 1 poster, uni based community program)

1. how do i post without having to quote somebody else. I dont see a way to do that.
)

You can't see all of the big "REPLY" buttons all over the page? Really?

In fact, every single post has a big blue "REPLY" button right there at the bottom. And every thread has another big orange "POST REPLY" button on the bottom of the page.

2. Do BU/Brigham even entertain FMGs? Their website doesnt have a list of prior fellows, and they sound like bigshots that wouldnt call FMGs, so I didnt apply. Any insight?

BTW, applied to 50 programs, no iv so far. no rejection. (FMG; 99/99/99, PR, 1 chapter publication, 1 poster, uni based community program)

BU? Maybe.

Brigham? No.

The 99's are par for the course for many FMGs. The biggest issue is that programs have problems funding the salaries of people who are not citizens or permanent residents. Were you planning on doing two to two and half years of research in fellowship?

Did cleveland clinic started calling ...I saw someon posting Interview from CCF-are u internal candidate??

Did cleveland clinic started calling ...I saw someon posting Interview from CCF-are u internal candidate??

This question should be asked to every person who has posted an interview on here so far :). Seems very early for a lot of these interviews.

Last edited:
How many LOR is necessary?I just uploaded 3 .Will that be ok or some programs they want alt least 4 .Please ADVICE.

well whenever i reply to sb's message, it quotes their message with it, when my message has got nothing to do with their's. I finally did realise that i can use the 'post reply' option at the bottom. thanks for pointing it out.

BU? Maybe.

Brigham? No.

The 99's are par for the course for many FMGs. The biggest issue is that programs have problems funding the salaries of people who are not citizens or permanent residents. Were you planning on doing two to two and half years of research in fellowship?

I didnt understand why you were asking if i am planning to do two years of research? I thought 18 mths was the highest amount of research that is allowed by ACGME.

UPMC for sure wants 4 letters, including one from the program director or the chairman.

most require 3, and if you send 4, they may toss out one of your better letters; go on their website to see how much they require

I didnt understand why you were asking if i am planning to do two years of research? I thought 18 mths was the highest amount of research that is allowed by ACGME.

Because more research heavy places will pay your salary with a training grant from NIH, some places expect you to use two whole (maybe more) years on the training grant, and you finish your 18 clinical months around that whenever the program wants or needs - you spend 4 years in fellowship (maybe more). To top that off, people on visas can't be on a NIH training grant (at least not a T32). Just because the ACGME will allow 18 months for research don't expect most places to give it to you. The question was a bout what you want to do with your life and training and if you're not interested in a research heavy academic career, then you shouldn't care about Brigham.

Please post any other interviews or rejections.
So far interviews mentioned here:
Vandy
Winthrop
Cleveland
BU
University of Rochester
Brigham
Vermont

Please add on to the list.

Does anyone know if pre-match offers are allowed in this match cycle?
are all positions going to match?

Add Yale to the list of interview invites

They won't toss out a letter, but will simply only download the first 3 on your que.

I have 4 letters in my application and all the programs that downloaded my application have all the 4. I do not know how they can toss the extra one if they just need 3.

BU? Maybe.

Brigham? No.

I know a lot fo these high power institutions are more hesitant to offer interviews to FMG's due to visa sponsorship issues, is it the same for IMG's that are american citizens?

I know a lot fo these high power institutions are more hesitant to offer interviews to FMG's due to visa sponsorship issues, is it the same for IMG's that are american citizens?

They don't have visa issues. Pulm isn't Overly competitive....yet....So lots of big name places have img, fmg, dos even!

Just alphabetizing and adding Yale per a prior poster and Columbia.

Brigham
BU
Cleveland
Columbia
University of Rochester
Vandy
Vermont
Winthrop
Yale

I have usmle score 98 and 99 in step 1& 2 but only 76 in step 3 .will that affect my chances in getting interview? How Much weight step 3 has compared to step 1& 2 ??pls advice..

I have usmle score 98 and 99 in step 1& 2 but only 76 in step 3 .will that affect my chances in getting interview? How Much weight step 3 has compared to step 1& 2 ??pls advice..

No one cares about step three, except that you passed.

At this point no one really cares about step one or two either.

I have 4 letters in my application and all the programs that downloaded my application have all the 4. I do not know how they can toss the extra one if they just need 3.

You don't know how they can toss it? They just toss it. Your application prints off on pages, and someone collates those pages for review - that person will simply toss the fourth letter.

Just alphabetizing and adding Yale per a prior poster and Columbia.

Brigham
BU
Cleveland
Columbia
University of Rochester
Vandy
Vermont
Winthrop
Yale

Add University of Virginia to the list! First interview, no rejections yet.

My first post ever on SDN. I have been checking this forum since applying recently, thus I thought I would add my interview invites to the list (as notified in order over the last 4-5 days):

- University of North Carolina
- Emory
- University of Texas Southwestern

List of invites so far for all, including previous posts, and adding OSU to the list :

Brigham
BU
Cleveland
Columbia
Emory
North Carolina
Ohio State
Rochester
Texas Southwestern
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Winthrop
Yale

Does anyone know if out of match positions are offered during this fellowship cycle?
or do all positions go to match?

Hey guys, please add Montefiore (Bronx), albert einstein (philly) and winthorp to the list