Purdue c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McGovernator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I would get this one started! Anyone else out there applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm now undecided! I know they don't have a lot to offer in terms of wildlife but I'm not sure if I should rule it out completely because of that. I'm still applying to a couple of schools without wildlife resources, but i dont know if purdue should be one of them. Can any boilermakers or past applicants help me out?

I'm now undecided! I know they don't have a lot to offer in terms of wildlife but I'm not sure if I should rule it out completely because of that. I'm still applying to a couple of schools without wildlife resources, but i dont know if purdue should be one of them. Can any boilermakers or past applicants help me out?

I applied because of their research programs since I'm interested in research. I can tell you what I liked and didn't like about the school when I interviewed there, if you're interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied because of their research programs since I'm interested in research. I can tell you what I liked and didn't like about the school when I interviewed there, if you're interested.

Yes please!

Absolutely! I've heard that purdue is a beautiful school. Any info you can provide is much appreciated!

I'm not sure about this school either. I know they are expensive and place heavy emphasis on academics (55%) which is more than Cornell.

My friend applied here a couple years ago interested in doing a PhD/DVM combine.

I guess they are a big research school but I don't know much about it. Can't decide if I want to apply here yet either.

Okay so for those of you who asked, here ya go. Keep in mind this is what I thought personally, so take this with a grain of salt. Oh and remember this was during an interview, not like a scheduled visit or open house thing...

-Students are really friendly and it really felt like a family thing.
-faculty was also really nice and during my interview spoke about what they did
-faculty also stated that they love working at Purdue and feel honored to teach the vet students there
-the dean met with each of us personally to answer any questions we had
-there was a financial aid workshop after the interviews that we could attend. The lady in charge went through all the steps of the FAFSA, how to fill it out as a grad student, what each loan type meant and what is available for us as vet students. I found this to be the MOST helpful thing ever!
-the school itself is nice - their research department is awesome (one of the reason I personally applied there)
-the teaching hospital is really cool and well set up (can't remember exactly right now...)
-You start looking at case studies during your first year when you take anatomy
-as far as I know, they don't favor IS or OOS specifically. They're more mixed.

Dislikes
-location...you're in West Lafayette, IN for crying out loud so the town's not too big - plus you're stuck being a boilermaker for the next 4 years
-the people around the school - I literally left feeling depressed cuz it seemed like the people didn't talk to each other outside of class
-the school is not the best looking asthetically - seems kinda old and needs to be remodeled
-if you have horses, good luck finding a place to board them
-the area in general is not the safest in the world. Granted no place is completely safe, but West Lafayette just seemed sketchy to me
-the waitlists - if your IS and get waitlisted, you have a better chance of making it. If you're OOS and waitlisted, only like the top 2 or 3 get in, it never moves.

Hope that helps some of you. Remember, this is my personal feeling about Purdue. I think its a great school, so don't let my experiences stop you from applying if you want to go there.

Figured I'd throw my thoughts into the ring - I went to Purdue for my undergraduate degree and was accepted into C/O 2016.

I lived in Lafayette and West Lafayette during my time at Purdue before and like any town it has good and bad neighborhoods. W. Laf and Laf aren't the greatest Indiana has to offer but let me assure you its a perfectly comfortable and safe town.

It is true that the vet school buildings themselves are a little outdated but they did talk with us about several renovations that were happening with some of the major class rooms and labs. Also - Purdue just announced final plans for a new high performance equine facility :) Wooo!

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/legend/index.php

Also - I boarded a horse during undergrad and have talked with a few people that have boarded recently and there are definitely places to board your horse.

Very true on the wait list for OOS vs IS - they did pull from the OOS wait list this year but it's not much. Purdue does however take a higher percentage of OOS than most schools - the class is almost 50/50 OOS/IS students - so if you are a strong OOS candidate your have a good chance of getting in.

I did not interview anywhere else so I don't have much to compare it with. I can tell you from my personal experience during my interview and what I have heard about their program - its a very family oriented program and VERY supportive of their students. I loved living in Lafayette during my undergrad even though its not a place I would chose to settle in the long term. The faculty that I had the chance to meet during my interview day were WONDERFUL! I left the interview banquet dinner very excited about the possibility of going to school there.

One up side to applying to Purdue is they do not have any additional application material. So its not a huge application commitment in terms of time an energy - money yes but not time.

