About the ads

Purchasing Medical Equipment

Discussion in 'Osteopathic' started by Louigee, Sep 18, 1999.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Louigee

Louigee Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Has anyone found a good source for purchasing medical equipment on the web at reasonable or discount prices?

"Louigee"
    UOMHS '03
  2. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
  3. Louigee

Louigee Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Great site! Thank you.

"Louigee"
    UOMHS '03
  4. Caboose

Caboose

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hello all you happy people.
    So, with looming tests and reports, I've decided that it would be a good idea just to go shopping instead of study. I'm justified, I feel, because I'm compiling a Christmas gift list. People think it's hard to shop for me, but all I need is an ENT kit!

I thought I'd mention the idea for equipment gifts this holiday season.

I liked this person's site after glancing at it, but I need a little help. Ebay seems like an option, although I don't know if there's much of a difference between rosenbaum charts, for example. I mean, that's a pretty standard item, right. I'm going to look back at this post in shame, I'm quite sure.

Is it better to get tuning forks with weights? Urrr... I was just given this list and sent out amongst sales people to test and evaluate items I've never used. How is any stethoscope "comfortable" for God's sake?

Any warnings? Links to past threads I haven't found? Links to reliable websites that might exceed "student discounts"? Any extra money you'd like to give me? ...just checking.

Must be off to solve the case of the convulsing newborn in biochem. Jeez.

Happy Thanksgiving, All!! Thanks for your help!

Caboose.

5. Yourmother

Yourmother I'm Chris Hansen..

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Try Ebay.

I built in OR in the shed behind my house. Doing outpatient tummy tucks when it warms up in April.
  6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
  7. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Just a quick tip to all you pre-meds out there:

Don't buy anything other than a stethoscope...maybe a pen-light and a tuning fork. Anybody who buys the otoscope and/or opthalmascope is a sucker. You'll rarely use them, and you can always bum off another sucker or military folk if you do need them. Not worth the 400-800 bucks you 'll pay for them.

If you're military, the above does not apply to you. Buy everything and charge the gubb-ment!
  8. Cancer Man

Cancer Man

Post Doc
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ebay. Pure and simple. Let me give you an example... In my quest to become a Dark Lord of the OMM Sith, I have procured a table with which to practice.

There was a student organization on campus selling OMM tables as a fund raiser. They were very good and high quality tables. They were also selling them for a rather large sum of money. I purchased mine on ebay for 1/4 the price they were asking.

If you are buying tools, try to buy factory direct or get in with some sort of promotional sale (school, hospital, etc.) But all things being equal. You really don't need much more than a stethoscope, tuning fork, and maybe a pen light during your first year. Now if you are being sent to a school or nursing home to do screenings, you will need the whole kit.

Do some shopping around. You can buy things fairly cheap if you look in the right places.
  9. zac16125

zac16125

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Besides the stethoscope, buy the cheapest equipment you can find, because odds are you will never use it after you're done with those silly patient encounters you have in the first two years.
  10. dozitgetchahi

dozitgetchahi

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This is great advice. If you don't want to be bumming oto/opthalmoscopes off everyone else (and don't want to pay Welch Allyn's prices either), the kits sold at this site (http://www.rabock.com/diagnostic_kits.htm) are a good alternative. I've been using the my kit from this site for the past year with no real problems, and a bunch of other people in my class have liked mine so much they bought their own. The quality is really pretty decent for the price.

Also, if your school is anything like ours and has otoscopes/opthalmoscopes hanging on the wall in its standardized patient labs, then there's really no reason to buy this stuff (I only did so because they told us at the beginning of the year that the equipment sometimes breaks down and there's no guarantee it'll be working when you need to use it).
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011