Pursuing a Pharmacologist career- Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The1Student

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new BSN grad/RN who has an interest in a career in pharmacology. I loved my pharm classes and took additional related classes to go towards my degree. I thought about pharmacy school but I'm not sure if that's the direction I want to go in. I recently discovered the career of a pharmacologist (or pharmaceutical scientist?) and it really caught my interest. However, I'm having a hard time finding a lot of information about it besides the job duties.

Is this a job that is in demand and is it something that you'd recommend as a career for someone? What are the best employment settings for this career? I can't seem to find any job prospects. Also, what kind of salary do they make? I plan on getting a PhD.
Also, does being a clinical pharmacologist require an MD?

I would really love some opinions and/or any other information. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

According to UCSF's website you can be a physician, PharmD, or a PhD

I have also looked into pharmacology. I am currently working as an undergraduate researcher in my universities pharmacology department. I don't know what the job demand for a pharmacologist; I think it usually depends on what your research emphasis is. Job settings include academics (working for a university or college), industrial pharmaceutical companies, or hospitals. Which is best is pretty much an opinion.

I have just applied to pharmacy school, but I looked into PhD programs for pharmacology. I think it's harder to get into a PhD program than pharmacy school. Less people apply to these programs, but from my understanding, graduate programs tend to pick people who have researched in topics related (which is a huge variety) to the graduate professor's interests.

Members don't see this ad :)