Hope my thoughts have been helpful. I'm more than happy to answer questions about the school as best I can.

Good luck in your applications!

Thanks so much zanydogz and cypress! I live in Rhode Island so I really have no exposure to the area near Purdue. Location is important to me because I don't want to spend 4 years living in the middle of nowhere...but I also attended UConn undergrad which is in the farmlands so I obviously don't hate it too much haha

Thanks so much zanydogz and cypress! I live in Rhode Island so I really have no exposure to the area near Purdue. Location is important to me because I don't want to spend 4 years living in the middle of nowhere...but I also attended UConn undergrad which is in the farmlands so I obviously don't hate it too much haha

Also - Purdue is not far from Indianapolis which is a nice city and not too far from Chicago - which has good stuff to do as well.

Also - Purdue is not far from Indianapolis which is a nice city and not too far from Chicago - which has good stuff to do as well.

:thumbup: I think its also relatively close to Cincinnati, Ohio, which is a cool place to check out.

Thanks for the insight! I've still got some thinking to do. I calculated my sci/core GPA for Purdue and its :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: ... above the 3.0 minimum, but not by much. Don't know if i should risk it or just try for a better fit.

My GPA is just slightly above the 3.00 mark as well and I was successful - I'm IS so that probably helped me some. You could always shoot them an email and get some feedback from them? With a little pushing I did get some good feed back on my application materials from them in the past.

What is your IS school?

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is just slightly above the 3.00 mark as well and I was successful - I'm IS so that probably helped me some. You could always shoot them an email and get some feedback from them? With a little pushing I did get some good feed back on my application materials from them in the past.

What is your IS school?

Hmmm. I might consider doing that. I'm IS at Illinois, but I'm really hoping to go somewhere else (yeah, I know it's going to be more expensive but I really need to get out of there). My GPA is 3.49 which is a little lower than their past averages but not by much. And I my GRE's were 79 % for Q and V. So I'm hoping that my GRE with cancel out my not strong core gpa, which by their calculation is like 3.06 or something close to that.

Hmmm. I might consider doing that. I'm IS at Illinois, but I'm really hoping to go somewhere else (yeah, I know it's going to be more expensive but I really need to get out of there). My GPA is 3.49 which is a little lower than their past averages but not by much. And I my GRE's were 79 % for Q and V. So I'm hoping that my GRE with cancel out my not strong core gpa, which by their calculation is like 3.06 or something close to that.

I would say its worth a go! What I've come to realize that its actually not about your stats - its a part of it for sure - but really it comes down to luck - who else is applying this year - what pool of applicants you fall into - and who reads your information - I have a friend that was rejected out right from Purdue (her IS school) but interviewed at 2 OOS schools - was wait listed at both and then accepted! Another friend was wait listed at Purdue (her IS) but accepted to Colorado, WI, and MN. You just never can tell. Sometimes it's worth spending the money on the application because it might be the school that picks you from the group :)

It only takes one yes!

I would say its worth a go! What I've come to realize that its actually not about your stats - its a part of it for sure - but really it comes down to luck - who else is applying this year - what pool of applicants you fall into - and who reads your information - I have a friend that was rejected out right from Purdue (her IS school) but interviewed at 2 OOS schools - was wait listed at both and then accepted! Another friend was wait listed at Purdue (her IS) but accepted to Colorado, WI, and MN. You just never can tell. Sometimes it's worth spending the money on the application because it might be the school that picks you from the group :)

It only takes one yes!

Thanks for this! You're absolutely right! Last cycle, I was rejected outright from my IS but interviewed and am waitlisted at Kansas! (I didn't apply to purdue at all!) Everything you said just shows that there are 12347 factors that come in to play with the decision of who to accept and who to reject with vet med. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm thinking yes to Purdue! :thumbup:

My GPA is just slightly above the 3.00 mark as well and I was successful - I'm IS so that probably helped me some.

Really? I am IS and am really nervous about my GPA. How were your GRE scores?

Really? I am IS and am really nervous about my GPA. How were your GRE scores?

Decent - scored 1220 total - higher quantitative than verbal. Only took them once. I did end up getting a master's degree to help boost my application after being rejected initially.

What are you other stats? Whats your background? Purdue is big on diversity - so the more you can make yourself stand out from the crowd the better.

