Purdue c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone got in with a scholarship?
I have no idea? How do you check such things? I believe the dean said we would be mailed all the info we needed. But I have no idea when. I was too busy doing a happy dance to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We will get our full acceptance packages in the mail soon, they are mailing them out this week. As for financial aid we won't hear back until the first week in April.

I am waitlisted as well... I'm in the process of looking into backup plans for the year and then reapply the next cycle.[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else started to look at housing? I've been comparing townhouses and I feel like some of them are so much cheaper that they must be in shady neighborhoods or something...

Reactions: 1 user
I did my undergrad at Purdue and here is what I can tell you about housing. Usually stuff that is close to the vet school (within walking distance) is going to be more expensive and if it's not it's really crappy. Then in regards to area I would say try to stay in West Lafayette. Not to say Lafayette is a bad area but if you stay across the bridge in West Lafayette you typically are guaranteed a safer place. You can usually find great housing off campus which takes less than ten minutes to drive and you will get a nice place that is usually huge, plus you won't need as many roommates. Also consider looking at the DVM housing list of the Purdue vet schools website. I know I'm not only looking for a roommate but so are plenty of other students. Again congrats on your acceptance evilsquirrel, can't wait to be classmates!!

I've heard Franklin Park apartments are nice, plus you get a discount being a professional student. They are less than a 10 minute drive from campus, and far enough away to get a parking pass. They are right by walmart. I live with Cochran apartments. They are really nice and the apartments include all utilities (Super nice this winter because we could turn the heat up as much as we wanted!) Some of their apartments accept pets (Benchmark II where I live does) and they are within walking distance to the vet school!
Check out boilerapartments.com if you haven't already. I'm excited to be classmates with you guys!

I did my undergrad at Purdue and here is what I can tell you about housing. Usually stuff that is close to the vet school (within walking distance) is going to be more expensive and if it's not it's really crappy. Then in regards to area I would say try to stay in West Lafayette. Not to say Lafayette is a bad area but if you stay across the bridge in West Lafayette you typically are guaranteed a safer place. You can usually find great housing off campus which takes less than ten minutes to drive and you will get a nice place that is usually huge, plus you won't need as many roommates. Also consider looking at the DVM housing list of the Purdue vet schools website. I know I'm not only looking for a roommate but so are plenty of other students. Again congrats on your acceptance evilsquirrel, can't wait to be classmates!!
Thank you! I think some of the houses were in Layfayette. I'm trying to get a house rather than an apartment because my boyfriend is going to be moving with me and I would like to have more than one bedroom. The price of apartments is really close to that of the houses and the only difference is a 10 minute drive which I am A-OK with lol.

Thank you! I think some of the houses were in Layfayette. I'm trying to get a house rather than an apartment because my boyfriend is going to be moving with me and I would like to have more than one bedroom. The price of apartments is really close to that of the houses and the only difference is a 10 minute drive which I am A-OK with lol.
I live in a house in Lafayette. Although the neighbors may be more...interesting than those you would have in West Lafayette, I would hardly call it unsafe. Lafayette/West Lafayette traffic is a non-issue, so your drive would pretty much always be about ten minutes. If you're wanting a house with more than one bedroom, you will get much more value in Lafayette. Overall, I feel like my rent is a really good deal. House w/fenced in yard, my own room and bathroom, for under 350/mo. That said, a lot of Purdue students will say Lafayette is "sketchy," but IMO it is a good place to live if you want a little more space. Again, I have never had any problems or felt unsafe.

Also, Lafayette is a really quiet place to live. I've appreciated it when I'm trying to focus on school.

Has anyone received their admission package yet? I know they were suppose to mail it this week but I want to know when to expect it

Me too! I'm trying to do all the account crap now haha

Now my bank account is on E (why did it have to be $1,000?!). All the stupid snow days :( If only I could defer my loan payments BEFORE classes started :dead:

I didn't get mine yet :( which is strange because I live in West Lafayette. Did it come via regular mail or like fedex?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like a lot of vet students live off-campus but when I looked at parking options, there didn't seem to be a lot of choices. Does anyone know how miserable it is to try to find a parking spot in the mornings? They seem to be smaller and more expensive, but would it be less stressful to find an apartment within walking distance and not have to worry about parking?

So parking at purdue is awful. You would only be eligible for a C pass and there isn't a lot of C parking. Since we will have super early classes, it might be easy to get a spot, but if you want to drive home during breaks it will be hard to find a spot.