Woo for Purdue! I've been waiting to apply here since I was in third grade.

I LOVE Purdue, but then again it is where I'm currently attending for undergrad, so I may be a little biased :) I live a 5 minute walk from the vet school, and it's tough to walk by it without hoping I'm actually going to get to attend there. :xf:

My opinions pretty much mirror Cypress'. I come from a small town, so Laff/West Laff is large to me and has everything I need, but Chicago is only 3 hours away and Indy an hour and a half if you do desire anything outside the area. There are good and bad neighborhoods just like there are everywhere. I personally have not had any problems, but I do make sure I don't walk home alone at night since the street to my apartment isn't lit very well (not saying this is a raging problem, it just makes me feel safer).

If you live off-campus, I believe I have heard that parking is kind of an issue. Maybe Cypress can help me with this?

I had a meeting with Dr. Jim Weisman, the director of student services for the vet school, and he was very friendly and welcoming. He gladly met with me to discuss my standings for applying, gave me some tips, etc. I haven't ran into anyone in the vet school who has not been friendly, so I suppose that is a good sign!

Decent - scored 1220 total - higher quantitative than verbal. Only took them once. I did end up getting a master's degree to help boost my application after being rejected initially.

What are you other stats? Whats your background? Purdue is big on diversity - so the more you can make yourself stand out from the crowd the better.

I'm curious on your take of my stats, if that's ok. Using the old GRE scale, I received ~1050. Using the new scale, I got 148 V (36%), 150 Q (43%), and 3.5 A (30%). I'm not planning on retaking the GRE since Purdue only averages all of your attempts. I have a 3.71 cGPA. How do you feel I stand, since 55% is weighted on it? (I am IS for Purdue)

Also, what would you say are some things to help you stand out in the application pool? I went to Romania on a study abroad this summer, and I'm a member of the Purdue "All-American" Marching Band (I've also had leadership positions the past two years). Are these considered strong examples?

*I'm so sorry to bomb you guys with such a long post! I hope my information helped at least a little! Good luck to everyone!*

Boiler, what is your vet/animal experience like?

I grew up on a farm, 10 Year 4-Her showing cattle and swine, experienced the vet coming to our place, administered boosters/medication to our cattle, had a small bit of LA farm calls this year and in high school, help with beef events at our county fair (weigh-in, shows, etc), help my sister with her 4-H livestock, still show Shorthorn cattle in junior and open shows, my mom and I are starting our own Shorthorn business, volunteered at a mixed animal clinic one summer 2-3 days a week in high school, worked for the past two years in a spay/neuter clinic (40-50 hrs/wk in the summer), went on a service learning study abroad to Romania for animal/food security, walked around with the show vet at Shorthorn Junior N'tls, trained/showed a calf in the Royal Showmanship sponsored by Block and Bridle, and went on an animal industry tour (not sure if this would count, though).

Also, would a beef management class count? I'm taking one this fall.

I know that as of the applicant list page not many of us applied to Purdue... But has anyone heard anything?

I've heard not a peep... no confirmation of all materials recieved, nothing.

I'm not sure about OOS but for IS, Purdue should be sending interview notifications the week of December 9. I'm an undergrad here, and that is what Dr. Weisman has said at the application call-outs. That's finals week for us...he apologized in advance for the stressful timing! haha

I'm not sure about OOS but for IS, Purdue should be sending interview notifications the week of December 9. I'm an undergrad here, and that is what Dr. Weisman has said at the application call-outs. That's finals week for us...he apologized in advance for the stressful timing! haha

If I remember correctly, and Cypress please correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't get a confirmation email from Purdue. I knew my materials were in since I called to confirm, but that's it. I suddenly got an invite via email randomly in December.

Good luck guys! :luck::xf::luck::xf:

Only thing I got was a confirmation that they received my course verification form..

Yup - never received confirmation emails.

And they ALWAYS send interview invites and rejections either week of or week before finals. I received my first rejection from them right before I started a 4 final stretch - horrible timing - but held it together and killed my finals.

Got my interview invite the day I started finals last year. Last year was the first year they sent invites and rejections BOTH via email on the same day.

Hang in there everyone! Stay the course - keep focused on classes from this semester and don't let the looming deadline get to you too much. Don't obsess with checking email - remember finals from this semester will matter for your application - so keep calm and carry on.