I think if it's that big of a problem, I will take the bus. I just don't want to pay $1,000 in monthly rent not including gas/sewage/trash/electric just to be able to walk to the campus. I don't want no stinkin' roommates! haha

I really don't think parking is that bad to be honest. You can always find parking but some is further away from others. There is one lot right near the vet school that all the vet students use because they are there so early. It fills up quick so if you can't find a spot there, the vet students I know just go park in the discovery lot. Discovery never runs out of parking and there is a bus that will get you to Lynn in less than 2 minutes

So also here are the pros and cons of living on and off campus (I live off campus currently but my boyfriend lives on). Off campus allows you to get double the size place for almost half the cost. Typically it's quieter and a good way to get away from seeing school all day. On the downside you have to drive and not only that, it's in the cold too. I will admit I hate having to wake up and sometimes push snow off my car. Once I get to campus I usually park in discovery and take the bus to wherever I need to get to. The other downside is if you forget something at home. But that's why you plan ahead! As far as on campus, the apartments are more expensive by a lot unless you live with roommates. Most (not all) have not been renovated in awhile but they are usually pretty clean nonetheless. It is much louder to live on campus as well. The buildings are older so you hear your neighbors and those neighbors are more than likely undergrads. On the flip side you live right there so there is never a problem of forgetting something and you can have lunch at home. I will say look at the "walking time" though! Some apartment places say they are 10-15 minutes walking distance, but with the negative weather we have been experiencing lately I would hate to walk that far! Also check out what parking the apartment place as available. Most places on campus will charge you to have a parking spot but some don't have any at all. My boyfriend ran into this problem because his complex ran a parking lottery and he did not end up with a space. That basically means no car since Purdue doesn't allow parking passes for people on campus. Again it's just where you place your priorities. Neither is going to be right or wrong, just do the research to figure out what you need.

Congrats on getting in to Purdue everyone! If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I attached the insider's guide we were given last year. Honestly, I know it's exciting, but don't worry about anything. Nothing will start happening until late May, early June. Even then it seems like it will take forever. I would start looking to see if you can find cheap books on amazon, or if you want you can wait to see if your big sib will be willing to let you borrow/buy their books. I bought nearly all my books for 300 dollars (which included like 5 histo books and at least one book for all the big classes except for physio). If you do decide to buy your books off amazon, sign up for amazon prime for students. you get a free 60 day trial and free 2 day shipping on qualifying orders. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. and for the financial packet they're sending you, I think I didn't get my full financial aid package until like july and you can't take out your loans until august or something. So start saving up for the laptop now because you'll have to purchase it before you receive your loan money. If you have more specific questions let me know!

Attachments

• Insiders Guide 2017.pdf
    500.1 KB · Views: 129
Just got called off the waitlist...I've kinda already committed to UF. But I really wanted to go Purdue.

Just got called off the waitlist...I've kinda already committed to UF. But I really wanted to go Purdue.

I would say go wherever you want to go. The deposit isn't in stone. It sucks losing the money, but wherever you'll be happiest is a lot more important. I have felt that the hardest part of vet school isn't necessarily the academic aspect as it is the being happy aspect. You'll get a good curriculum wherever you go, but I know a lot of people that chose Purdue because of the family atmosphere. And I can't imagine that any other class is more supportive of each other than mine. I'm not trying to convince you to come to Purdue or anything, but it's important for your own happiness to go where you feel like you will succeed the best. Whichever school it is, congratulations on getting in to vet school! It is quite the accomplishment!

If you have any questions about Purdue please feel free to ask!

It seems like this waitlist has been pretty quiet so far. Anyone else heard anything?

Remember it is only the 16th. I've seen 2 people come off of the waitlist so far.

Remember it is only the 16th. I've seen 2 people come off of the waitlist so far.
And I declined my spot from the waitlist today so it'll move at least that spot! Good luck everyone!

Recieved a call today and declined! Goodluck you guys!

No one wants to join me :(

I am officially accepted to Purdue's class of 2018!!!! =) Now I'm in the process of looking for a roommate! Does anyone here need a roommate? (p.s. evilsquirrel I want to join you at Purdue lol!)

Heads up Purdue waitlisters! I will, with a heavy heart, be dropping my position at Purdue to take one offered to me by my top school from their waitlist today.

Hey if anyone is looking for housing at Purdue I have a contact for you! Here is the description from her

"if you are still looking for housing please let me know. I am a 4th year veterinary student at Purdue graduating in 2015. It is a 2 bedroom apartment with the room to be rented out is the master bedroom with a walk in closet. The bathroom has his and her sinks and there is a washer and dryer in the apartment. I live about a 5 minute drive from the vet school, rent is $350 and there are no pet fees. Electric runs from $100 - $150 and internet is $50 a month. Please let me know if you are interested."

Please private message me for more info and contact info!

So did any IS people receive scholarships from Purdue?