If anyone has any questions about Purdue don't hesitate to ask! I'm here now and LOVING it :)

And finals are when exactly this year? So I can wish you good luck of course. :)

Totally forgot I applied to Purdue until I scrolled down the thread front page. "Oh, Purdue. I applied there. Oh yeah." CLICK.

So we should expect no email info at all until the interview/denial letter?

Totally forgot I applied to Purdue until I scrolled down the thread front page. "Oh, Purdue. I applied there. Oh yeah." CLICK.

So we should expect no email info at all until the interview/denial letter?

Yea, pretty much. I remember not hearing anything until I suddenly got an email about the interview invite around mid December like 2 months later.

Just going to throw this out there in the hopes that someone empathizes- Purdue is my IS and this week of waiting (it's actually only been two days so far, lolz) has been absolutely agonizing.

I actually feel like Purdue is the most demanding of any of the schools I've applied to as far as pre-reqs and academic performance goes, so I wouldn't be surprised if I got into several of my OOS and not here...

Last edited:
Oh. It's mid December. Hello - not sure where my heads been.

Do we know for sure invites will be coming out soon?

Oh. It's mid December. Hello - not sure where my heads been.

Do we know for sure invites will be coming out soon?

From what everyone has said it seems they will come out the week that Purdue has finals week. I don't go to Purdue, but I'm guessing that would be this week! I'm hoping for some good news :)

Yes, our finals are this week...and checking my email every 15 minutes is not healthy for my study habits :hungover: They already apologized for making it the same week as finals. So stressful!

And christiansenle, we're not all that bad ;)

I'm really excited to just hear something! I haven't heard a word out of any of the schools that I applied to yet.

I'm on the same page as all of you, and now my nerves are in full swing with finals and anxiously waiting to hear something from any of the schools I applied to. :/

Hang in there guys!! Nothing you can do at this point - so just focus on finals - I know easier said then done - I had my husband change my email password last year and promise to not tell me anything until I was done with my 5 finals. Good or Bad.

This was a good plan in theory - he broke down and gave me the good news right before my first final - which was the just boost I needed.

Just keep hanging in there - the waiting is the toughest part.

Good luck with finals!

Hang in there guys!! Nothing you can do at this point - so just focus on finals - I know easier said then done - I had my husband change my email password last year and promise to not tell me anything until I was done with my 5 finals. Good or Bad.

This was a good plan in theory - he broke down and gave me the good news right before my first final - which was the just boost I needed.

Just keep hanging in there - the waiting is the toughest part.

Good luck with finals!

:thumbup:

Thanks, Cypress! Good luck on your finals as well!

Has anyone started getting emails? I'm getting nervous because I haven't heard a thing.

Has anyone started getting emails? I'm getting nervous because I haven't heard a thing.
I haven't heard anything either- I can't tell you how many times I've refreshed my inbox/spambox/trash.

Okay, hearing that is a little bit of a relief. I have heard on the forums that invites/declinations would be released "the week of the 9th." I called the admissions office on Monday and was told they would be sent out "by the end of the week." I've been agonizing over what the "end of the week" meant since. But I assume it must be today since today's the end of the work week.

For those of you that were saying the interview invites would go out during Purdue's finals week, was that for IS or OOS students?

For those of you that were saying the interview invites would go out during Purdue's finals week, was that for IS or OOS students?
I looked at the official interview invites page from c/o 2016 and it looks like both OOS and IS applicants got their invites this week.

I'd like to know that myself...

I am and OOS student, and I called the admissions office and they told me "by the end of the week." I didn't specify whether I was IS or OOS, however...

I looked at the official interview invites page from c/o 2016 and it looks like both OOS and IS applicants got their invites this week.

I am and OOS student, and I called the admissions office and they told me "by the end of the week." I didn't specify whether I was IS or OOS, however...

:scared: Yikes, okay! Thanks for the quick replies! Hopefully we'll hear something soon then.

By the end of the week? So in like an hour!?

Just got my interview (OOS)! Picked 1/18 for the date, but will need to wait for confirmation. First thing I've heard from anyone... what a relief

Spoke too soon!!! Interview OFFER!!!!!! OOS!!!!
Picking 1/18.

Just got an interview offer! OOS! Also picked the 18th!
Congrats to everyone else who also got an interview!! :laugh: